Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #21
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
If it was me, I'd blow off the inspection (maybe leave your place unlocked the day of as someone suggested up thread) and give notice to move out. The rental market is in your favour now, and it sounds like your landlord is over-charging you AND isn't very accommodating.
Best advice in the thread IF you are actually prepared to move out and aren't troubled that the landlord might choose to not offer a better deal. But its risky,
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
There is no doubt it is your responsibility as per the provision of the lease you signed.
Which clause in the lease?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every Wednesday??Are you serious? Do they think people just sits at home every Wednesday?? People work... is the condo board paying one of you by missing a day off work?
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm unemployed, I'd sit at your house all day for some cash...
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
I'm unemployed, I'd sit at your house all day for some cash...
Yeah...speaking of which, what kind of silverware and appliances do you have? Any antiques or fake Bibles full of cash?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #26
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the landlord's responsibility. Contact Service Alberta. Then you can forward that info to the landlord.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

There is also an important lesson here for anybody looking at buying a condo. The condo board can make up rules that be a real pain in the butt. I was renting a condo years ago, and the condo board was made up of a bunch of retirees (which is what I am guessing is the case for the OP.)

They had rules like snow had to be shoveled within 12 hours- so if it snowed overnight I had to risk being late for work of facing the penalty. I even debated that with them, and the answer was that I should check in the middle of the night to see if it's snowing, or always wake up 15 minutes early every day just in case.

They also denied my application to put in a window air conditioner on the basis that "you don't need A/C in Calgary; and if it's too hot, go sleep in the basement."

I felt like I was 17 and living with my parents some times. And that isn't any way to live in what is supposed to be your home.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #28
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Haha I was just agreeing with these parts of the OP:
Aha - didn't realize that! I thought you just went from: "do I have to stay home for this inspection" to "you should give notice and move out."

Always read the OP carefully
Old 09-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #29
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
There is also an important lesson here for anybody looking at buying a condo. The condo board can make up rules that be a real pain in the butt. I was renting a condo years ago, and the condo board was made up of a bunch of retirees (which is what I am guessing is the case for the OP.)

They had rules like snow had to be shoveled within 12 hours- so if it snowed overnight I had to risk being late for work of facing the penalty. I even debated that with them, and the answer was that I should check in the middle of the night to see if it's snowing, or always wake up 15 minutes early every day just in case.

They also denied my application to put in a window air conditioner on the basis that "you don't need A/C in Calgary; and if it's too hot, go sleep in the basement."

I felt like I was 17 and living with my parents some times. And that isn't any way to live in what is supposed to be your home.
That also goes for Home Owners Associations (HOAs.) They aren't a huge issue in Calgary or Canada but they can be brutal in the USA. I have a couple buddies who are always posting their encounters with their HOA down in Vegas. Those are soul-sucking, totalitarian regimes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #30
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yep, couldn't get out of my condo fast enough. Had an old lady who had nothing better to do on the condo board, she was a nightmare.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #31
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had a boss like that for one of my summer jobs back in university. He would dock you pay if you were late (fair enough in most cases) even if the matter was beyond your control (flat tire, road closed etc.). His expectation was also that you should leave early enough to take all possibilities into account.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Same, had two Jim Lahey wannabe's the enforced the most insane rules.

You nailed the reason I can't stand condo boards. It's my home, treat me like an adult.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Same, had two Jim Lahey wannabe's the enforced the most insane rules.

You nailed the reason I can't stand condo boards. It's my home, treat me like an adult.

You would think that would work. But you always have someone who sucks that makes the rules neccessary. And if you don't enforce the bylaws for all you can have difficulty enforcing them where required.

From my experience if you are in a condo you should join the board. It's about the only way to ensure reasonable bylaws exist and are enforced reasonably.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #34
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Hey all -

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Thanks to Minnie and Taco for telling me to phone these guys - no bias and willing to chat:

http://servicealberta.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #35
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Hey all -

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Thanks to Minnie and Taco for telling me to phone these guys - no bias and willing to chat:

http://servicealberta.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm
Hey all

Just to update - we were not required to be at home during the inspection. Service AB was a good source of info!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post: