Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 01:31 PM   #41
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Don't worry guys, we'll draft a brand new #1C in a few months, and then all our "forwards playing out of position, and out of their depth etc" stuff will be a thing of the past.

Right?
Yes, and with the forward ranks solved completely, we'll end up playing matthew phillips on D
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:43 PM   #42
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Every time a tweener is inserted into the lineup, fans get all upset and start clambering that they're a tweener and shouldn't displace a better player.

News flash: it's always temporary!

Relax. He's a tweener because... well, because he's a tweener. And Kuzmenko will be back in the lineup soon enough.
Hunt doesn't play on Saturday if Kuzmenko was able to go.

Flipping Hunt and Pelletier made both lines better.

You could make the argument that Pelletier should come out of the lineup if Kuzmenko can suit up for the next game.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:02 PM   #43
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yes, and with the forward ranks solved completely, we'll end up playing matthew phillips on D
Ha!

100% off topic story that is most likely only funny to me...

I bought a PS5 a few months back and just last night I finally fired up the old Be A Pro mode in NHL 24. I made a 6' 2" 208lbs right-shot RW power forward, and picked the Flames as my team... first preseaon game, I'm on the bench and hearing names like Lucic and Zadorov and Lewis, and I'm like... wtf... I was thinking of starting over and checking for a roster update, but it was a lot of work to get this far, so I was just gonna go with it... until I got out there for a faceoff and my center was Matthew Philips.

And that was the story of how I now have the latest NHL rosters in my NHL 24 game.

Edit: Although in hindsight, I wish I had made my guy a center. I'm now playing on the top line, and while I really like Kadri, the guy literally never passes me the puck lol.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-26-2024 at 02:07 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 02:20 PM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo Jr. View Post
I disagree. Remember his interview where he scored the GWG after giving up a goal off his PP turnover? The guys was pretty mortified.

I think everyone has to chill a bit, Kuz is still fighting the bowel demons.
Spoken like a man that just returned from Mexico!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 04:22 PM   #45
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Coach has a weird love for Hunt. Saw this at the start of the year too. Good game out of him on Saturday, but thats not the norm.

I agree, Kuzmenko may actually be hurt, not just sick.

Edit - Or was hurt
Hunt is Huska’s Lucic
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:03 PM   #46
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Hunt is Huska’s Lucic
Greer is Huska's Lucic.

If he is back from injury before season end, Hunt (maybe Duehr) will be in the press box...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:04 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree. Greer has earned his ice time honestly. Just like Zary and Pospisil have.

And Hunt has been been playing well while he's been here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 09:39 AM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Disagree. Greer has earned his ice time honestly. Just like Zary and Pospisil have.

And Hunt has been been playing well while he's been here.
I don't think I can recall a bad game by Greer. In fact, the 4th line has generally been solid outside of Ruzicka and maybe a little bit lacking in Duehr compared to last season. And of course the player who cannot be named. Greer, Hunt, Rooney have all played nicely in their roles. Even Klapka and Schwindt seemed fine.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 09:42 AM   #49
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think I can recall a bad game by Greer. In fact, the 4th line has generally been solid outside of Ruzicka and maybe a little bit lacking in Duehr compared to last season. And of course the player who cannot be named. Greer, Hunt, Rooney have all played nicely in their roles. Even Klapka and Schwindt seemed fine.
Agreed
AND
Duehr has been playing a lot better lately
All In Good Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:46 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Watching Pelletier with that fourth line is interesting. He has a knack for finding players in seams and putting the puck on their stick.

With Rooney and Duehr though that often ends with a heeling of the puck.

Looking forward to Pelletier moving up the roster.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 09:48 AM   #51
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

As good as Mangi and the Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman trio have been for us I think Pelts would really benefit a great deal playing with Backs and Coleman.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 10:10 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Watching Pelletier with that fourth line is interesting. He has a knack for finding players in seams and putting the puck on their stick.

With Rooney and Duehr though that often ends with a heeling of the puck.

Looking forward to Pelletier moving up the roster.
I love Pelts but I think he is a middle sixer at best. His motor is great, he has some skill, but finishing seems to be an issue. Which is alos why I have not gone along with the "put him with Huberdeau" notion despite their obvious off ice affinity.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:19 AM   #53
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah don't love the way Huska is managing Kuzmenko...he's made the odd mistake.
Why? He's a flawed player that needs to adapt to the Flames and his expectations. Sharangovich had to go through the same adjustment and he's far better off in terms of all around game play.

I don't see anything wrong with pushing the player to be better. As for current usage - it's nothing more than letting the player recover from an illness.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:26 AM   #54
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Maybe he is just still under the weather but it feels like Kuzy has fallen out of favour with Huska. Guess we'll see what happens over the next few games.
I recall Huska saying specifically about Kuzmenko dropping down in one of the games that it was more about the other line (not Kuzmenko) not having it and needing a shakeup and swapping Kuzmenko down made the most sense (probably didn't want to swap Sharangovich or Huberdeau with the other player). Not sure if that's also the case for the other games when he hasn't bee on the top line though.

Regardless, I trust Huska looking at his entire body of work this season. He's done a good job getting the team to come play for 90% of the games and being ready and his systems clearly work when the players execute. Despite what a small minority on CP keep saying (they haven't made noise a lot in 2024 though)!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM   #55
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
For me, you take out Mangi who has been extremely mid, to wake him up a bit.
Mangiapane has been one of the top opportunity creators in the league (not just Flames) all season and also is top 5 I think in points on the team. For me, that's not mid.
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:16 AM   #56
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I do wonder if coaches have an issue with Kuzmenko’s positive attitude at times… weird thing to say, I know, but can anyone speak to how he acts on the bench when things aren’t going well? I could see the happy-go-lucky attitude bothering coaches if the team was playing bad and he was keeping it light and happy on the bench. I honestly have no idea if he’s doing that at all or if any coach has a problem with his attitude. Just thought he played well in the game on Thursday yet was benched for most of the 3rd period.

It could just be a case of Hunt being rewarded for playing well more than Kuzmenko being punished for anything.
\

There was a post game interview when Huska spoke about Kuzmenko's positivity and energy and in his answer he compared Kuzmenko's positivity to Pelletier saying that it was the same kind of energy and comments except for their English, jokingly, so I doubt the coaching staff has any issue with either of those guys.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:20 AM   #57
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Mangiapane has been one of the top opportunity creators in the league (not just Flames) all season and also is top 5 I think in points on the team. For me, that's not mid.
FWIW he's 7th on the Flames in points and goals, which is pretty mid when you consider that he's being outscored by 2 defenceman that aren't exactly elite offensive producers from the blueline.

He does a lot of heavy lifting in some areas, but he also seems woeful at beating a goaltender with a shot or winning one on one battles for pucks.

I was a big fan of his but have not liked his game ever since he signed the extension. He rarely gets into the netfront areas with tenacity anymore, which was key to him scoring at a high rate 2 years ago.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

My concern over Mangiapane is when does he end up blocking others? Or do they just move him down the lineup?

Coronato would benefit next season on Backlund's line. Pelletier could as well. What if they acquire a young winger at the deadline who projects as a top 6 next season?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:30 AM   #59
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I love Pelts but I think he is a middle sixer at best. His motor is great, he has some skill, but finishing seems to be an issue. Which is alos why I have not gone along with the "put him with Huberdeau" notion despite their obvious off ice affinity.
I'm fine with middle six.

But currently he's bottom three.

He's a heads up player, not a goal scorer, but can keep a cycle alive and find those seams.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:41 AM   #60
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
My concern over Mangiapane is when does he end up blocking others? Or do they just move him down the lineup?

Coronato would benefit next season on Backlund's line. Pelletier could as well. What if they acquire a young winger at the deadline who projects as a top 6 next season?
How is one of the highest creating guys on the roster blocking others? He's playing third line LW and thriving.