Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: A simple question. Are you happy with the hiring of Burke?
YAY! 534 92.87%
NAY! 41 7.13%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #61
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Burke becomes the new GM when Feaster is fired next year, just like how Feaster took over for Sutter in a similar manner (except he was only Assistant GM at the time).

I just hope the hockey Gods aren't just screwing with us like they often do, getting Burke on board in Calgary would be fantastic for the franchise as a whole.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #62
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Fan960Steinberg Jay Feaster is not with the #Flames here in Penticton. Ken King also isn't with the group. Make of that what you will.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #63
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does he play goal?
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #64
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burke is such a blowhard, but he can wheel and deal and build a team as well or better than anybody.

God, I hope Feaster is promoted and Burke is the new GM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #65
A Shot Wide
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
@Fan960Steinberg Jay Feaster is not with the #Flames here in Penticton. Ken King also isn't with the group. Make of that what you will.
As much as I like Burke and feel he would be valuable to the franchise, it kind of saddens me that Feaster may get canned when he's had a great draft/off-season so far. Him and Weisbrod performed admirably in restocking the prospect cupboard and I wish him well in the future.
A Shot Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to A Shot Wide For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #66
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
In my opinion it is Actually quite telling if Feaster didn't travel with the group.

Something is imminent.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #67
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also:

SUNDAY, Sunday, SUNDAY!!!

Kevin 'the Klown' Lowe

Vs

Brian "Blowhard" Burke,

LIVE!! At the Sutter Ranch, in Viking, Alta!

The bare knuckle brawl that opens the NHL's Battle of Alberta with a bang!!

Tickets are $15 at the door or $10 through ticketmaster!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #68
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I don't see how the off-season has been that great. The jury is still out on his drafting record, sure a few could turn out well, but they could easily still be busts. Also a blind person could have taken Monahan based on pre-draft rankings.

After that what else has he done?

The Tanguay trade? Meh, pretty much a trade sideways.

Traded for Russell? Not very good.

Traded for Galiardi? Decent deal, but nothing really to hang his hat on.

Signed Corban Knight? Smart move, but Knight knew where he would be given the most ice time this year.

That's really his entire track record at least this off-season. He's been decent enough over his tenure, but personally I don't have enough confidence in his ability to rebuild this franchise long term.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #69
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...58&postcount=1

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shot Wide View Post
As much as I like Burke and feel he would be valuable to the franchise, it kind of saddens me that Feaster may get canned when he's had a great draft/off-season so far. Him and Weisbrod performed admirably in restocking the prospect cupboard and I wish him well in the future.
Feaster isn't getting canned to make room for the Flames to add Brian Burke. If he is they would have canned him right at the end of the season. Why let him do all that work this summer? Also, it only looks like Feaster has done a good job. The only job that he has done well is make moves that excite a broad part of the fan base. We won't know for a couple of years how good of a job Feaster really did (although I'm pretty optimistic about it). He certainly did make the prospect cupboard look good again.

Back to Feaster's role with the Flames. We don't know what role Burke would be in. Is Burke the new GM? Then perhaps Feaster is the team president. That would make sense if you take into account the word on the street about Burke wanting to be a GM. But King is the president? Well the rumor is he'll be the CEO of the Flames Entertainment group, and he'll oversee the new arena project and the Presidents of the Flames, Stampeders, Hitmen and Roughnecks will report to Ken King.

Maybe it is the other way around and Burke is the new president while King steps into the CEO role and Feaster stays GM... this would put Feaster on a tight leash as Burke would likely be itching to take over the reigns if he doesn't like what he sees. Putting the successor in place before a person is fired appears to be a move that the Flames like to do. Allegedly Darryl Sutter came to Calgary with the promise that he would have the GM role (note that this was rumor and speculation). Then Feaster came to Calgary to be assistant GM during a time when people were becoming very impatient with the Flames lack of playoff success and people were souring on the whole "In Sutter We Trust" train of thought that was prevalent.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #71
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shot Wide View Post
I would be more concerend that Burke would mesh with Weisbrod. Even though its too soon to say that Weisbrod's drafting is great, i do like his new criteria that he has invoked.

As for Feaster, i still don't believe that Feaster has anything to do with the draft other than listen and doodle on a clipboard.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #72
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
^ I don't see how the off-season has been that great. The jury is still out on his drafting record, sure a few could turn out well, but they could easily still be busts. Also a blind person could have taken Monahan based on pre-draft rankings.

After that what else has he done?

The Tanguay trade? Meh, pretty much a trade sideways.

Traded for Russell? Not very good.

Traded for Galiardi? Decent deal, but nothing really to hang his hat on.

Signed Corban Knight? Smart move, but Knight knew where he would be given the most ice time this year.

That's really his entire track record at least this off-season. He's been decent enough over his tenure, but personally I don't have enough confidence in his ability to rebuild this franchise long term.
The most unexpected move this offseason, I'll give him credit for...didn't think anyone would take an Iginla-less Tanguay, and Sarich couldn't get away from Hartley quick enough. So to get any return from that was good.

It was pretty clear he thought he could make some moves at the draft I think he tried hard to move that 6th pick, and I think went after some UFA's, but the price was too high, and, couldn't get anything of decent value for Cammalleri.

Outside of that, at the draft he took the guy any GM would've taken at 6, and outside of dropping 13 or so spots at the 22 pick, picked Klimchuk about where he should've landed.

Russell, Galiardi, Knight, all local guys who grew up as Flames fans, and all on short 1 year deals. Signing the younger guys to contracts at the end of last season and guys like Joey Macdonald, were as much administrative as anything. He didn't make the splash that he so desperately wanted to do.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #73
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
The most unexpected move this offseason, I'll give him credit for...didn't think anyone would take an Iginla-less Tanguay, and Sarich couldn't get away from Hartley quick enough. So to get any return from that was good.

It was pretty clear he thought he could make some moves at the draft I think he tried hard to move that 6th pick, and I think went after some UFA's, but the price was too high, and, couldn't get anything of decent value for Cammalleri.

Outside of that, at the draft he took the guy any GM would've taken at 6, and outside of dropping 13 or so spots at the 22 pick, picked Klimchuk about where he should've landed.

Russell, Galiardi, Knight, all local guys who grew up as Flames fans, and all on short 1 year deals. Signing the younger guys to contracts at the end of last season and guys like Joey Macdonald, were as much administrative as anything. He didn't make the splash that he so desperately wanted to do.

You do realise that in order to get rid of Tanguay they had to take back a horrible contract in Jones. Don't get me wrong Jones fits a role for the flames for the next couple of years, but in no way is a 3rd line Jones worth $4 million.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #74
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say I'm not sure how well he would work as team President, unless he is planning to bring in an entirely new management staff. Seems like we'd be getting the worst of both guys - Burke is given free reign to be an abrasive jackass, while Feaster continues to get victimized in his on-ice transactions.

Would it not make more sense to have it the other way around?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #75
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

Nope, don't do that...you have to give him credit for this one....was a solid move.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #76
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post

Last edited by sun; 09-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #77
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As long as he isn't the GM I'll be happy.

Guy has inherited every good team he's had.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #78
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
You do realise that in order to get rid of Tanguay they had to take back a horrible contract in Jones. Don't get me wrong Jones fits a role for the flames for the next couple of years, but in no way is a 3rd line Jones worth $4 million.
Tanguay proved with the fact that francophone friendly Montreal didn't want him, Tampa didn't sign him until late in August, he couldn't score with VLc and St. Louis on his line, that he is useless without Iginla. His attitude, though better this time around, certainly wasn't the one that you'd want on a rebuilding type roster...and, he had another 3 years left on a $3.5m contract.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #79
Falclore
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Burke is a distraction, the Trump of the NHL.
Falclore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Falclore For This Useful Post:
Sol
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #80
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
As long as he isn't the GM I'll be happy.

Guy has inherited every good team he's had.
Only the Ducks.