Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #181
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, good to have a bad game and have the score reflect that, as opposed to playing like that, and losing 3-1.

The "its not that we lose, its how we lose" will be a tainted statement this season; everyone expecting the Flames, if they don't win, to lose in unbelievable fashion like they did last weekend against Chicago, will have a rude awakening.

Irving played well, but that first goal from Schroerder on the tip that somehow went in and through him, was the end of the game basically.

Like it or not, teams that are struggling in a game need both the great saves he did make, but also not to see the ones that probably should be saved, go in.

That one doesn't go in, and it's 2-1 going into the third, the Flames may come out with a bit more confidence, both being down 1 goal not 2, and that their goalie is keeping them in it. Instead, they're down 2, at the end of a trip, the top line getting shut down and the goalie not looking completely confident.

Vancouver's a good shut down team. Last night, as most teams do, they focus on the Iginla line and force the Flames to beat them with another line. Once that top line gets shut down, its up to the second line of Hudler and Cervenka to step up and generate chances and get Vancouver to start worrying about them, too. With that line is adjusting to changing linemates with Backlund out, they were never a threat that Vancouver had to worry about re-allocating resources to, so the focus stayed on the only team that they figured could hurt them, the top line. Also, Vigneualt seemed to throw out the Sedin line when the 3rd or 4th line was out (as opposed to matching 3rd and 4th lines), at least in the 2nd (didn't see the third), and totally dominated the zone and possession.

Not a concern, outside of the re-enforcement that Kiprusoff has been taken for granted, and more timely, that the second line (or contributions from the third line) have to be ready to step up when good opponents are able to neutralize the top line.

Tomorrow should be another good test of that.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #182
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
That's how most teams are when they play the Flames. It sucks because this team doesn't have the respect of most other teams and a lot of fans. A few years ago, this team would strike fear in other teams, teams hated playing against the Flames and they not only had their respect but they had a chance.

Most teams have changed and evolved their game, they built around the players they had or brought new players in. The Flames have just become complacent. Not much has changed and because of it games like last night happen. The nucks haven't changed that much, the Flames have just gotten worse.
We have not been a feared or respected team for a long time. The hard working lunch bucket team was under Darryl. Ever since then we have been soft and easy to play against. Being soft is fine as long as you have the puck on your stick and force the other team to chase.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #183
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Problem with Irving is that the team in the Dzone panics and callapses on the puck carrier leaving the point and the weakside winger open. They clearly have zero confidence in him.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #184
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jones and Comeau kill every play that touches their stick it seems. Hopefully Sarich gets back into the lineup next game as well, he should never have been scratched in the first place.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #185
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm sure my opinion doesn't carry much weight, because it has already been hammered to death.

I don't get the obsession with play by play guys. Kerr, Lee, Weeks, etc etc etc. It is easy to get caught in the mob mentality of CP when everybody piles on somebody for some reason.

You can't fault guys for being fans of certain teams. You don't get into the game in that capacity without being a fan.

Generally, I like Hughson. Talent wise he is probably one of the best among Canadian broadcasters.

However. Last night, I was embarrassed for Hughson. In previous games you could sense his affinity for the Canucks, but not to the point where is was cringe worthy. Last night was not the case. It was flat out embarrassing. When other members of the media subtlely suggest the same, it has become painstakingly obvious.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #186
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
LOL

Calm down it wasn't like it was a flying elbow in which Street took a run from the other side of the ice.

It was an accidental elbow during the play that looked like it stung more than anything else and will result in Bieksa missing exactly 0 minutes of ice time.

Plus the fact that Bieksa deserves every bad thing that happens to him makes a little play like that all the more fun.
Ok, I had no clue how hard or how it happened, but still, if bieksa would have been the one elbowing Street, then people would be bitching here.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #187
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
Ok, I had no clue how hard or how it happened, but still, if bieksa would have been the one elbowing Street, then people would be bitching here.
Of course they would that is part of being a fan.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #188
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Jones and Comeau kill every play that touches their stick it seems. Hopefully Sarich gets back into the lineup next game as well, he should never have been scratched in the first place.
Yeah they do but I'm really not sure why fans keep complaining about this, I mean they are 4th liners, if they were good players they wouldn't be on the 4th line.

I have a bigger problem with plays dying on the sticks of Iggy and Tangs. I'm so sick of those two trying to force the puck to each other when there are other better options. The Sedins don't always try and forced things to each other, They really integrate the other member of their line.

What I see a lot from Iggy and tangs is selfishness. It's like those two good buddies on your beer league team who think they are the best and everyone else sucks so they just play with each other out there.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #189
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Not a concern, outside of the re-enforcement that Kiprusoff has been taken for granted, and more timely, that the second line (or contributions from the third line) have to be ready to step up when good opponents are able to neutralize the top line.
Kipper has been taken for granted? The way some of you talk, you would think this was the first time that Vancouver has lit us up. I honestly don't think that it would have made a difference if Kipper was in net last night, especially considering the way that he has been playing this year so far.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #190
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

I usually don't complain about the commentators, but when Hughson, talking about the Vancouver roster, said "we don't really have a cap problem", it said everything you need to know about his level of objectivity.

As for the game, it is one that was not meant to be. I have always been a Backlund skeptic, but we missed him last night.
MolsonInBothHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #191
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No biggie. Bieksa said he gave Street a chop to the ribs so he said they were even. They only made a big deal out of it because it happened as the game ended and Bieksa was a scheduled guest on After Hours. It added drama, I suppose.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #192
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
I usually don't complain about the commentators, but when Hughson, talking about the Vancouver roster, said "we don't really have a cap problem", it said everything you need to know about his level of objectivity.

As for the game, it is one that was not meant to be. I have always been a Backlund skeptic, but we missed him last night.
I also enjoyed Simpson talking about the Canucks player going off for a hook and Hughson throwns a "barely a hook" in. Hughson is bad at the best of times but last night had even Canucks fans shaking their heads.

In terms of the actual game, Flames had nothing and looked really flat. Canucks took it to them and the Flames have no one to fault but themselves as a collective group
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #193
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bieksa on After Hours asked about the elbow. He talks about mindcheck.ca and Rick Rypien.

Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #194
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would never choose to listen to Kevin Bieksa.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #195
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, I just watched the extended highlights of the game on the Flames site. Those spectacular saves in the first period... did Irving do that the whole game!?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #196
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use to chastise "Canuck fans" for not supporting their team during their lean years when it was embarrassing to be a Canucks fan but I guess I'm starting to understand how hard it is to support a team that is so woefully managed and fails to do the right thing.

I'm not going to jump ship, but I am starting to understand why they were like that. I suppose I was too hard on them.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #197
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Of course they would that is part of being a fan.
No, that is a part of being a hypocrite.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #198
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you'll find most fans are hypocrites, it's part of being a fan.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #199
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I think you'll find most fans are hypocrites, it's part of being a fan.
Depends on the situation, elbowing someones face for sure ain't a nice thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #200
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So when I cheer for a Flames goal and boo a Canucks goal is that being a hypocrite?

Do you really find it odd that fans like when Flames players do something and have a different view when players from other teams (especially a rival) do the same thing?

Again we are not talking about a huge cheap shot here it was a run of the mill play that happens if not once a game once every game or two.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote