Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 09:46 AM   #21
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I guess at this point winning or losing doesn’t make much difference in the standings. So you might as well win.
We are still jostling for position with NJ and SEA, who are both completely useless lately. The difference between 9th and 11th is pretty big.

Edit: NJ's season is over. We tie them with 2 points. It's crazy how even the tiebreakers are. We're one ROW back, and one W back. We split the season series. We're currently tied in goal differential. If we go 1-1 with an ROW, it will come down to goal differential -- we would need to be outscored in our last two games not to pass them.

Or, you know, just lose out and hope Seattle gets at least a point v Winnipeg and Minny, because we have the tiebreaker.

Last edited by Five-hole; 04-16-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:59 AM   #22
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
We are still jostling for position with NJ and SEA, who are both completely useless lately. The difference between 9th and 11th is pretty big.

Edit: NJ's season is over. We tie them with 2 points. It's crazy how even the tiebreakers are. We're one ROW back, and one W back. We split the season series. We're currently tied in goal differential. If we go 1-1 with an ROW, it will come down to goal differential -- we would need to be outscored in our last two games not to pass them.

Or, you know, just lose out and hope Seattle gets at least a point v Winnipeg, because we have the tiebreaker.
The first tiebreaker is wins in regulation. NJ sits at 33, while we have 31. As long as we don't get 3 points or more we can't pass them.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:04 AM   #23
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The first tiebreaker is wins in regulation. NJ sits at 33, while we have 31. As long as we don't get 3 points or more we can't pass them.
Ah, yeah, you're correct.

So a loss tonight seals up at least 9th, with a (remote) possibility of 8th if we get less points than Seattle in the last four games between the teams. SEA has WPG and MIN. We have SJ. I don't like our odds.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:19 AM   #24
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't hate it if the Flames won out and put a good feeling on those young guys as they head into their summer routine.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:32 AM   #25
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I scored a ticket through work and will be representing in Flames/Wranglers gear lower bowl. I’m sorry to the draft sticklers because I will be cheering enthusiastically for the WIN! Go Flames!
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:40 AM   #26
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I wouldn't hate it if the Flames won out and put a good feeling on those young guys as they head into their summer routine.
I have to laugh at things like this. You really think that there will be a difference in the mental preparation of the guys over the summer based on winning two meaningless games in a season where we are finishing in the bottom 3rd of the league and have lost two thirds of our games since the trade deadline?

I'll put it to you that the results in these last two games will be completely irrelevant to how the players feel in the offseason.

But it could be the difference between getting the prospect we want and not.

You have to take a utilitarian approach to this. What has the greater long-term impact on the team? Two games at the end of a dismal season where we traded a significant part of the core? Or potentially up to two positions in the top 10 of a draft?
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 10:43 AM   #27
Rhett44
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Go Canucks Go! (Tonight or against Edmonton only).
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:47 AM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, I think Vegas with Stone back has a better chance of taking out the Oilers than the Kings do.
This is going to sound mildly insane but at this point the way Vegas has done its LTIR thing I actually want them to lose about as much as the Oilers. Best case is LAK beats EDM and VGK gets ground up in the meat grinder of the central.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #29
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at the standings, I may be blind but it appears we can't finish lower than 10th? #11 Sabres are 5 pts ahead and Flames have 2 games left. Looks like we're jostling from #8-10.

Too bad we couldn't get into the top 5, which looked probable a few days ago. But #8 would be perfect.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:58 AM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to laugh at things like this. You really think that there will be a difference in the mental preparation of the guys over the summer based on winning two meaningless games in a season where we are finishing in the bottom 3rd of the league and have lost two thirds of our games since the trade deadline?

I'll put it to you that the results in these last two games will be completely irrelevant to how the players feel in the offseason.

But it could be the difference between getting the prospect we want and not.

You have to take a utilitarian approach to this. What has the greater long-term impact on the team? Two games at the end of a dismal season where we traded a significant part of the core? Or potentially up to two positions in the top 10 of a draft?

When was the last time to played sports? Every win feels good, every loss feels bad, stringing wins together feels great, stringing losses together feels like ####.

You don't make it to the NHL if you accept losing. No player on that team is thinking, well if we lose two more games we get a shot at a better pick. They are thinking what can I do to make this team win next year.

Winning is a feeling you want to remember, and winning four straight into an off season where young players will stir the drink next season is not a small thing, especially when they have gone 6-12 since the deadline.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:22 AM   #31
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
When was the last time to played sports? Every win feels good, every loss feels bad, stringing wins together feels great, stringing losses together feels like ####.

You don't make it to the NHL if you accept losing. No player on that team is thinking, well if we lose two more games we get a shot at a better pick. They are thinking what can I do to make this team win next year.

Winning is a feeling you want to remember, and winning four straight into an off season where young players will stir the drink next season is not a small thing, especially when they have gone 6-12 since the deadline.
I will guarantee you that missing the playoffs is a much bigger disappointment than losing two more games when the result is inevitable. They have the next six months off. Not a single one of the players is going to be dwelling on the results in the last two games, win or lose, into the offseason.

If the feelgood of winning was so critical to future performance, you'd see that across sports. Do you know how many times a player has one a major tournament in golf after winning the week before?

https://www.golfcompendium.com/2020/...ing-major.html

11 times since 1934. That's in (roughly) 360 attempts. 3%! This is in a sport where skill differences are negligible and confidence is everything.

Not only that, but we are GOING to suck next year. The only question is how badly. Winning two games at the end of this season is not going to move the needle one way or ther other for future performance.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:25 AM   #32
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very worried if any of our young players spend the offseason dwelling on Game 71 and 72 regardless of the result in a season where you missed the playoffs by 17 points
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 11:41 AM   #33
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dont start winning now, tankathon needs the points.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:45 AM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Good reason to cheer for a Flames win.
Good reason to cheer for a Flames loss. We need Vancouver to clinch the Pacific and Vegas to win their final two games so that the Oilers get Vegas in round 1.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:02 PM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I am very worried if any of our young players spend the offseason dwelling on Game 71 and 72 regardless of the result in a season where you missed the playoffs by 17 points
I'd be disappointed if they didn't dwell on it. I want a team with player who HATE losing.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #36
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1780305943512916121

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:49 PM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, actually. A good feeling to end a bad year could be a major mental lift, especially for young guys looking to learn and find their way. It might not be meaningless to them.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:51 PM   #38
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I'd rather them dwell on game 71 and 72 over game 81 and 82..
Old 04-16-2024, 12:52 PM   #39
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

GFG!

And hot take: Marky plays another 80 games for the Flames.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:10 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Step 1. Miss the playoffs.
Step 2. Win all the remaining games.
Step 3. Fck the draft!
Step 4. Repeat next season!

Go Flames Go!

Ps. Don't worry, guys. As long as we keep doing the same thing every year, eventually we'll get a different result than either missing the playoffs or losing the first round!

Edit: Sorry, I'm in a Draisaitl (pissy!) mood. I'll chill in a bit, I'm sure.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-16-2024 at 02:13 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote