Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #61
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

My Doc just walked in and said "Yep completely torn ACL, we'll set you up for a surgeon consult" and that was pretty much it.
That is basically what my Doc said, so I'm able to skip the whole MRI process. But I still haven't heard from the Knee surgeon yet for when my consultation before surgery is... guess I still have several more months to wait.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #62
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
That is what I thought, but apparently it is not that simple.

Both the doctor and physiotherapist had a difficult time diagnosing the tear because when compared to my other knee the movement when manipulated was very close. The Doctor was surprised that I hadn't previously injured my other knee. Apparently I have a lot of laxity in my good knee so they were confused, but the other symptoms did point to an ACL tear, so he wanted to do an MRI to confirm.

Also, when you guys received your results, did they show you the MRI scans and explain them?

My Doc just walked in and said "Yep completely torn ACL, we'll set you up for a surgeon consult" and that was pretty much it.
in keeping with the MRI discussion, sounds like the MRI was used appropriately in a difficult to diagnose examination. as for reviewing MRI scans, usually GPs only receive a written report with no images (MRIs are difficult to read without proper specialty training). some may go over the findings in greater depth with a diagram or pictures available in clinic.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #63
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I've found MRI's to be an inexact science as well. I've torn my left knee up pretty bad playing rugby and snowboarding, with a noticeable popping/tearing sound more than once. I finally did it in playing hockey a few years back, and went to a doctor. They tested it and confirmed the tear (I also had a physiotherapist say she couldn't believe how much movement was in my knee), and set up an MRI.

6 months later, I get the MRI, and shortly thereafter get the result. No tear evident, no further treatment required.

Because of that I now have a wonky, sore knee that is held together through a pretty strict regiment of weights and sports to keep it strong. At some point I'm sure the thing will explode.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #64
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just thought I'd bump this thread.... I had my ACL reconstructed and my lateral meniscus "shaved" in my left knee almost 6 months ago to the day.

The first couple of days afterwards were not a very good time, and the first shower was a little humiliating, but otherwise recovery was more just a PIA.

I ran my first 10km race today and finished with a pretty good time. I'm limping a little now but I believe that's more the meniscus swelling than anything.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and to anyone having the surgery, don't worry, it's not the end of the world, you can get back to where you were prior to the surgery with a little effort/determination.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #65
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Just thought I'd bump this thread.... I had my ACL reconstructed and my lateral meniscus "shaved" in my left knee almost 6 months ago to the day.

The first couple of days afterwards were not a very good time, and the first shower was a little humiliating, but otherwise recovery was more just a PIA.

I ran my first 10km race today and finished with a pretty good time. I'm limping a little now but I believe that's more the meniscus swelling than anything.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and to anyone having the surgery, don't worry, it's not the end of the world, you can get back to where you were prior to the surgery with a little effort/determination.
Good on ya, I couldn't do that with a normal ACL.

Mine is still torn and I have put off surgery for now, mainly because my quality of life hasn't changed and I didn't want to be laid up for the summer...gonna try and time the time off work with the brutal winter.

An interesting bit the surgeon told me in the consult was that the 4 month point is the most critical. Mainly because the cell regeneration where the ligament is fusing with the bone (or something like that) is at its weakest, but also your confidence is at its highest because you are regaining your muscle strength, so people push it and re-injure the knee. Any experience with that?

How long until you could at least move around on crutches? I have heard people say they couldn't walk for three weeks, but I don't know if that was with or without crutches.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #66
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ditched my crutches and hobbled after a few days, the crutches were just getting in the way.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #67
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in a full cast from my ankle to my upper thigh for two weeks afterwards because apparently when they repair the meniscus, they don't want you bending your leg at all.

When I had the cast on I could obviously put more pressure on my leg so I didn't actually use the crutches much after the first few days.

Then once I got the removable cast off I was back on crutches for a good week or two.

Edit: and I could totally see the 4 month point as being crucial. I was back to running after 3 months but I was still doing physio to help with muscle regeneration and mobility so my physio guy kept me pretty humble.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #68
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

Found this thread; appreciate the success stories shared.

I'm 1 week post and it's tough at this point.

My injury: ACL complete tear, meniscus damage, partial MCL tear and partial LCL tear. Good times.

Trying to be patient, but admittedly tough.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah but the drugs dude think about the drugs

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #70
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah but the drugs dude think about the drugs
Unfortunately definitely overrated.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

What have they got you on for pain relief? My husband had this surgery back in October and found that none of the narcotic based meds helped in any way. His saving grace ended up being Toradol.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

jeez in my day you got the most excellent Demoral.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #73
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tore mine while skiing.

After surgery I was off crutches within a few days, although obviously I still had to take it easy. I can also echo the poster who got doctor's advice that 3-4 months in is critical because you're confident but your leg is really just starting to get really into healing.

I was really lucky in that a spot opened up on the MRI list and I got in less than a month after the doctor put me on the list and surgery pretty quick after that. I had the surgery in late July (or early August) of that year and was playing rugby on it by the next spring (still play rugby and that was 7ish years ago). Follow the physio plan. You feel like a moron sometimes with some of the exercises and in my case going up stairs for several weeks one at a time (one leg up, next to the SAME stair, repeat), but it works and take opportunity to strengthen as you are able.
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Coppernian One For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #74
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

My injury: ACL complete tear, meniscus damage, partial MCL tear and partial LCL tear. Good times.

Trying to be patient, but admittedly tough.
It been two year since my surgery and last year i played soccer my knee was great but without full range of motion and the brace, i pulled my calf and quad and hamstring on three separate occasions. I have bad hammies though. This year i'm back at soccer again, want to be with out the brace but chickened out, the fifth game of the season i forgot to put the brace on and realized after the game. Played three games without it now and the knee is great. Hammies still suck.

Your knee will get better, mine not 100% but it is not holding me back. As a note i didn't follow rehab that good so maybe it could have been faster recovery too. It takes a while to get better but kept with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #75
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately definitely overrated.
How is your pain. People who had surgery before me said worst pain of there life. I was worried but had absolutely zero pain. My friend had surgery two weeks later with the same doctor and had zero pain too
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #76
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
How is your pain. People who had surgery before me said worst pain of there life. I was worried but had absolutely zero pain. My friend had surgery two weeks later with the same doctor and had zero pain too
Really depends on the type of graft they use for your knee. The patellar tendon will be the most painful because they are taking bone along with the tendon so that the healing is bone-to-bone. In contrast, with the hamstring graft, they only take the tendon, so it's less painful, but you have tendon-to-bone healing which many surgeons argue is not as strong.

I'll tell you my story: Tore my right knee up and had and ACL-R with the hamstring tendon (if you're getting this, I suggest finding another surgeon. You might have to wait longer, but it's worth it in the long run as it's my opinion that the patellar tendon is the superior graft choice) and I was given T3's as my painkiller, but was apparently allergic to those as I started vomiting pretty violently and had to call an ambulance. Fast forward 11 months and I tear up my right knee again. With the bad experience I had with the hamstring graft, I really didn't want to risk them taking more of my own tissue, so I elected to go with the patellar tendon allograft (from a cadaver). Had basically zero pain because they're not removing any of your actual tissue, and didn't need painkillers except for ibuprofen for the swelling. So, like I said, it really depends on the graft type.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #77
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Ouch... jesus man what the hell were you doing?!

I'm fully back to 100% or as close to 100% as I can be.. I actually did so much physio my left leg ended up stronger than my dominant right leg. That being said, I get why pretty much everyone says it'll never be the same, the surgically repaired knee just feels "different". It's hard to explain, but even just sitting here right now, if I focus on it the knee just feels ever so slightly tight compared to my right knee. Really though if I'm playing a sport I'm not sitting there focusing on the knee so I don't notice it.

It sucks right now when you don't even have full range of motion, but just listen to your physiotherapist, don't push yourself too much and be prepared to ride the equivalent of the tour de france on a bloody stationary bike.

And if you have decent benefits you can get your sport med place to buy one of these:

http://www.breg.com/products/cold-th...k-cold-therapy

and it'll be covered... I loved this thing after surgery. It was neck and neck between percocet and this thing for what provided more relief.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #78
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
Really depends on the type of graft they use for your knee. The patellar tendon will be the most painful because they are taking bone along with the tendon so that the healing is bone-to-bone. In contrast, with the hamstring graft, they only take the tendon, so it's less painful, but you have tendon-to-bone healing which many surgeons argue is not as strong.

I'll tell you my story: Tore my right knee up and had and ACL-R with the hamstring tendon (if you're getting this, I suggest finding another surgeon. You might have to wait longer, but it's worth it in the long run as it's my opinion that the patellar tendon is the superior graft choice) and I was given T3's as my painkiller, but was apparently allergic to those as I started vomiting pretty violently and had to call an ambulance. Fast forward 11 months and I tear up my right knee again. With the bad experience I had with the hamstring graft, I really didn't want to risk them taking more of my own tissue, so I elected to go with the patellar tendon allograft (from a cadaver). Had basically zero pain because they're not removing any of your actual tissue, and didn't need painkillers except for ibuprofen for the swelling. So, like I said, it really depends on the graft type.
I had the patellar tendon graft. With my ####ty hamstrings i didn't want that tissue as my tendon
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #79
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

bump for some quick advice. I'm 2 days post op on a Medial Patellar Femoral Realignment surgery. Anybody gotten the same one done recently and can recommend a good physiotherapist in NW Calgary? (Crowfoot - University area)

Thanks in advance.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #80
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Lifemark is generally good
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote