Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #101
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that people are sour on Bishop, he had a tough year, but it happens to pretty much all players. He's elite though, and elite players usually bounce back to form and I would bet on that being the case here as well.

I think BT should try to use the flooded goalie market, combined with an off season from Bishop to get him on a much more palatable deal than the 7 x $7 million we heard about at the draft last year.

5 or 6 x $6 million I could handle.

Finally get our eggs in an actual elite starters basket, and good lord his playoff numbers make me drool.

If Gillies or Parsons or whoever actually come along and prove something, well that will be a good problem to have.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #102
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I get that people are sour on Bishop, he had a tough year, but it happens to pretty much all players. He's elite though, and elite players usually bounce back to form and I would bet on that being the case here as well.

I think BT should try to use the flooded goalie market, combined with an off season from Bishop to get him on a much more palatable deal than the 7 x $7 million we heard about at the draft last year.

Finally get our eggs in an actual elite starters basket, and good lord his playoff numbers make me drool.

If Gillies or Parsons or whoever actually come along and prove something, well that will be a good problem to have.
That's true...you can never have enough pitching as the old saying goes. Term and dollars will decide a lot, I'm sure.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #103
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would prefer the Flames not commit that term to Bishop but I could live with it as long as Sigalet doesn't get his hands on him. The last four goaltenders he's touched have all busted but the silver lining was that they were all on expiring deals. I would hate to have Bishop come in here and start regressing at the beginning of a five year contract. As long as Sigalet remains on the staff I would prefer any goaltending additions to be on contracts as short as possible. The two goaltenders he coaches last season are both out of the NHL and the two he coached this season are going to be looking at reduced UFA contracts due to poor play season. IMO there's a bit of smoke here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #104
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would not go after Bishop, unless it was 3 year deal, if we sign him to a long term contract and don't get rid of of goalie coach, we will be in a very bad situation. I see Bishop going to Winnipeg.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #105
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm leery of the long term deal with Bishop as well ...

what about Halak? Guy didn't get a fair shake in Long Island last year, was solid at the end of the season. No way he gets term and big dollars, platoon him with Gillies and move on.
Halak is a stopgap and I believe Treliving will be wary of going that route once again.

MAF, both the player and the contract are exactly what this team needs. If he wants to come here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #106
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would prefer the Flames not commit that term to Bishop but I could live with it as long as Sigalet doesn't get his hands on him. The last four goaltenders he's touched have all busted but the silver lining was that they were all on expiring deals. I would hate to have Bishop come in here and start regressing at the beginning of a five year contract. As long as Sigalet remains on the staff I would prefer any goaltending additions to be on contracts as short as possible. The two goaltenders he coaches last season are both out of the NHL and the two he coached this season are going to be looking at reduced UFA contracts due to poor play season. IMO there's a bit of smoke here.
I really can't tell you what Sigalet does or doesn't do, so I can't pass any judgement on him.

I really doubt he does much to change the way these guys actually play, or has any effect on their mental make up. Especially the older veteran guys, maybe he has more influence on the younger up and comers, I don't know.

What I do know is that the goalies he's had to work with really aren't all that and a bag of chips. This years tandem is the best he's had to work with, and before that only really Hiller had any success at the NHL level, although he was on a pretty steep decline before even arriving here.

I find it really hard to pin this on the goalie coach, and I highly doubt he'd have any effect on Bishop one way or another should BB choose to sign here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really can't tell you what Sigalet does or doesn't do, so I can't pass any judgement on him.

I really doubt he does much to change the way these guys actually play, or has any effect on their mental make up. Especially the older veteran guys, maybe he has more influence on the younger up and comers, I don't know.

What I do know is that the goalies he's had to work with really aren't all that and a bag of chips. This years tandem is the best he's had to work with, and before that only really Hiller had any success at the NHL level, although he was on a pretty steep decline before even arriving here.

I find it really hard to pin this on the goalie coach, and I highly doubt he'd have any effect on Bishop one way or another should BB choose to sign here.
Not pinning it on Sigalet but he's proven not to be part of the solution. I simply can't accept that it's always the team in front of these goaltenders that's leading them to play worse for the Flames than their career norms. Goaltending coaches often get fired when goaltenders consistently flounder under their tutelage so the Flames would be well within reason to fire Sigalet after the season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #108
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Bishop proven anything to command a long term deal with the goalie market that has completely cratered since there are so many options I don't think term is something they can leverage this year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #109
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

As a fanbase are we all in on signing or trading for the (theoretically) bonafied starter then? Bishop, MAF, those seem to be the names that keep cropping up.

There's still the route SJ and Edmonton went, go after the backup who looks ready for prime time. Graubauer (sp?) from Washington, Raanta, Pickard, Mrazek, do any of those names seem like a better idea?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #110
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever it is, I think the deal should be 4 years at the very most. 2-3 would be perfect but I could see 4 affordable years on a younger guy.

I still think there's an outside chance the Flames go after Murray a d the pens keep MAF.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #111
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Scott Darling likely an option too.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #112
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Has Bishop proven anything to command a long term deal with the goalie market that has completely cratered since there are so many options I don't think term is something they can leverage this year.
2013/14 - 63 starts, 37 wins, 2.23 GAA, 0.924 %
2014/15 - 62 starts, 40 wins, 2.32 GAA, 0.916 %
2015/16 - 61 starts, 35 wins, 2.06 GAA, 0.926 %

Also:

23 playoff starts, 21-13 record, 2.09 GAA, 0.927 %

The goalie market will be flooded, but there will still be some competition for the above performance.

Winnipeg, Dallas, Carolina, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Vegas and the Islanders should all be kicking tires on him as none of those teams have legit, proven NHL starters. Some would obviously have to do some maneuvering if they landed him, but they'd be crazy not to at least check in.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #113
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon40 #1 Goalie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
MAF, both the player and the contract are exactly what this team needs. If he wants to come here.
It was rumoured the Penguins wanted the Flames 1st last year for Fleury, I would seriously consider trading 'em this year's 1st without a doubt.

I wonder if Pittsburgh talked to Fleury about the potential trade to Calgary last season?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #114
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies and Rittich
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #115
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
It was rumoured the Penguins wanted the Flames 1st last year for Fleury, I would seriously consider trading 'em this year's 1st without a doubt.

I wonder if Pittsburgh talked to Fleury about the potential trade to Calgary last season?

There is no way the Flames should trade their first for Fleury, he is over 30 and is playing behind a very good team.

If we are trading the first round pick, package and give go for Marek(from the Red Wings). There is no reason to waste cap space and a first round for a 30 year old, if you want to do that just go after Bishop than.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #116
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
this would be a nightmare, people struggle to spell elliott around here, imagine grubaur, graubauer, grabower, grabaeur.
lmao

Last edited by Love; 04-18-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #117
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Scott Darling likely an option too.
This guy might be the closest comparison to Cam Talbot, age and everything
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #118
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
This guy might be the closest comparison to Cam Talbot, age and everything
Darling, Grubauer, Pickard

All comparable to Talbot and Jones, who have blossomed after being given a chance in EDM and SJ

Darling you wouldn't have to trade for though, so that would be a plus.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #119
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find better D-men to block shots. No goalie is good enough for the Flames the way they play.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #120
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grubauer, Darling, or Pickard.

And replace Sigalet as goaltending coach.

Last edited by JurassicTunga12; 04-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote