Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Cheap Computer Repair Place?

Need to get my computer repaired as soda water was spilt on it not too long ago, and it has since been a disaster to work with since then. My initial response is to go to memory express, but I am not that knowledgeable in this field so am wondering if there would be a better place to go? Maybe somebody privately? Pretty short on cash now so somewhere cheap is the goal...
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Water damage is tricky and while I often do repair on the side, I wouldn't want to touch that.

Here is some stuff you can do to save the laptop yourself since if it works it might not be a extremely serious issue.
Otherwise go to memex.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Is it a laptop or desktop? What are the symptoms? It must still have some functionality as you mention it's been a disaster to work with so it's not totally dead. You just need to isolate the damaged component(s) and have them replaced. You might be able to clean components as the most likely scenario is the soda water and sugar has formed a residue somewhere and it's bridging contacts that it shouldn't.

The CP braintrust could probably talk you through it. How "cheap" is "cheap"?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How long ago did it happen? It is a longshot but you might just get lucky if you leave it alone for a few days. Memory express is a safe bet.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The problem with it is that it shocks me whenever I touch any metal part of it, and also when I touch the plug-in to the wall. Happened about 5 weeks ago but I am overseas now and don't have much money to spend on it. I have also done my very best to try and fix it myself, but am not willing to shock myself again... going to get someone else to look at it.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If it's not the plug then it's the power circuitry on the motherboard. At this point I would just disassemble and wash the entire board in 99% isopropyl alcohol to try to get rid of the soda residue that is likely bridging electrical components with the casing.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote