Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
His 12 goals and 24 points disagree with you.

Now Lance Bouma and his 7 points on the other hand........
If Lance Bouma had gotten the ice time and PP time that Chiasson did I would solidly bet he would have posted better numbers than Chiasson which in itself is sad.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I don't know if Bjugstad should be on that list. He has had injury problems which curtailed his production, but I don't think that Florida has soured on him at all.

I think that our own internal options are all better than these guys, except for Smith-Pelley, who is a high character bottom six player (when the chips are down, you win with guys like this), and Olesiak could be interesting, as defensemen take longer to mature than forwards.
What??? Smith-Pelly is pretty bad. He's barely any better than Bouma.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #23
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked that people would give Yak another chance-he's skilled, but he's selfish, soft, and absolutely oblivious to contributing anything towards team defence. Skill is great, but i question his actual hockey sense, and work ethic.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
What??? Smith-Pelly is pretty bad. He's barely any better than Bouma.
And we all want Hathaway to get a spot next year....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #25
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bring Yak on a PTO. Still think he can play and just needs proper leadership to guide him.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be all over Yak if we could get him for really cheap or a 2-way deal. Decent shot, right age, and a RW. Could be a nice fit with Gaudreau. Obviously it's more likely he'll still suck but I'd take a chance on him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #27
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I see Yak as a slightly younger Setoguchi at this point.
(compared to Seto's time in Calgary)

Last edited by Toonage; 05-29-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just say no to Joe
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How about Alexander Burmistrov?
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #30
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Those totals are pretty underwhelming given the amount of time he spent playing with Monahan and Gaudreau. That said I feel he showed that he could be a solid bottom six contributor.
I thought he played better when away from those guy and actually showed that he could be effective in a lesser role.
Not sure why this guy gets so much hate. It isn't like he even makes a lot of salary? He delivers on his contract.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #31
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yak is a big one for me. I think the guy got seriously set back by being thrown in the fire right away in Edmonton. I watched him a lot in the OHL and he has unreal talent, he just didn't forget how to play or lost his skill. I believe it is all in his head now, if he can be brought in and given a vote of confidence and put on the top line he has the chance to be that RW we need, God knows the skill is there. Add in the fact he could shove it back in the Oilers face and I would love to see Tre take a chance on him. At worst he goes to Stockton and might find his game there but I still think it is a confidence issue.
Yakupov in junior reminded me of Pavel Brendl - in that he scored junior level goals. His shot is not that great and his offensive instincts are poor.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #32
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Chiasson and Versteeg are both no brainers to bring back. Versteeg was simply awesome in the playoffs and really 'brought it' every game. Chiasson - though very underwhelming on the top line - was very, very good in his bottom 6 role. Those are two reclamation projects that worked out well.

Yakupov would be interesting, and I would love for the Flames to give him a PTO and see how he does, but I imagine he will get another contract from another team somewhere. It would be glorious to get him for nothing, and have him blossom into a good scoring RW to really rub that in those greasy noses.

I always thought Oleksiak was going to be a solid defencemen... but he just hasn't improved.

You bring Colborne in and he will perform much better here than in Colordado - but only as a buyout. I bet he gets 20 goals alongside Backlund, and it would give the Flames flexibility to move Tkachuk to a more traditional scoring line. However, I also subscribe to the notion that Colorado stinks in every way, and that mostly every player not named Bourque or Comeau would experience increased point totals on other teams. They have really good pieces on that team who also seemingly forgot how to score.

Speaking about Colorado... surprised nobody has mentioned Iginla yet. Though not a reclamation project exactly due to his age, I would bet in the right circumstance he pots in around 20 goals. That's nothing to sneeze at, if the contract is cheap. I think he is heading back east anyways since he has already bought a house in Boston - but you never know.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'm shocked that people would give Yak another chance-he's skilled, but he's selfish, soft, and absolutely oblivious to contributing anything towards team defence. Skill is great, but i question his actual hockey sense, and work ethic.
You have not watched Nail Yakupov at all. He's always been head-down, ass-up sort of player. He's never been lazy. It's the fact that the puck always died on his stick and he's never in position that raises questions about him.

Nail would make a good 4th line energy forward if nothing else. I would take a flyer on him for a million.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #34
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Joe Colborne - Too lazy

Nail Yakupov
- Not a bad idea

Devante Smith-Pelley
- I dunno

Stefan Noesen - I dunno

Jamie Olesiak - I dunno

Jimmy Hayes - Too lazy and inconsistent

Nick Bjugstad - Hell yes

Zemgus Girgensons - Maybe

Brandon Pirri - One dimensional

Beau Bennett - Maybe
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #35
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of that list, I would take a shot on Beau Bennett - a right-shooting right wing with decent possession numbers in a depth role. Also doesn't take stupid penalties like many depth players.

Chiasson is an in-house example who should be brought back.

For older players, Versteeg is another I would take back.

Daniel Winnik has always been great defensively and put up good possession metrics in tough circumstances. Not sure there is any need for a left winger, though.

As with last year, both Parenteau and Stalberg are serviceable in middle rotation roles. Parenteau is a right-shooting right wing who can score, while, like Winnik, Stalberg probably doesn't fit as a left wing.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #36
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames likely have some turnover up front. As I see things here are the players that are likely locks to return
Gaudreau-Monahan-?
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
?-?-?

Guys likely to fill the bottom line spot or be taken by Vegas
Stajan , Bouma, Chiasson, Brouwer

Guys knocking on the door
Jankowski, Hathaway, Shinkaruk

Looking at that forward group the only room I see for Versteeg is if Lazar slides down to the 4th line and he plays with Ferland and Bennett. If that is the case I don't see room for Chiasson. I also feel 2 of Bouma, Stajan, and Brouwer won't play much for the Flames next year. One of Stajan or Brouwer are taken by Vegas and Bouma is buried in the AHL. Jankowski will force his way on the roster next year likely with Hathaway and one of Stajan or Brouwer (which would mean no room for Chiasson or Versteeg). The result would be the Flames have a new top line RW. If the team feels someone like Ferland or Tkachuk should get the spot it opens an opportunity to retain Versteeg, Chiasson or one of these reclamation projects.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Definitely thinking Versteeg comes back, I think he wants to be here and is a low-hanging fruit UFA signing for extra firepower. Would love to have him back too.

Yakupov or Bennett would be great reclamation projects. However, would personally love to snag Dadonov from the KHL, assuming he doesn't sign with Vegas or something. Great numbers in Russia last year, and could be the type of RW that plays well with Johnny and Sean.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Definitely thinking Versteeg comes back, I think he wants to be here and is a low-hanging fruit UFA signing for extra firepower. Would love to have him back too.

Yakupov or Bennett would be great reclamation projects. However, would personally love to snag Dadonov from the KHL, assuming he doesn't sign with Vegas or something. Great numbers in Russia last year, and could be the type of RW that plays well with Johnny and Sean.
Versteeg was a great example of a reclamation project working great for us. Most of the time, it seems like they don't (Setoguchi, Lundmark, Sjostrom, Murray). But like drafting, the more darts you throw, the better the chance of finding someone.

I do expect that Vegas will use their exclusive window to offer a contract to Versteeg and I wouldn't be surprised if Versteeg gives the Flames a chance to match. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Vegas' offer is too good to match. Versteeg on a cheap "show-me" deal is terrific. Paying him what he likely earned last season and will get this season comes with a little more risk given his history however. We can't forget he would have been playing in the Swiss league last year if it wasn't for insurance problems.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anybody on that list better than Lazar?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #40
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be pretty ok with the Flames just skipping reclamation projects for a while.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: