Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ontario chain restaurants required to display calorie amounts in 2017

Good idea. I know nutritional information is available online and on paper at some fast food joints, but this will be more in your face. Would like to see this in Alberta as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/calo...menu-1.3535873

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about a siren and flashing light going off every time somebody orders a high calories menu.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good... If you're going to go crazy and eat a 2000+ calorie restaurant meal, do it in ignorance/denial at a proper local restaurant.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They do that in NY.

Awesome for me since when I'm working out (hah haven't done that in a while) I try to eat the highest caloric foods I can.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather not know how many calories I am consuming as I would rather just enjoy eating out. Knowing the calories in most restaurant meals would just make you feel guilty.

Really though I don't know why this is needed. Most people are pretty well aware that a burger and fries is going to he high in fat and calories as are dishes with cream sauces, etc. While I'm sure the calorie count of some salads would surprise the odd person we (Canadians) are generally pretty educated in what's good and bad for us.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Once again the fat-shaming begins. I'm beautiful the way I am!!

On a more serious note, I like this idea. Would make me eat out less probably and I've always been curious about calorie counts.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good. The average person is woefully uneducated about nutrition and the value their food has.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They do that in NY.
I found it to be really useful feature. It won't stop you from eating at a place, but it will push you towards a slightly better option on the menu. In the end, all it does is give the consumer more insight to make a decision with, and thats a great thing.

I also wish Calgary started implementing a big Health Inspection grade sticker in the window, like they do in LA.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would rather not know how many calories I am consuming as I would rather just enjoy eating out. Knowing the calories in most restaurant meals would just make you feel guilty.

Really though I don't know why this is needed. Most people are pretty well aware that a burger and fries is going to he high in fat and calories as are dishes with cream sauces, etc. While I'm sure the calorie count of some salads would surprise the odd person we (Canadians) are generally pretty educated in what's good and bad for us.
I disagree. It helps you make better informed choices. You may be choosing to eat somewhere unhealthy, but even within that, there are better choices that people simply aren't aware of.

It also gives you a momentarily pause for thought that maybe causes you to re-think the size of what you order, or the specific item. All good things.

It isn't perfect. Calories is just one part. But having experienced this - I can tell you that it has shifted what I've ordered. A little bit of information can go a long way.

To put it another way. What's the downside?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calorie information at chain restaurants is probably so out of wack you'd need to add 25% to be in the ballpark.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They do that in NY.

Awesome for me since when I'm working out (hah haven't done that in a while) I try to eat the highest caloric foods I can.
They do it everywhere in the US that I've been. It's never once stopped me from buying something, but it is nice to know, because it has made me think about not getting an extra chocolate bar later.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't like it. When I eat out, it's a treat and I am prepared to have extra calories that night, but don't want it staring me in the face. When I was in San Francisco, we went out for cheesecake and while we were waiting, we could look at the menu with all the calories and it kind of ruined the fun of the outing.

Although, I rarely eat at chain restaurants, so if it's only there, I guess it won't affect me much.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issue with it, but it should be mandatory for all restaurants then - not just 'chains'.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

CBC marketplace did an investigation back in 2007 I believe and it was something apparently many of you should see. The problem is unlike the fast food chains which everyone demonizes, restaurants are often much much worse. Selling stuff that hints at being a healthy choice while being 3000 calories.

I cannot fathom why anyone would be against seeing these values, there are so many people eating out who are oblivious to how much sugar, salt, fat, etc.. that they are consuming.

I really need to find that doc.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
How about a siren and flashing light going off every time somebody orders a high calories menu.
Or flashing red lights when you enter a Chinese buffet.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #16
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I cannot fathom why anyone would be against seeing these values
Because it represents yet one more thing that people feel they shouldn't be responsible for.

"I didn't know that extra large Frosty had 3000 calories, so Wendy's is the reason I'm overweight"

Same reason some people are against things like "Caution: Contents may be hot" written on a coffee cup, or "Not real life footage" popping up at the bottom of a commercial staring a unicorn and a dog flying a fighter jet.

Secondly, small companies/mom & pop shops are exempt from this because of cost restraints, which indicates there's going to be a large cost involved to implement this, which will eventually be passed down to the consumer. So now everyone gets to pay extra for a Big Mac because previously accessible information is now more prominent.

Out of any issues there are with food labelling I feel this is the most minute. Sugar laden cereal being labelled as healthy because there's a minuscule amount of whole grains, or candy being labelled as healthy because it's "made with REAL fruit juice" is a much larger hidden issue than how many calories are in a Keg baseball steak, IMO.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 04-15-2016 at 10:39 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #17
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This was excellent, Yanni Friedhoff is one of my favorite people right now talking about how we need to educate people on the level of this problem you mentioned kunk about cereals, fruit juices, etc..

Old 04-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Because it represents yet one more thing that people feel they shouldn't be responsible for.

"I didn't know that extra large Frosty had 3000 calories, so Wendy's is the reason I'm overweight"

Same reason some people are against things like "Caution: Contents may be hot" written on a coffee cup, or "Not real life footage" popping up at the bottom of a commercial staring a unicorn and a dog flying a fighter jet.

Secondly, small companies/mom & pop shops are exempt from this because of cost restraints, which indicates there's going to be a large cost involved to implement this, which will eventually be passed down to the consumer. So now everyone gets to pay extra for a Big Mac because previously accessible information is now more prominent.

Out of any issues there are with food labelling I feel this is the most minute. Sugar laden cereal being labelled as healthy because there's a minuscule amount of whole grains, or candy being labelled as healthy because it's "made with REAL fruit juice" is a much larger hidden issue than how many calories are in a Keg baseball steak, IMO.
I don't understand how informing customers better means people aren't resoonsible. More information means it is easier to make better decisions.
I agree everyone should have to do it though
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I have no issue with it, but it should be mandatory for all restaurants then - not just 'chains'.
I don't think it's reasonable to force an independent restaurant to list calorie counts. First of all, they are often 1 of 1, and it would be prohibitively expensive for them to test every single menu item. Second, smaller restaurants tend to change their menus more often...which again would add to the expense, or prohibit menu alteration. It's not reasonable to ask mom and pop restaurant to do that. Third, good luck enforcing the accuracy!

Chains can amortize their costs over a much larger base, and tend to have more consistent menus. When you have thousands of franchises, and billions of burgers sold, testing a few Big Macs is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

You'd be surprised how high in calories some foods are. "Healthy" options like salads often have more calories than the burger and fries.

https://earls.ca/files/Earls-Nutrition-info.pdf

Take a look at this info. Would most people assume the Chicken Curry, certain noodle bowls, or an eggs Benedict have twice as many calories as the burger?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote