Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #41
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
I like the Langkow comparison. Not flashy but always in the right position.
When I think of Langkow I think of a center who has great positioning but doesn't hold on to the puck for very long. Other centers like Markus' brother carry the puck a lot more and wait for opportunities to set up others. Both Markus and Daymond have good instincts as to what the right move is any situation and just move the play along as quickly as possible.

But admittedly Markus' offensive profile is hard to read currently. Knowing the right play and having the ability to do it gets you pretty far already.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
I'd say that 20% shooting percentage is unsustainable, but so far I'm really impressed with him in all situations (except faceoffs). There's no way to justify sending him back to Addy, unless his performances significantly tail off.
He had 2G on 9S in 7G last year,

and 3G on 15S in 10G this year (pretty much identical pace)

He needs to generate more shots. And when he does, the SP will normalize.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think it is hard to be a rookie Centre in the faceoff circle. Monahan wasn't very good at FO last year. He spent the summer working on it and is much more improved this year. Last year Monahan was 46%, this year 50.9%. Granlund is at 36.9% but only 10 games in. My guess it will improve this year and next as well.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea what his ceiling is, but he is solid in every area without being outstanding in any area. For that reason, I could see him being a solid middle 6 player if he continues to develop.

I agree with the poster that suggested MKoivu. I think he could develop into a player like that - solid, but not flashy.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #45
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see him as a No 2 C on this team in the future. I personally am not sure if Sam Bennett will end up being a center in the NHL, a lot of players end up being drafted as a C but end up on the wing. (IIRC, even Iginla played a lot of center coming out of junior?) Given that, we could see something like :

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Baertschi - Granlund - Porier
Ferland - Backlund - Colbourne
(no need for a 4th line if you have that lineup... I'm kidding, maybe Uncle McGratton will still be around and stick there)

or some variation... I think the idea of Gaudreau-Granlund-Bennett would be pretty sweet but who knows...
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #46
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For faceoffs, Granlund was above 50% last season for his 7 game stint. Small sample sizes. Faceoffs isn't anything to focus on at the moment when trying to figure out if he will remain a center or not. Calgary didn't force Iginla to play a center even though he was great at faceoffs (though they did have him take faceoffs on his strong side often enough).

As for his ceiling, it is a tough projection to make. The safe answer is #2 center. Can he turn into a legitimate 1st line center? Given his development arc, I don't think it is impossible. Given the Flames organizational depth, I do think he will finish off being a winger, but you never know with injuries and trades. Top 6 winger or 2/3 line center.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #47
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I have no idea what his ceiling is, but he is solid in every area without being outstanding in any area. For that reason, I could see him being a solid middle 6 player if he continues to develop.

I agree with the poster that suggested MKoivu. I think he could develop into a player like that - solid, but not flashy.
Markus is never going to have the physical presence (or indeed faceoffs) of Mikko Koivu. Furthermore, Koivu is almost purely a passer.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #48
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bergeron lite
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #49
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

46 pts in 52 games as a 20 year old in the AHL, followed up with 9 pts in 10 games in the NHL this season. These stats are on pace for a 1C in the NHL. He's still got a big mountain to climb to reach that status, but he's done everything right so far.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #50
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Players in our future on forwards:
Gaudreau-Bennett-Poirier
Baertschi-Monahan-Klimchuk
Ferland-Granlund-jooris
Agostino-Arnold-reinhart
jankowski, hanowski, Wolf, van Brabant, knight
Maybe colborne and backlund and even bouma. If byron keeps surprising him too.
Smith or Carroll are other dark horses
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #51
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Granlund is gonna be such a good 3rd liner I think he would be a 2nd line on another team in the future but our depth at center is so good
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #52
spennywalks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

he's got all the tools to be a successful top 6 forward. IMO he is not suited for the wing and should be a centre because that is where he is most comfortable. you can never have too many centres, championship teams are built down the middle its easier to find wingers in trades and free agency that it is to find good centres.
spennywalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #53
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
I think we should trade Backlund.
I would rather have Granlund.
There's only room for one 'Lund' on the team. First was Lundmark, then Backlund, now Granlund. It's a logical progression if you think about it.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #54
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I was trying to come up with a comparable for Granlund and it was having a tough time. Style wise a bit like Langkow in that he's pretty responsible at both ends of the ice, and doesn't handle the pick as much as many centers do. He's not as gritty as a Langkow was in his younger days though. I think he's got a better shot though. Maybe a bit like Thomas Plekanic in that no one ever thought he'd be any better than a third line guy yet he kept putting up numbers against the higher level competition.

I think Markus Granlund is proving to be a pretty effective NHL player. He didn't look out of place last year, and he looks better this year. Nice to have a player like him in the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #55
Knut

Exp:

Tomas Plekanec is what jumps out at me. Contributes in both ends of the rink. Can play up and down the Lineup. Will have some big games.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #56
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would love to be proven wrong but I just don't see him any better than a third line player on this team. Just not seeing what others are and believe me Im watching. So many other players have more upside.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #57
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just told him his assist last night was sick... he didn't seem to care.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #58
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
I just told him his assist last night was sick... he didn't seem to care.
He probably didn't know what you meant by sick.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #59
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Markus is never going to have the physical presence (or indeed faceoffs) of Mikko Koivu. Furthermore, Koivu is almost purely a passer.
Physical presence: fair enough, though the game gets less physical every year

Face offs: acquired skill, so we'll see

Passing: you're right but that's fine - Granlund is a shooter and Koivu was a set up guy, but my comparison was more in the responsible, 200-foot, do everything well kind of thing
Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gralund is going to be to the Flames what Jordan Staal was to PITT before he got traded to CAR.

A 2nd line center stuck behind two first line centers.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: