Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #61
Doug_Dadswell
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Surprised that there is no mention of Keith Aulie in this thread. He was the best player in the deal.
Doug_Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #62
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

We would've easily made the playoffs last season had we been successful in acquiring Brad Richards, which would've made Feaster look like a genius given how our prospects have improved at the same time.

A scorched earth policy like the dummies up North is not a good or feasible way to rebuild, despite what many pundits would have us believe.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #63
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Dadswell View Post
Surprised that there is no mention of Keith Aulie in this thread. He was the best player in the deal.
Prepare to be mooned
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Our team could be completely different if we didn't trade him for basically crap. I remember hearing reports that a lot of GM's didn't even know he was available. I also remember a Philly report saying they might have been willing to deal Jeff Carter or Richards for Phaneuf.
But, I suppose we wouldn't have Sven or Gaudreau (most likely) if we got a different deal.

I've never bought that for two reasons, one is basically that it was Francis writing that column and we all know that he's pretty much hated the Flames since they didn't treat him like the second coming of someone that's good at their job.

As some of the better reporters have stated, GM's will always feign shock and disbelief at trades and swear they didn't know that player X was available or they would have paid lots more to get him, it a way of protecting their jobs.

I have a lot of problems with any story that comes from the desk of Francis.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #65
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leafs media and fans have only now realized Dion sucks
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #66
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I did, I bet a lot of Oilers fans did to.
I wouldn't. Why waste 2.5 to 3 hours watching a laughing stock of a team? I have better things to do.

Which brings me to, thanking Brent Sutter for giving me so much free time in April, May and June these past 3 years.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #67
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
We would've easily made the playoffs last season had we been successful in acquiring Brad Richards, which would've made Feaster look like a genius given how our prospects have improved at the same time.

A scorched earth policy like the dummies up North is not a good or feasible way to rebuild, despite what many pundits would have us believe.
What the hell? We would have easily made the playoffs had we acquired Sidney Crosby as well? What the heck is your point? The Oilers could play the list players we don't have on our roster that would push us into the playoffs to justify their strategy game too! So bizarre.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 01-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #68
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Should have started the rebuild three years ago, instead we've still be out of the playoffs for three years with nothing to show for it.
We're making the playoffs this year!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #69
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I wouldn't. Why waste 2.5 to 3 hours watching a laughing stock of a team? I have better things to do.

Which brings me to, thanking Brent Sutter for giving me so much free time in April, May and June these past 3 years.
So, you'll be jumping off the Flames bandwagon if we finish in last place..... Good to know.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #70
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Our team could be completely different if we didn't trade him for basically crap. I remember hearing reports that a lot of GM's didn't even know he was available. I also remember a Philly report saying they might have been willing to deal Jeff Carter or Richards for Phaneuf.
But, I suppose we wouldn't have Sven or Gaudreau (most likely) if we got a different deal.
I've always questioned how much of those stories came from "unnamed GMs" and how much was certain media types exaggerating comments to fit the commentary they themselves were running. The truth is, Phaneuf's name was linked to trade rumours for weeks. There is no way any GM worth his job wasn't aware that something was up. If they failed to make a call, that is on them, not Sutter.

As to the trade itself, my opinion then was that the best case was that it would have been an even trade. Three years later, it looks like I was right, though not in the way I hoped. Nobody on either side of the trade has done a damn thing for their new organizations. Both teams are probably worse off for it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #71
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Respectfully, go screw yourself. Just because I'm critical of the organization doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Infact, I could turn the tables on you and question your loyalty. What do you really care about? I care about winning a cup, you seem to care about not being the Oilers so you can continue on your petty, insignificant, unfunny rival-based taunts. I think it's all that much more pathetic that that's what you seem to care about instead of the ultimate prize.

So who's the real fan?
hahaha. What kind of Flames fan doesn't laugh at an Oiler team finishing 30, 30, and 29??? Mind bottling.

Hmmm lots of pathetics being thrown around here. Well good luck to you cheering for the Flames because you KNOW they aren't going to rebuild through the sucking model. And there is nothing that Feaster or King has said that it's going to change anytime soon.

Maybe you should find another team to cheer for. hehe
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #72
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So, you'll be jumping off the Flames bandwagon if we finish in last place..... Good to know.
Did i say that? Nope. i just won't be wasting my time for 2-3 hours watching meaningless games for 28th/29th place.

Maybe PVR them and fast forward watch in 45 minutes.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #73
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
What the hell? We would have easily made the playoffs had we acquired Sidney Crosby as well? What the heck is your point? The Oilers could play the list players we don't have on our roster that would push us into the playoffs to justify their strategy game too! So bizarre.
My point is that trading Iggy and Kipper, and aiming for suckage three years ago would've been a poor decision given that - in my estimation - we were one good center away from making the playoffs last season.

Not really so bizarre. Scorched earth is a poor policy, and there are ways to improve the team without it. Brad Richards is a good example, because he was an opportunity to improve the team by leaps and bounds all in one go. Our prospects have been improving incrementally despite not going full on suck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phaneuf seems to have the same effect on fanbases as he has on dressing rooms.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #75
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bwhahahahahaha
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
horribly enough, he might have been the least disappointing player from that deal. that's how crappy everyone else turned out.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #77
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post

Easily made the play-offs is a huge leap and making it as a 7/8 seed and losing in 4 games certainly shouldn't have made Feaster look like a genius but the way people overrate the crap job he has done you may be right and many would have talked about him like that.

When we missed the play-offs for a majority of the time under Richards deal and been unable to sign guys to help the team because of the ridiculous overpayment it was I am not sure how much of a genius Feaster would have looked like even with the rose colored glasses of many Flames homers.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #78
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've never bought that for two reasons, one is basically that it was Francis writing that column and we all know that he's pretty much hated the Flames since they didn't treat him like the second coming of someone that's good at their job.

As some of the better reporters have stated, GM's will always feign shock and disbelief at trades and swear they didn't know that player X was available or they would have paid lots more to get him, it a way of protecting their jobs.

I have a lot of problems with any story that comes from the desk of Francis.
Ah, forgot it was a Francis piece, that changes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I've always questioned how much of those stories came from "unnamed GMs" and how much was certain media types exaggerating comments to fit the commentary they themselves were running. The truth is, Phaneuf's name was linked to trade rumours for weeks. There is no way any GM worth his job wasn't aware that something was up. If they failed to make a call, that is on them, not Sutter.

As to the trade itself, my opinion then was that the best case was that it would have been an even trade. Three years later, it looks like I was right, though not in the way I hoped. Nobody on either side of the trade has done a damn thing for their new organizations. Both teams are probably worse off for it.
True, however without Phaneuf I think they'd be contending with Edmonton and Columbus. It's a shame we never got a 1st out of that deal too, could've been a top 10.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #79
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In my ongoing futile attempt to remain optimistic about the Flames, I remember thinking this was a "Moneyball" type trade by Sutter.

What I mean is that he wasn't looking for specific players, he was looking for certain types of players based on need.

He wanted a scoring winger to play in the top six, with the quantity that he wanted each individual would be of lesser quality. Enter Hagman.

He wanted a 2 way youngish centre to ultimately replace the ageing Langkow. Enter Stajan

With the departing Phaneuf he wanted a decent replacement to take up some of those minutes. Enter White.

And because he is Darryl Sutter he couldn't make any trade without getting some 4th liner thrown in. Enter Mayers.

At the time, I don't think it was as terrible a trade as people thought. White was playing very well in Toronto at the time, Stajan was a somewhat unproven but nonetheless 20 goal 50 point guy and Hagman was a decent 2 way 20-25 goal guy from the wing.

In Sutters' eyes he was getting 2 top 6 forwards(top nine in some peoples opinions) and 1 top 4 dman. 4 roster players in total for basically Phaneuf (ya, ya Aulie shmaulie)

Who knows if he did his due dilligence on these guys, because given what they were acquired to do, the trade was a collosal failure.

I think it was also a failure as a result of the "Win Now" mantra. We needed forward depth, so he dealt from a position of strength, and sacrificed some quality to get quantity.

If he had set out to acquire one or two quality pieces, I think we would have looked back on this trade as a "win."
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #80
AltaGuy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Easily made the play-offs is a huge leap and making it as a 7/8 seed and losing in 4 games certainly shouldn't have made Feaster look like a genius but the way people overrate the crap job he has done you may be right and many would have talked about him like that.

When we missed the play-offs for a majority of the time under Richards deal and been unable to sign guys to help the team because of the ridiculous overpayment it was I am not sure how much of a genius Feaster would have looked like even with the rose colored glasses of many Flames homers.
That's possible. I don't agree, but it's possible.

However, swinging for the fences on a #1 center is never a bad idea in my mind. Trading Iggy and Kipper and aiming for the basement is always a bad idea to me.

Another good reason is a simple comparison between some of Darryl Sutter's "big splashes" (and attempted ones) and the only one Feaster has tried that we know about.

Feaster: Brad Richards, who unquestionably helped the Rags a lot last season, and I think would've helped us make the playoffs.

Darryl Sutter: Bouwmeester, Jokinen, Redden, Smyth.

Thank god Sutter never got the opportunity to trade Iggy or Kipper.