Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 08:41 PM   #2281
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think we're dramatically underselling celebrini. He is a really interesting prospect and way above the rest of the field this year. He has the highest scoring 16 year old season in the ushl ever and the highest scoring 17 year old season in the ncaa ever over the last two years, and he's being billed a 2 way player. Almost 2 points a game in college and he can't even legally buy a beer in Canada. Toews had just over a ppg as an 18 year old in college. His Shattuck numbers were also pretty crazy.

I think hes got better offensive upside than is being discussed.

Come on lucky five!

Would be ecstatic to take Celebrini. I agree i think his offence is being a little underplayed. Would love to have him haunt the coilers for the next decade.

I actually think the top ten in this draft is pretty good. I think buium Parehk, Catton, and Yakemchuk, Demidov, Dickinson have huge potential.

Last edited by Fan69; 04-23-2024 at 08:57 PM.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:56 PM   #2282
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Celebrini - Toews
Levshunov - Hedman
Demidov - kucherov
Parekh - Hughes
Buium - Fox
Helenius - Lindholm
Iginla - Kreider/Verhaege
Catton - Marner/Point
Silyaev - Zadorov
Lindstrom - Thompson
Eiserman - Laine/Caufield
Dickinson - Hanifin

This is sorta what I see from the top guys
I see Helenius as a better Backlund. Higher iq. Way better passer. I think you put two scoring wingers on his line it could look really good.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:35 AM   #2283
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I see Helenius as a better Backlund. Higher iq. Way better passer. I think you put two scoring wingers on his line it could look really good.
I wouldn’t draft Backlund 2.0 ahead of Iginla 2.0 - would you?
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:09 AM   #2284
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I also wouldn't draft Backlund 2.0 over some of the best offensive defensemen we've seen in years.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 06:12 AM   #2285
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm of the opinion you can never have enough quality centers but with Honzek projecting to be a 2nd or 3rd line center I'm lukewarm on drafting another center that projects as 2nd or 3rd line with a top 10 pick. They need to target a difference maker with this pick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:22 AM   #2286
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm of the opinion you can never have enough quality centers but with Honzek projecting to be a 2nd or 3rd line center I'm lukewarm on drafting another center that projects as 2nd or 3rd line with a top 10 pick. They need to target a difference maker with this pick.
This.

Need to try and hit a HR with this pick.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:02 AM   #2287
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If thats what you think iggy jr is but helenius and jr are on equal footing with me. Helenius has top five iq, and i mentioned i see him as a better backlund. He o me backs was always middle six i see helenius as top six. Neither would go ahead of buium, parehk, catton, dickinson, demidov, sylaev and luvshenov have more questions for me and yak and iggy jr is a coin flip but probably Yakemchuk ahead as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:42 AM   #2288
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont think anyone's denying the IQ of Helenius or his 2 way game at all.
What most are concerned with is the Flames need to land an impact player @ 9 and he's not that. He could end up being a great #2 dependable forward, and of course every team could use a guy like that including the Flames. However the Flames lack a TRUE difference maker on the team, and with Kadri and Huberdeau locked in long term I think an impact scoring player is priority #1.

I personally would rather one of the stud D in Buium/Parekh or are more impactful forward like Catton/Lindstrom/Iginla if they're there.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:52 AM   #2289
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've watched at least an entire 3-5 minutes on the top ten guys so I'm quite clearly an expert by now...but I did like the look of Helenius quite a bit. I'd be happy with lots of different guys at that pick, but wouldn't be sad to see us pick him either. Not sure it is fair to pigeon hole him as a purely 2 way middle six center as lots can change moving forward and drafts are quite different in retrospect.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:25 AM   #2290
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you assume he's Iginla 2.0 (beside the name of course) I don't think I've seen any scouting report that says that they project him to be as good as his dad. I mean let's take what Tbull8 said earlier... would you rather have a better version of Backlund or someone roughly on par with Chris Kreider? YMMV but I'll take the better version of Backlund.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #2291
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Why would you assume he's Iginla 2.0 (beside the name of course) I don't think I've seen any scouting report that says that they project him to be as good as his dad. I mean let's take what Tbull8 said earlier... would you rather have a better version of Backlund or someone roughly on par with Chris Kreider? YMMV but I'll take the better version of Backlund.
People are assuming that he will be as good as his Dad. He might be. But experts aren't convinced of that, or he'd be ranked higher.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:53 AM   #2292
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
People are assuming that he will be as good as his Dad. He might be. But experts aren't convinced of that, or he'd be ranked higher.
His father would have been ranked higher if experts thought he would be what he was too. Development isn’t linear and experts are wrong more than they are right.

You are right though, it’s just as dangerous to assume he will be as good as his dad as it is to dismiss him.

Hockey is supposed to be fun though, so I’m willing to take Iginla and hope like hell that he takes a similar path to his dad, in Calgary
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 10:00 AM   #2293
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed if his name was tij johnson this wouldnt even be a discussion.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:03 AM   #2294
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
His father would have been ranked higher if experts thought he would be what he was too. Development isn’t linear and experts are wrong more than they are right.

You are right though, it’s just as dangerous to assume he will be as good as his dad as it is to dismiss him.

Hockey is supposed to be fun though, so I’m willing to take Iginla and hope like hell that he takes a similar path to his dad, in Calgary
I expect that he's actually ranked a bit higher because of his Dad. Genetics is a thing.

Depends on where Calgary drafts. If he falls to where they think he is the BPA (or close to it), I'd pick him also. But no way I reach for him.

But we have no idea where Calgary projects him to be worth. It could be #2 for all we know, or #20. And if they pick him, I assume that Conroy will say they had him ranked much higher. Like most GM's do.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM   #2295
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Agreed if his name was Tij Johnson this wouldn't even be a discussion.
Unless he was a 6'10"pitcher and Randy was his Dad.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:06 AM   #2296
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I expect that he's actually ranked a bit higher because of his Dad. Genetics is a thing.

Depends on where Calgary drafts. If he falls to where they think he is the BPA (or close to it), I'd pick him also. But no way I reach for him.

But we have no idea where Calgary projects him to be worth. It could be #2 for all we know, or #20. And if they pick him, I assume that Conroy will say they had him ranked much higher. Like most GM's do.
My guess would be three or four of the forwards and that many defenders are almost for sure ahead of him on flames lists.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:15 AM   #2297
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless he was a 6'10"pitcher and Randy was his Dad.
I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind is a seagull getting hit by a baseball.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 10:23 AM   #2298
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind is a seagull getting hit by a baseball.
Still one of the craziest sports highlights
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 11:45 AM   #2299
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because he outscored his dad in their 17 year old seasons, because he moves exactly like his dad on the ice and he has Jarome’s one-timer.

Watching Rockets highlights, what stands out is how many plays don’t get made because he’s not playing with players who understand the game at his level. Lots of times, Tij is exactly where he should be, and his teammates don’t see him or can’t execute.

Hes not as mean as his dad, but as a player, this is a Keith/Matthew Tkachuk situation for me.

And I take that player over a lot of other similarly rated guys.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #2300
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outscored his dad. Comparing father and son stats separated by 30 years is silly. So many circumstances can account for the numbers.

Tij is a 1st line player on a mediocre WHL team
Iggy was a 3rd line player on the Memorial Cup Champs
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft