Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 09:21 AM   #381
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
No one is questioning if he has had a good game*, we are questioning if he can string together a full season. I know folks are tired of the conversation, but it is the first year of a 10.5million dollar cap hit contract that will last another 7 years, and the player in question is on pace for 52 points.

That is alarming front page news for any team.

At this rate, it will be considered a success if he can somehow reach 60 or 70 points in a season ( in that case he will only be 2-3M over paid).

E=NG
But none of that is new.

Is post game after beating Edmonton when the player had two assists the right time to walk out more contract frustration?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 09:21 AM   #382
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one is questioning if he has had a good game*, we are questioning if he can string together a full season. I know folks are tired of the conversation, but it is the first year of a 10.5million dollar cap hit contract that will last another 7 years, and the player in question is on pace for 52 points.

At this rate, it will be considered a success if he can somehow reach 60 or 70 points in a season ( in that case he will only be 2-3M over paid).

E=NG
Sure it is - but this is a PGT of an Oilers beatdown. Time and place.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #383
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But none of that is new.

Is post game after beating Edmonton when the player had two assists the right time to walk out more contract frustration?
I guess I was just a little surprised after reading so many comments about how Huberdeau is on a hot streak just to see that he is only on pace for 50 points.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:27 AM   #384
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

E=NG
Which is fine, and everyone gets that this is still up in the air.

The issue here is why the hell are people bringing that up in a PGT after a glorious beatdown of the Oilers, where he played well and had a couple of apples? Can you not see the issue here?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:28 AM   #385
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I was just a little surprised after reading so many comments about how Huberdeau is on a hot streak just to see that he is only on pace for 50 points.
But if you try just a little bit harder, you'll see that he has been on an 80 point pace for the past 2 months.

Again, the pertinent issue here is why bring this up in the PGT?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 AM   #386
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Which is fine, and everyone gets that this is still up in the air.

The issue here is why the hell are people bringing that up in a PGT after a glorious beatdown of the Oilers, where he played well and had a couple of apples? Can you not see the issue here?
I mean if people were talking about it Saturday night and Sunday. But it's Monday on a non game day. A thread is going to meander.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 AM   #387
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri looks great, totally dialed in. He was a great signing after all.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 AM   #388
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

PPG over 22gp is a pretty good stretch. He does have to sustain it to begin to change the narrative around the league, but it does feel pretty disingenuous to give him no credit until he's light ls out for 82 games straight. Besides, no player is.

I think we should just not be complete vultures about these things and acknowledge good work when its done. He's done good work since the calendar turned, regardless of the price tag.

Every team has dead money and a couple overpaid contracts. I think Nurse's is easily worse. But those contracts are (at least in huby's case) on the prior regime who were acting impulsively at the time. It's not the players fault for accepting the offer put forth to them. You would take it and so would I.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:40 AM   #389
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But none of that is new.

Well said. This thread should be all about beating the lowly Oilers.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:52 AM   #390
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
For all the hate Huberdeau gets. He cares. You never saw Johnny engaged like that vs the Oilers.
Johnny enjoyed scoring and winning against the oil when it happened. What you can say for sure is he didn't hate losing to them nearly enough.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:14 AM   #391
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

E=NG
This is a PGT. So Huberdeau’s performance in the game is relevant. His contract and his future isn’t.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:16 AM   #392
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
PPG over 22gp is a pretty good stretch. He does have to sustain it to begin to change the narrative around the league, but it does feel pretty disingenuous to give him no credit until he's light ls out for 82 games straight. Besides, no player is.

I think we should just not be complete vultures about these things and acknowledge good work when its done. He's done good work since the calendar turned, regardless of the price tag.

Every team has dead money and a couple overpaid contracts. I think Nurse's is easily worse. But those contracts are (at least in huby's case) on the prior regime who were acting impulsively at the time. It's not the players fault for accepting the offer put forth to them. You would take it and so would I.
I would even add Jeff Skinner to that group. He is in his 5th year putting up 23, 14, 63, 82 and so far 36 points over that span. When Skinner signed it was just over 11% of the cap hit, which is pretty comparable to the 12% cap hit that Huberdeau is. Huberdeau is also siting at 36 points so far this season, so at least the return on his first year than Skinner was for Buffalo. So yeah, still not the worst contract. I really like Huberdeau since Christmas.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #393
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

One Huberdeau post generally leads to 10x in return.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:31 AM   #394
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
One Huberdeau post generally leads to 10x in return.
It's especially weird for it to happen is a thread for a game that he played really well in, and has been a key contributor for sustained period of time now. There are times and places to complain, but this isn't it.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:08 AM   #395
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Clearly you have minimal understanding & appreciation for how confidence and coaching work.

Going negative is always available. It’s like the euphemism:

“Any idiot can knock down a barn, but only a skilled carpenter can build one.”

Getting Huberdeau’s play back to the level of his contract isn’t going to happen by dwelling on previous poor performances and looking backwards. They are done. They are gone & in the past.

Letting them go is the starting point. Try it.

As long as he is contributing, being a good teammate, and enjoys helping and mentoring young players, he’s a massive asset to the team.

If he rediscovers his previous game during the reset, that’s a bonus.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:25 AM   #396
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Clearly you have minimal understanding & appreciation for how confidence and coaching work.

Going negative is always available. It’s like the euphemism:

“Any idiot can knock down a barn, but only a skilled carpenter can build one.”

Getting Huberdeau’s play back to the level of his contract isn’t going to happen by dwelling on previous poor performances and looking backwards. They are done. They are gone & in the past.

Letting them go is the starting point. Try it.

As long as he is contributing, being a good teammate, and enjoys helping and mentoring young players, he’s a massive asset to the team.

If he rediscovers his previous game during the reset, that’s a bonus.
I think you're looking a little too hard into what I am saying. I am not his coach, you're not his coach, Huberdeau should not pay attention to anyone on the internet.

I am a customer, who happens to agree with criticisms surrounding Huberdeau's play as it relates to his expectation. He can be a contributing, good teammate, who enjoys helping young players, but so long as he is a 50pt player ( 62 pt player if he keeps up his ppg pace) he is a extremely over paid 3rd liner. I don't think people should be made to feel bad for saying it. But like Bingo said, it isn't news, and bringing it up doesn't change anything. So maybe it isn't worth repeating, except that it is a cautionary tale of signing player over 30 to cap defining contracts.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #397
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

My last comment on the side issue - a hot streak is just that - a streak. If Huberdeau was on pace for 80 points it wouldn't be a streak at all.

But looking back, Huberdeau's lack of production totals is based on a very cold streak in Dec (got his only point in 13 games on the last day) versus mediocre in Oct./Nov (he was about a .75 PPG) and a good Jan/Feb (about 1.0 PPG). Absent that December, He's on a 70 point pace. Not fantastic but much better. And he seems to be picking up steam and getting more comfortable every time out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 01:11 PM   #398
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But if you try just a little bit harder, you'll see that he has been on an 80 point pace for the past 2 months.

Again, the pertinent issue here is why bring this up in the PGT?
Maybe if Huberdeau had had enough points in that game Saturday night to put him on an 80-point pace, they wouldn't have brought it up.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote