Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Markus Granlund Ceiling

So far he has been playing as the #2 center and has looked very good for the Flames this year. He also currently leads all Flames forwards this year in points per game. I was wondering how he would fair against the Ducks and Hawks. Lead all Flames as a +3 against the Ducks while Getzlaf and Perry were both -3's. Was even against the Hawks and assisted on a PP goal. Is one of our main PK players. Weakness so far has been faceoffs, but that could be said for lots of rookie centers.

Does he top out as a #2 as he has been this season so far or does he have the potential to be a #1 Center.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I see 600 goals and 1300 points out of him.

But actually, I expect him to be a solid #2C that might end up playing the wing with our Centre depth in the next few years. I think he can be a 60 point player. I also think that Granlund is our most under rated prospect, even though hes gained a lot of attention in the past 2 weeks.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I see him as more of a #2/#3 centre, but he just keeps looking better and better out there against NHL stars.

Hell, his assist tonight was him racing into Rozsival to block his clearing attempt, then winning the race vs Keith to the loose puck, then fending Keith off physically until he found a clear passing lane to Gaudreau.

Grannie has all the tools. He's hard-working, fast, reads the play well, has a great shot, and is great defensively. Like you said the only downside so far is his faceoffs, but that will come with experience (see Monahan).

Hard to really classify any of our centres according to 1/2/3/4 going forward though. We could theoretically have two #1Cs in Monahan and Bennett, two #2Cs in Backlund and Granlund, two #3Cs in Jooris and Stajan. Not to mention our abundance of 3rd/4th line centre possibilities in Bouma, Reinhart, Arnold, Knight, etc. And a wildcard in Jankowski still.

And that's all assuming Colborne is a winger going forward.

Last edited by AC; 11-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't really see what his ceiling is at this moment. I believe tho he will become a solid NHL'er. He has a lot motivation at the moment. His brother's doing pretty good in the NHL . It seems to me they have always had a spirited past of competitiveness between them . This seems like this is going to be a very good rookie year in the NHL for him. Now with that being said It is his rookie year ( so far) on a call up. I would need to see a full year in the NHL to make a more definitive answer. The problem is there are a lot of young(wish) players that will return soon enough.

They of course could try to trade players to make room of course but, when you consider Seto and Diaz( more understandable given the lack of D depth) has not been waived so far. They seem to this point unwilling to bargain until they see if the cup of coffee has worn off.

I would like to say that I hope he becomes 1/2/3 center utility player. I think he would be a 2/3 center who can be swapped between the two lines between the individual need based on the team they are facing that night.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 11-21-2014 at 02:01 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #5
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Multiple Hart trophies.

/thread
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly....the best comparison I can think of is Mikko Koivu as a Ceiling.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-21-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Honestly....the best comparison I can think of is Mikko Koivu.
I'd say Mikael Grandlund
GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG S S%
18 2 7 9 6 2 0 0 1 30 6.7

Marcus Granland
10 3 6 9 4 6 0 0 0 15 20.0
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #8
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I'd say Mikael Grandlund
18 2 7 9 6 2 0 0 1 30 6.7

Marcus Granland
10 3 6 9 4 6 0 0 0 15 20.0
I'd say that 20% shooting percentage is unsustainable, but so far I'm really impressed with him in all situations (except faceoffs). There's no way to justify sending him back to Addy, unless his performances significantly tail off.

I'll play this game once... When everyone is healthy I think the forwards should line up like this:

Glencross Monahan Colborne
Gaudreau Granlund Hudler
Raymond Backlund Byron
Bouma Stajan Jooris
Bollig/McGrattan
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hard to give a ceiling this early on but I think he will definitely be a productive player in the 40-60pts range. If he can become even better that's all gravy for us.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

A solid 2nd/3rd line Center/Winger. He certainly has impressed significantly. At this rate if it comes down to keeping Jooris, Granlund and Gaudreau verses keeping any of the veteran forwards, I think you move out the vets. Whether it's through waivers (Setoguchi) or via trade (Glencross maybe?), it just needs to be done. These kids are damn good.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really don't know what you do with him once everyone is healthy and Bennett shows up. Im thinking maybe a 30-40 point guy. Might get passed by others,
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see him on the second line, but on the LW. He's more of a finisher than a setup guy. A one-two-three punch on LW of Gaudreau, Granlund and Ferland is something to be very excited about.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #13
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

At this point, IMO, there is no reason to believe that he won't, or can't, be every bit as good as his brother. All he has done in his call ups is impress, so his ceiling should be whatever Mikael's is.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's already a great third line centre and a decent second liner.

So what he can develop into? Who knows. Personally, I think he makes Backlund expendable.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #15
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think if we are talking Ceiling, Craig Conroy. I could see him being a good second line center, that could do a great job riding shotgun with a superstar winger for a while.

I think it is more likely we see him end up somewhere in the Backlund/Stajan range. a capable 2nd C, but more likely to get pushed down the depth chart on a good team.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I see him on the second line, but on the LW. He's more of a finisher than a setup guy. A one-two-three punch on LW of Gaudreau, Granlund and Ferland is something to be very excited about.
Play a guy at center because he's good at that position, not because he's more setup or sniper or whatever.

Also, Morgan Klimchuk.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yeah, I think you're right. I thought forever that Baertschi was destined to be our #2 LWer. Now I'm not so sure. In fact, I'm not sure where Baertschi fits into the plans of the organization going forward. He's not bad or anything, just doesn't seem to have a spot in the future. This is how I see our depth chart when it comes to our younger players.

Gaudreau-Bennett/Monahan-X?/Poirier/Colborne?
Granlund-Monahan/Bennett-Poirier/Colborne
Ferland-Backlund-Jooris
Bouma-Arnold-Smith

It doesn't matter who's the 1st or 2nd line center, they're both going to be great. Give me Monahan on the top line as more of a Kopitar type player who can shut down the opposition and create offense. Bennett is more of an offensive player who can play defense, so he might be more suited to a #2 non-shutdown line. Poirier is still an unknown entity in the NHL, but I think he's going to be there soon. Ferland is an ideal 3rd line power winger who can slide up in the lineup when needed. I think Smith is the perfect 4th line enforcer/goal scorer similar to Chris Simon.

Granlund does a lot of things well, but his shot is the most exceptional thing about him so I'd like to see him on the wing where he can get more chances to shoot. The great thing is you could swap any of the top 3 line players and probably get similar results.

BTW, I think Hanowski could be a solid 4th line right winger as well in case Smith doesn't work out.

We really still need that exceptional top line right winger and I think that's where you see Baertschi moved at some point to get that player. Or we might just pick one up in free agency. Who knows, but I think most of the team going forward is filling out quite nicely.

And…there's still so many guys who could have decent NHL careers: Agostino, Knight, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Reinhart, Carroll…our forward depth is insane at the moment.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit odd to suggest a ceiling on a rookie. He is off to a great start and looks completely comfortable in his current spot on the roster.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Young center with 17 career NHL games. Much too early to talk about a ceiling. I have no idea. I don't even know how much goal scoring will figure in his career.

His maturity kind of tricks you into thinking that he doesn't have that much room to grow but let's remember he's still just learning to play in the league.

Would like to see him shoot more. He doesn't get to use his shot currently at all. Langkow is a much better comparison than Mikko Koivu.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

2nd Line forward would be my guess, probably on the wing. I'm more excited about his floor because I think he looks like a legitimate NHL player out there and clearing "bust" as the floor is a pretty big acheivement.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote