Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default What food order app do you like best?

I have Skip, Uber eats, and door dash.

I haven't used skip in ages and mostly use uber eats.

Does anyone find Uber eats sends the most promo codes? I find skip never offers any kind of deal so I rarely use them. Door dash I don't mind as well as they send the odd promo code.

Which one do you guys prefer?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
I have Skip, Uber eats, and door dash.

I haven't used skip in ages and mostly use uber eats.

Does anyone find Uber eats sends the most promo codes? I find skip never offers any kind of deal so I rarely use them. Door dash I don't mind as well as they send the odd promo code.

Which one do you guys prefer?
I find that with Uber and Doordash they provide a notification of promo offers either through the app or by email. Skip doesn't provide any sort of notification to me. Sometimes I just randomly open the app and it will show me that they are providing a "token of appreciation" for a $10 or $20 credit.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I find that with Uber and Doordash they provide a notification of promo offers either through the app or by email. Skip doesn't provide any sort of notification to me. Sometimes I just randomly open the app and it will show me that they are providing a "token of appreciation" for a $10 or $20 credit.
That may explain it. I only use these apps when they send me promos in my email.

Uber eats always sends me crazy promo codes. Last month every week they sent me a 75% off promo for 2 orders per week. Hard not to take advantage of that.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
That may explain it. I only use these apps when they send me promos in my email.

Uber eats always sends me crazy promo codes. Last month every week they sent me a 75% off promo for 2 orders per week. Hard not to take advantage of that.
Those 75% ones are the best. I rarely get them but my significant other does quite often. We just used one the other day for a family Vietnamese dinner at $13. I love those deals.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Those 75% ones are the best. I rarely get them but my significant other does quite often. We just used one the other day for a family Vietnamese dinner at $13. I love those deals.
Yeah my significant other doesn't get them very often but I get them frequently. I wonder why that is.

My brother also doesn't get them often.
Old 10-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Uber Eats is definitely trying to get market share with all of the promo codes they send. I constantly have at least 30% off every time I order. I only use them for big chain deliveries though because I want independent restaurants to get every penny they can get.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We prefer Uber over any others mostly because the app that tracks your food is way better then Skip. There is a lot more information there while tracking your food. The ability to contact the driver through the app is the biggest reason we completely stopped using Skip.

What are you guys doing to get 75% off codes? lol I get a ton of promo codes also but they have always been spend $50.00 to get 30% off codes. Never have seen anything else.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find Uber Eats to be the most expensive but they also have the best email promos
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I prefer none. These companies take 20% off restaurants per order and pay the drivers sh*t...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I prefer none. These companies take 20% off restaurants per order and pay the drivers sh*t...
Yeah I would rather pickup our food as I've never been a fan of using middle men for services.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #11
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Me too. I would much rather get off my fat ass and drive to the restaurant than have the owners have to pay that 20% for the app. Especially for the smaller, family run places.

I've gotten the 75% off deal from Uber a few times, and it's hard not to take advantage, so I find a national chain, and stick it to them instead, and make sure I tip the driver at least $15. A little karma out....a little karma in.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #12
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but if you weren't going to order from them anyways then they made a profit. So many restaurants I've tried that I would have never ordered from.

I like delivery and lots of restaurants don't offer their own delivery.

Also, delivery drivers are flooding the market. If it wasn't worth it to them, they wouldn't be doing it. It isn't great pay for sure but in a pandemic people have found it to be a pretty convenient job.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #13
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Me too. I would much rather get off my fat ass and drive to the restaurant than have the owners have to pay that 20% for the app. Especially for the smaller, family run places.

I've gotten the 75% off deal from Uber a few times, and it's hard not to take advantage, so I find a national chain, and stick it to them instead, and make sure I tip the driver at least $15. A little karma out....a little karma in.
You're not sticking it to them. The restaurant doesn't offer the 75% off code. Uber eats takes that hit.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #14
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes I just want to create one of these apps, take 3% and pay the drivers at least something half-decent.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #15
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I find Skip the dishes has the lowest fees, Uber and Door dash both have insane service fees on top of delivery. But Uber pass if you use alot helps for 10$ a month but need to use the service at least 3 times a month which isnt crazy

Skip never has promotions the rare $5 here and there. Its weird that Uber Eats offers promotions to some users and not others, like you guys my wife gets offers all the time i get them rarely
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the doordash subscription service which eliminates the delivery fee on orders over $12. It consistently has additional offers, i.e. 20% off up to $5 , for single meal orders. So it works pretty well for me... most of my favourite delivery restaurants are on there. Occasionally I'll use skip for the instance where I want to order from a place that isn't on doordash.

I pretty much never use ubereats unless there's a really good promo sent to me. And most of the time the promos I get are for higher-dollar orders where I'd have to be ordering a meal for 4 people, which I don't do very often.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber Eats is my preferred app as I have the Eats Pass which eliminates the delivery and service fee.

I'll use Skip for the few places I order from which aren't on Uber Eats.

Also use Fantuan for Asian restaurants that aren't on Uber Eats. Their Asian restaurant selection is massive compared to Uber Eats.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #18
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post

I have tried this but some of these local companies need to get better at answering their phone or taking online orders. If I spend more time in line at the donair place than I would if I ordered Skip I am going to order skip 100% of the time.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #19
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m the same. When I lived more inner city the apps had a purpose as driving anywhere and finding parking was a chore. Now that I’m in the burbs and can easily pick food up myself I see no reason to use the apps.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #20
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I have tried this but some of these local companies need to get better at answering their phone or taking online orders. If I spend more time in line at the donair place than I would if I ordered Skip I am going to order skip 100% of the time.
Lots of places I've called to order have told me they don't accept phone orders and to use uber eats pick up option.

Looking at you shawarma palace.