Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
GoFlamesGo1989
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default 2015 NHL Draft

I know it's is a ways away but I don't think there has been a better looking prospect draft class.

Connor Mcdavid
Jack Eichel
Dylan Strome
Mathew Barzal

All 4 of these are generational talents. Eichel and McDavid are going to be the absolute superstars. Whoever gets one of these guys is going to be set for 10-15 years. It's so exciting to watch.

I'm most intrigued by Eichel have never seen a player with his type of skill set. His first two steps are unbelievable. So strong on his feet with a fantastic passing ability. If he was Canadian he would be getting just as much press as Connor McDavid.
GoFlamesGo1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

All 4 are generational talents? That's the first time I've heard any comments like this. Any body in the media sharing this opinion?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

let's do this next year ok. Lots can change.
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt all four of them are generational talents ^^ McDavid and Eichel probably are. From what I've heard and seen, those two are quite a few steps above the others. Personally I have been far more impressed with Eichel at this year's WJC, but McDavid looks promising as well. Then Barzal, Hanifin and Konecny. Strome's biggest asset as this point is that he's already 6-3 while others like McDavid, Barzal and Konecny all are around 5-10 or so ... but with 16, there's still room for them to grow a bit. Will be interesting to see how they progress until the draft. Should be a deep one in any case ... even the losers in the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes will probably go home pretty happy.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
All 4 of these are generational talents.
"Generational" is a strong word that I wouldn't throw around so liberally. I think McDavid is a generational level talent but I think that Eichel is more superstar level while Strome and Barzal are a half-step below that.

But yes the 2015 Draft is shaping up to be something special where the #4 talent is likely the #1 talent in any normal draft year.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlamesGo1989 View Post
I know it's is a ways away but I don't think there has been a better looking prospect draft class.

Connor Mcdavid
Jack Eichel
Dylan Strome
Mathew Barzal

All 4 of these are generational talents. Eichel and McDavid are going to be the absolute superstars. Whoever gets one of these guys is going to be set for 10-15 years. It's so exciting to watch.

I'm most intrigued by Eichel have never seen a player with his type of skill set. His first two steps are unbelievable. So strong on his feet with a fantastic passing ability. If he was Canadian he would be getting just as much press as Connor McDavid.
Strome has 23 points in 35 games. I'm sure he's a fine prospect but he's not generational.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be another good year for Buffalo to suck!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

top 3 are
mcdavid
eichel
hanifin
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

People have been watching McDavid for YEARS. He got exceptional status to enter the OHL early. He's really really really good.

Eichel is probably a notch below, which would still make him a very hot commodity in every other draft year.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Would be another good year for Buffalo to suck!
Oilers thinking the same.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
Oilers thinking the same.
Oilers are finally going to make the special move this year by drafting William Nylander.

Hall - RNHs - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Nylander

will outmuscle and dominate the NHL for the next 10 years

Last edited by playmaker; 01-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The next 3 drafts all look very good at least at the top end of it. If we continue to rebuild and be in the top 5 or so, we should be able to amass several very good talents to go with Monahan.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

One NHL scout ranked the 2013 draft (regarded as a very strong draft) as a 7 out of 10. He said the 2015 draft would be a 10 out of 10.

The 2015 draft could end up being as strong as 2003 or moreso.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The 2015 draft could end up being as strong as 2003 or moreso.
Which is why if we trade for picks this year, Id like the Flames to stockpile 2015 1st/2nd round picks instead of 2014. GMs (especially those under pressure to perform) may be more willing to part with assets farther away in time, plus some teams may surprise suck and give you a higher up pick than everyone initially thought.

Buffalo did it right with the Vanek trade. They will likely either get a Top 5 pick now, or a 1st round pick in a fantastic draft year. Sneaky smart, that Regier!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hard time believing any team will be dealing away their 2015 1sts until the deadline next year. and at that point its going to be a mad firesale to get as many from the playoff teams as possible so they can leverage multiple firsts for a shot at McDavid/Eichel.

OUtside of the Vanek deal it makes no sense for teams to deal those 2015 picks yet. Too much time between then and now.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I have a hard time believing any team will be dealing away their 2015 1sts until the deadline next year. and at that point its going to be a mad firesale to get as many from the playoff teams as possible so they can leverage multiple firsts for a shot at McDavid/Eichel.

OUtside of the Vanek deal it makes no sense for teams to deal those 2015 picks yet. Too much time between then and now.
Which is also why some might be willing to do it. There are always a few impatient or desperate GM's looking to make a move before their time is up...they don't have the luxury of waiting. I don't think it will be easy to get picks in that draft, but I think the closer we get to 2015 the more hype there will be around it, so hopefully the Flames are at least trying to sneak in one or two.

And while they might not give up their first-round picks, they might give up their seconds. In a great draft, there are always great players that get pushed into the 2nd round. Weber, Bergeron, Erikkson, Backes were all selected in the second round of 2003...and if this one is supposedly better, well then chances are there will be a few hits in there as well.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gio, and hudler are the only guys I see returning a 2015 first
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What about Travis Konecny? PPG centre in the OHL and not eligible until 2015...
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh FFS
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
What about Travis Konecny? PPG centre in the OHL and not eligible until 2015...
I was thinking he'd be a great consolation prize. He plays with grit and fearlessness but he's a little guy so dunno how Burke would think of him.

From TheScoutingReport.org:
Quote:
Konecny is the top forward in the draft and has done nothing short of live up to the lofty expectations many had placed on him heading into the 2012-13 season. Standing only around 5-foot-9, 150 lbs, Konecny’s motor and compete level are astounding given his lack of size. Despite being arguably the most skilled player in the draft, he’s also one of the grittiest and has no fear of finishing checks and engaging in puck battles against bigger players. Konecny should play a Top 6 role in the OHL next year and develop into a top scorer at the OHL level.
I think the safer 'Burke' pick lays with Brett McKenzie:
Quote:
McKenzie is a rangy centre who projects as a very solid two-way centre at the OHL level and beyond. It may take several viewings before you realize just how good McKenzie is, but after continued viewings you can really appreciate the nuances of his game that make him so effective. Offensively he’s more of a playmaker than a shooter and does a good job of using his size and skill to buy time and find open teammates. He is good on faceoffs and is a competitive player with good shutdown centre capabilities. McKenzie has a similar skill-set to that of Jordan Staal and should be a very good 3rd line centre as a 16-year-old.