Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Should have traded Dion about 6 months sooner, during the summer of 2009, for blue chip prospects and/or high draft picks.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......
Disagree.

You have to remember the excitement after the JBo signing. It looked like we had 3 potential Team Canada level defencemen: JBo, Phanuef, and Regehr. They all excelled, and were potentially the best, at a different area of the game.

Who could've predicted that the NHL had passed Regehr by, JBo offence woud fall off, and Phaneuf would be exposed for the total bonehead he is.

That being said, even at the end of the season when Phaneuf was traded, he could have been packaged for a solid young offensive forward. A much better way to add "depth" than 2 middle of the road forwards. We weren't going to trade Phaneuf for picks and prospects as we were in "Win now" mode.

Phaneuf at that point could have easily brought back a JVR, Chris Stewart, or James Neal type of player, and maybe some change too. Phaneuf was no longer the type of player who would've brought back Patrick Kane, but we could have done much better than Stajan and Hagman....Sutter was just too focussed on having more experience and "character" in the lineup. The formula had worked when we brought in Nilson, Nieminem, Simon, etc...Very poor judgement by Sutter.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #42
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Our team could be completely different if we didn't trade him for basically crap. I remember hearing reports that a lot of GM's didn't even know he was available. I also remember a Philly report saying they might have been willing to deal Jeff Carter or Richards for Phaneuf.
But, I suppose we wouldn't have Sven or Gaudreau (most likely) if we got a different deal.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMHO the problem with the trade was not so much the return or results, the fact that Sutter realised he needed to move Dion was just a sign that the team needed a full top down rebuild.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but at that point if Sutter felt he needed to move Dion Iggy and Kipper should have gone to.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #44
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I remeber Darryl sutter being spotted at a Flyers game with Holmgren just a few days before this deal went down. He must not have liked what Holmgren was offering. The only way to rationalize it was Darryl panicked.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Anton is greater than The Dion.

Stajan sucks though so the trade is a wash.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #46
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should have started the rebuild three years ago, instead we've still be out of the playoffs for three years with nothing to show for it.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20 but at that point if Sutter felt he needed to move Dion Iggy and Kipper should have gone to.
I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about how Darryl Sutter could've mangled trading Kipper or Iggy.

"The Calgary Flames have traded Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh for Kunitz, some fourth liner, and a 3rd round pick."
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #48
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leafs didn't get what they wanted, so it was a loss for both. But considering what they gave up to get Phaneuf, it isn't that much of a loss. They're getting the worth they gave up.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #49
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Should have started the rebuild three years ago, instead we've still be out of the playoffs for three years with nothing to show for it.
blah blah blah.

We got to watch meaningful hockey for those 3 years. Which is better than 1 meaningful day in June.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #50
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Disagree.

You have to remember the excitement after the JBo signing. It looked like we had 3 potential Team Canada level defencemen: JBo, Phanuef, and Regehr. They all excelled, and were potentially the best, at a different area of the game.

Who could've predicted that the NHL had passed Regehr by, JBo offence woud fall off, and Phaneuf would be exposed for the total bonehead he is.

That being said, even at the end of the season when Phaneuf was traded, he could have been packaged for a solid young offensive forward. A much better way to add "depth" than 2 middle of the road forwards. We weren't going to trade Phaneuf for picks and prospects as we were in "Win now" mode.

Phaneuf at that point could have easily brought back a JVR, Chris Stewart, or James Neal type of player, and maybe some change too. Phaneuf was no longer the type of player who would've brought back Patrick Kane, but we could have done much better than Stajan and Hagman....Sutter was just too focussed on having more experience and "character" in the lineup. The formula had worked when we brought in Nilson, Nieminem, Simon, etc...Very poor judgement by Sutter.
Still not convinced that Sutter was totally to blame for the return the Flames received. Various King comments and the ownership's mandate to be a playoff team superceding intermediate and longterm growth probably had some significant impact.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #51
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Or as Downgoesbrown posted yesterday in their "NHL Panic Watch" column,

Quote:
Calgary Flames

Why it might be time to panic: Well, if we’re getting technical, 2009 was the time to panic. But for reasons nobody outside of the Flames organization has ever understood, the franchise refuses to rebuild and seems intent on yet another season as a bubble team — not quite good enough for the playoffs, but not quite bad enough for a top pick. Ask a Leafs fan how that strategy works out, if you can find one sober enough to communicate.
Why they shouldn’t: Not a single team in the Northwest went into Monday night’s action over .500, so it’s not like the division is running away from them. And Jarome Iginla’s been ice-cold to start the year, which can’t last much longer.
The panic scale: 9/10 if you’re a fan, but apparently 1/10 if you’re the front office.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...hl-panic-watch
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #52
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
blah blah blah.

We got to watch meaningful hockey for those 3 years. Which is better than 1 meaningful day in June.
What a effin joke this sentiment is.

Meaningful games? Are you kidding me?

This is how deluded we've become as a fan base?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #53
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Look at whose post you just quoted.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #54
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
blah blah blah.

We did?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #55
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What a effin joke this sentiment is.

Meaningful games? Are you kidding me?

I'm glad you are no longer pretending to be a Flames fan. I'd rather be fighting for a playoff spot than wanting to lose to get a high draft pick.

Besides any other coach other than Sutter would have gotten us into the playoffs.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #56
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
Look at whose post you just quoted.
Figures. One canuck fan sticking up for another.

Can't wait for you to disappear into your easter break.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #57
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
We did?
So you didn't watch one single game from game 65 to game 81 last year?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #58
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm glad you are no longer pretending to be a Flames fan. I'd rather be fighting for a playoff spot than wanting to lose to get a high draft pick.

Besides any other coach other than Sutter would have gotten us into the playoffs.
The point being, exactly how engaged we were in those playoff battles is pretty subjective. The Flames have "realistically" fallen out of the playoff picture far to early for my liking to feel the way you do. Needing to string together long win streaks that the team has not shown the propensity to be able to do down the home stretch doesn't translate to true meaningful games to me.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #59
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you didn't watch one single game from game 65 to game 81 last year?
I did, I bet a lot of Oilers fans did to.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #60
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Respectfully, go screw yourself. Just because I'm critical of the organization doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Infact, I could turn the tables on you and question your loyalty. What do you really care about? I care about winning a cup, you seem to care about not being the Oilers so you can continue on your petty, insignificant, unfunny rival-based taunts. I think it's all that much more pathetic that that's what you seem to care about instead of the ultimate prize.

So who's the real fan?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post: