Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New NHL Schedule

Am I the only one that dislikes the changes to the NHL schedule as a result of realignment last season? My biggest issues is that there doesn't seem to be as much importance or development of rivalries within the divisions because the teams play each other less. 29 divisional games just doesn't seem adequate. I'd like to 6 games against each divisional team.

One of the things that bothers me the most about scheduling this year is that the Flames play almost no games against teams within their division down the stretch. Of their last 15 games only 3 are against division opponents. Maybe it is just a Pacific division scheduling problem because Vancouver only plays 5 of their last 15 against division teams. The Oilers have 6 games. Although LA has 8 of the last 15 against division opponents. Conversely, the Bruins and Leafs play 9 of their last against division opponents (the Leafs actually play 7 of their last 8 games against divisional teams). Montreal has 8 out of the last 15 against division opponents.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 and 1 against the east teams is way better than the BS divisional stacked schedules. Sorry, it's boring playing the same team 6 and 8 times.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love the new schedule and how we play every team at least once. The worst schedule was when we played our division rivals 8 times a piece.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Am I the only one that dislikes the changes to the NHL schedule as a result of realignment last season? My biggest issues is that there doesn't seem to be as much importance or development of rivalries within the divisions because the teams play each other less. 29 divisional games just doesn't seem adequate. I'd like to 6 games against each divisional team.

One of the things that bothers me the most about scheduling this year is that the Flames play almost no games against teams within their division down the stretch. Of their last 15 games only 3 are against division opponents. Maybe it is just a Pacific division scheduling problem because Vancouver only plays 5 of their last 15 against division teams. The Oilers have 6 games. Although LA has 8 of the last 15 against division opponents. Conversely, the Bruins and Leafs play 9 of their last against division opponents (the Leafs actually play 7 of their last 8 games against divisional teams). Montreal has 8 out of the last 15 against division opponents.
It's hard to schedule.

When they had heavy division schedules people complained since we had to see Minnesota, Edmonton, Colorado, etc 8 times per season.

I think this is a decent balance. You play every team at least twice, so you get to see more variety.

In the end rivalries are made in the playoffs, and divisions don't matter as much.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yep I love the fact that every team comes here once at least.

There was a time when Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. only came to the Dome once every 3 years.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

8 games against divisional teams in the current set up (7 or 8 teams) would be way too much. I think 6 is a good number for divisional games. I'm fine with playing the eastern teams once a season on a rotational basis for home/away. The new scheduling also seems to be putting some teams on the road for extending periods (5+ game road trips.)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I do think we should play Edmonton and Vancouver 6 times apiece, no matter what. Allows for a decent sized "series" through which we can decide a winner and loser each season. Makes things fun.

However, I didn't like that we would see some teams once or not at all prior to the past couple seasons. That aspect of it is much improved.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seeing each time at least once a year in the dome is worth it. I'd rather have that experiencing the same sad divisional time over and over.

Love the new schedule!
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rivalries are born in the playoffs and spill over to the regular season. The playoff format is what will help rivalries because now you have to go through your division to get to the next round (unless you are a WC and get flipped to the other division).
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate that Nucks get to play oil for I think the 4th time already. It pads thier stats while we are chasing them in the standings.
serious though I do not have any major concerns on the schedule.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love having the chance to see every team live and I really love not having to go to 3 Minnesota games anymore!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is a no-win situation for the NHL due to the number of teams. They tried to go with the division-heavy schedule out of the 2005 lockout to try and rekindle regional rivalries. A lot of people complained.

Personally, the less I have to deal with Vancouver fans, the happier I am.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It is a no-win situation for the NHL due to the number of teams. They tried to go with the division-heavy schedule out of the 2005 lockout to try and rekindle regional rivalries. A lot of people complained.

Personally, the less I have to deal with Vancouver fans, the happier I am.
I almost agree with the post. I don't think it is no-win, because I think they won with current version. Much improved over the past schedules.

Completely agree with the second part, the less I see of Canuck fans the better.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't need 8 games to build a rivalry, in fact, more games detracts from it at a certain stage. Makes each game a little less important.

I like every team coming to town.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Sec218
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Am I the only one that dislikes the changes to the NHL schedule as a result of realignment last season?
Apparently you are...
Sec218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sec218 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec218 View Post
Apparently you are...
Yup, apparently so.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Someone forgets playing the Wild 8 times a year...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Radically Red
First Line Centre

Exp:

Current schedule with 2 games vs all east teams is great.. I like this change.
8 times vs on team was way to much.

I would be just fine if they kept this current schedule.
Radically Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the divisional playoff format more than compensates for the loss of regular season divisional games. It's playoff series that build rivalries, not regular season play.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me playing rivals like Edmonton and Vancouver more times per year hurt the rivalry more than it fueled it. It feels more important if there are fewer games. Not as intense if we beat Edmonton or Vancouver and they are saying "we will get you back next game...later this month."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post: