Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #81
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If they don't bring back Treliving, you just know that this opens the floodgates for horrible decisions.

Of course I'm thinking of next year's jerseys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #82
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun
If I'm Pegula, among the GM candidates I would look at: Julien BriseBois, Jason Botterill, Dean Lombardi and Brad Treliving (if he's free)
...don't screw this up, Flames. Pay the man.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-20-2017 at 09:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #83
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yes. Not his fault that Elliot was so fragile in the playoffs, and without Elliot we would't have even made the dance.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #84
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

98.95% in favour of Treliving.

Don't overthink this, Flames.

Edit: 99.21%........

Last edited by Ashasx; 04-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #85
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will say this:

If a respected hockey journalist like Pierre Lebrun is speculating that Treliving could be a top candidate in Buffalo, we as flames fans should all be very, very concerned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #86
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I will say this:

If a respected hockey journalist like Pierre Lebrun is speculating that Treliving could be a top candidate in Buffalo, we as flames fans should all be very, very concerned.
Married with Friedman's eerie comment from earlier in the year...Don't screw this up, Calgary. If we lose Tree...one of the absolute brightest up and coming GMs in the league...just...just don't do it. Pay him. It should have been done months ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #87
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Married with Friedman's eerie comment from earlier in the year...Don't screw this up, Calgary. If we lose Tree...one of the absolute brightest up and coming GMs in the league...just...just don't do it. Pay him. It should have been done months ago.
Not just earlier in the year, Friedman referenced this just last night. Very concerning.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #88
Stats87
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If they are gonna bring Treliving back, he should have already been signed. Considering we all know how Brian Burke feels about lame duck GM's...
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #89
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. I think he has been OK. Not amazing like a lot of people think, but OK. And OK is good enough. We would have about a 50/50 chance of getting someone worse.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #90
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Unless for some ridiculous reason ownership wants the Lombardi/Sutter combo platter it makes zero sense to not bring him back.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #91
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yes. I think he has been OK. Not amazing like a lot of people think, but OK. And OK is good enough. We would have about a 50/50 chance of getting someone worse.
Given this team's history of managers, it's more like a 95% chance of getting somebody worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #92
Toonage

Exp:

Connie getting a promotion
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #93
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh.

I guess I'm gonna be opening this forum everyday looking through my fingers in fear until they announce a BT extension.

It would be so "Flames" to #### something this simple up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #94
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted yes, but with a cavet. The Flames should always be looking to improve the team and organization, and that includes management. There should be some real soul searching going on right now and a lot of evaluating going on. We're Treliving's decisions good, average, or bad? Has the organization made gains under his management? Are we closer to the end goal now than we were before he took over? These are the things management needs to decide and if there is someone out there who can improve our lot.

Treliving is good in the contract negotiation end of his job. I'm not thrilled about the Giordano or Brouwer contracts but you have to pay for veteran leadership. He's done well with other contracts and managing the cap. He's also been good at letting his people do their thing and own their jobs, and I really like seeing that.

My concerns are big though. Can he find a goaltender? In three years that is a big no. Has he plugged big holes in the organization? So far, that's another big no. We're still pitifully weak on RW and are still struggling to find depth in the lineup. I hate his overcooking of the prospects philosophy and the overall management of our player development. Under Treliving we have not seen a single player from our minor league system step in and become a full time player. A lot of that is opportunity, and this goes back to the overcooking philosophy. In a league where youth is taking over, the Flames need to catch up. I'm not certain Treliving can take this team in that direction and that makes me second guess bringing him back.

In the big picture I hope the Flames look at all possible candidates and make the right decision for improving the team. What I see out there available in he market is not an improvement over Treliving. For that reason I bring him back, but only on a two year contract, and with very specific goals of improving those areas of weakness, especially the use of the youth in our system.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #95
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another good hockey mind, Craig Conroy. Lots of options for the Sabres

Why don't you just rip my heart out.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #96
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Connie getting a promotion
Yeah I wonder - I mentioned this in the Sabres thread: What's the consensus here - is he ready for a GM role? Could internal love for Conroy be what's prompting the speculation Treliving won't be back?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #97
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL at the 2 people who said no.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #98
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Unless for some ridiculous reason ownership wants the Lombardi/Sutter combo platter it makes zero sense to not bring him back.
I would take the day off work just to watch the reaction on CP.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #99
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I hate his overcooking of the prospects philosophy and the overall management of our player development. Under Treliving we have not seen a single player from our minor league system step in and become a full time player.
That's because the prospects aren't good enough. Most NHL teams develop forwards in the AHL for 1-3 seasons, defencemen for 2-3, and goalies for 3-4. The Flames are not overcooking anybody. Poirier, Arnold, and Wotherspoon - players of the age when prospects typically make the jump to the NHL - simply weren't good enough. Granlund make the jump and then got traded. The other prospects aren't ready.

The Flames have had weak drafting and development for decades. It's too early to tell if they've turned it around under Treliving. He seems willing to give young players a chance to crack the NHL roster. They just haven't seized the opportunity because they're not good enough.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #100
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes but this team has red flags all over it so it'll be interesting to see what he does.
Closed Thread