Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #81
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Only thing I have to add is Tkachuk shouldn't be on Backlund's line next year. Backs is brilliant at what he does, which is shut down the opponent's best line. His lines 0% offensive zone starts is admirable, but that's not why we drafted Tkachuk. He needs to be put in more offensive situations where he can take a few more risks, say on a line with a guy like Bennett. Let a fresh faced rookie (Jankowski) take over the roll of defensive forward, time to take the leash off Tkachuk.
I think if we have essentially the same forwards corps going into next season, Tkachuk should be paired with Bennett, maybe throw Frolik on the RW to give them some defensive and offensive reliability. Allow Jankowski to learn the game glued to Backs' hip, and maybe put someone like Ferland on their RW for some physicality and a board / behind the net presence.

The simplest way to upgrade the RW position would be a Brouwer out & Oshie in type of situation.

Matthew Tkachuk - Sam Bennett - Michael Frolik
Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - TJ Oshie
Mark Jankowski - Mikael Backlund - Micheal Ferland
Morgan Klimchuk - Curtis Lazar - Garnett Hathaway

I think that's a much improved forward set of lines. Those are three really deep lines that can all put the puck in the net and disturb you with their jam and defensive acumen. And the fourth line much improved from this year too.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #82
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Lol, what the hell is a Backlund homer?
Pretty much a CPer lol.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #83
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Pretty much a CPer lol.
I was hoping for a little more insight then that. You're not a troll, so I don't understand your angle here. Backlund is the last player on this team that should be considered "over rated".
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #84
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Yakupov*
Versteeg - Bennett - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Alzner/Stone
UFA Vet - Anderson

Bishop
Gillies/Johnson

*STL decides not to qualify Yak. Flames sign him as ufa 1.5Mx1. Yak has motivation to show the oilers wrong. Goes on to a successful career as a Flame.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #85
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Oshie
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Jankowski - Bennett - Versteeg
Klimchuk - Stajan - Chiasson
Bouma, Lazar

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Franson
Bartkowski - Stone
Kulak

Darling
Johnson/Gillies
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #86
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Bouma - Stajan - Hathaway
F. Hamilton, Lazar (bottom 5 all interchangeable)

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - UFA
Kulak/Wotherspoon - Stone

UFA/Trade
Gillies
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #87
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the idea of bringing Iginla in for RW depth (not top line). That's all contingent on getting rid of Brouwer. How big a price is too big a price to convince LV that Brouwer is right for them? I wouldn't give up a first, but what is LA offering for LV to take their former captain?

I could live with Stajan for another year, but he isn't playing every game for this team, or this team won't be better.

I think the Flames can find a taker for Bouma. It's 1 year. It's 2.2M. Even if the Flames have to eat half. Their just isn't a role for him in Calgary next year. I wouldn't mind if he's sent to Stockton. I'm betting there is a team that will bite, as he has scored 16 goals in a season.

Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk
Ferland Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Versteeg
Chiasson Hamilton Hathaway
Stajan

Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Stone
Kulak Engelland
Wotherspoon/Bartkowski

Bishop/Fleury
Rittich

Not as many changes as most would like to see. But still significant. I think there is 0 chance Elliot is back, and 100% chance that a veteran high price #1 is here next year. Also don't like the idea of Gillies starting less than once/week. So Rittich is my backup. The Flames are less invested in him, and he's more of a finished product.

And to conclude, I bring Engelland back for 1 year. I don't think there are offers for multiple years because 35+ contracts are damning. It might cost 2.5-3M. But I do not see the Flames tied down to 2 young unproven D next year.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #88
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48

Here is a list of dates to look forward to in terms of the Flames adjusting their roster.

Off-season important dates:

June 18, 2017: NHL Expansion Draft player list released
June 21, 2017: NHL Expansion Draft picks revealed
June 23-24, 2017: NHL Draft, takes place in Chicago, IL
June 24th, 2017 – Free Agent Interview Period Opens
July 1st, 2017 – Start of Free Agency

June cannot come soon enough!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #89
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouma - Bennett - Lazar
Stajan- Jankowski - Hathaway
Hamilton

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Andersson
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Halak
Rittich

I see all of out solutions being internal, although I'm not opposed to a RW. Everyone loves oshie, and yakapov is intriguing as a reclamation.

Halak is underrated for his ability, and he has been jerked around in NY. I think that he is an upgrade on Elliott, and I see Bishop being a casualty of new equipment rules in the future.

If an AHL player outplays Bouma for the spot, so be it. Brouwer to LV.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 04-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #90
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Via Darren Haynes Twitter
Lance Bouma
- 2014-15 season: 16-18-34, plus-10 (in 78 gm)
- Other five seasons: 11-22-33, minus-18 (in 226 gm)

Two words: Mikael Backlund
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #91
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Jankowski - Bennett - Versteeg
Klimchuk - Stajan - Chiasson
Bouma, Lazar

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Franson
Bartkowski - Stone
Kulak

Darling
Johnson/Gillies
I think you are the first person that didn't have Ferland anywhere in the line up. Reasoning?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #92
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Assuming VGK takes Stajan in expansion draft

- Deal Bouma to VAN for a late pick. They're not a cap team and rebuilding so the $2.2 million hit for a 4th liner for one year won't bother them. Weisbrod familiar with him and Bouma lives/trains in VAN in the off season, so it's a good move all around I would think.

RFA's

- Bennett - 2 x $2.200 (Bridge)
- Ferland - 3 x $1.500
- Chiasson - 3 x $1.000
- Lazar, Gillies, Rittich - 1 x $874,125 (QO's)
- Hathaway - 1 x $715,000 (QO)
- Kulak - 1 x $660,000 (QO)

Internal UFA's

- Stone - 3 x $3.500 - Ends the same year as Brodie's so you have money to transfer to Brodie for an extension if you choose, and 3 years is about when you really hope RHD prospects like Andersson and Fox are ready to fully take on a top 4 RHD spot.

- Engelland - 1 x $1.500 - Vegas will have a boat load of 4-7 Dmen from the draft so they probably won't be banging down Engelland's door. Bring him back for one year to be the 3rd pair RHD, gives Andersson another year to log huge minutes in Stockton and be an injury call up. If he forces his way on past Engelland, then great.

- Johnson - 1 x $1.500 - Good veteran back up from Calgary, gets a wee raise but no term because Gillies and Rittich will be pushing hard in the next couple of seasons for the back up spot. Parsons too maybe. We were ridiculously lucky with goalie injuries this season, so not a bad idea to keep these goalies around for depth.

External UFA's

- Bishop - 5 x $6.000 - Vezina finalist twice in three seasons from 2014-2016 and this deal would ink him from 31-35 years of age. His puck handling, steady presence in goal and ability to elevate his play come playoff time would be a huge asset to the team as it's contention window opens. No more dinking around with the goaltending, get it done.

- Williams - 2 x $3.500 - 35 years old but still producing. I can't see a way to get a young core age RW in here, so use Williams as a stop gap until someone pushes there way up there from within. Plus, this guy is absolute money in the post season. Basically an upgrade on Versteeg in that he'll probably fit better on the top line. If BT can trade for a younger top line RW before UFA instead, all the better. If Williams isn't interested then you can always fall back to Versteeg.

Gaudreau (6.750) - Monahan - (6.375) - Williams (3.500)
Tkachuk (0.925) - Backlund (3.575) - Frolik (4.300)
Jankowski (0.925) - Bennett (2.200) - Brouwer (4.500)
M Ferland (1.500) - C Lazar (0.874) - Chiasson (1.000)

F Hamilton (0.612) - Hathaway (0.715)

Giordano (6.750) - D Hamilton (5.750)
TJ Brodie (4.650) - Stone (3.500)
B Kulak (0.660) - Engelland (1.500)

Bartkowski (0.612)

Bishop (6.000)
Johnson (1.500)

Raymond Buy Out - (1.050)

$69,724,525 Total Cap Hit

$3-5 million in cap space depending on how much cap goes up
Janko, Kulak, Hathaway graduate, Andersson, Gillies, Klimchuk not far behind hopefully

Very similar roster overall to this years team but:

1. Huge upgrade in goaltending, unless you really believe Bishop is washed up (he's not )
2. Top 4 D core intact from the start, Kulak a year older and hopefully better
3. Versteeg upgraded to Williams
4. Stajan/Bouma out Lazar/Jankowski in
5. Team already tuned into GG's system
6. Hopefully internal growth from the young core with another year under their belts
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #93
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
- Assuming VGK takes Stajan in expansion draft

- Deal Bouma to VAN for a late pick. They're not a cap team and rebuilding so the $2.2 million hit for a 4th liner for one year won't bother them. Weisbrod familiar with him and Bouma lives/trains in VAN in the off season, so it's a good move all around I would think.

RFA's

- Bennett - 2 x $2.200 (Bridge)
- Ferland - 3 x $1.500
- Chiasson - 3 x $1.000
- Lazar, Gillies, Rittich - 1 x $874,125 (QO's)
- Hathaway - 1 x $715,000 (QO)
- Kulak - 1 x $660,000 (QO)

Internal UFA's

- Stone - 3 x $3.500 - Ends the same year as Brodie's so you have money to transfer to Brodie for an extension if you choose, and 3 years is about when you really hope RHD prospects like Andersson and Fox are ready to fully take on a top 4 RHD spot.

- Engelland - 1 x $1.500 - Vegas will have a boat load of 4-7 Dmen from the draft so they probably won't be banging down Engelland's door. Bring him back for one year to be the 3rd pair RHD, gives Andersson another year to log huge minutes in Stockton and be an injury call up. If he forces his way on past Engelland, then great.

- Johnson - 1 x $1.500 - Good veteran back up from Calgary, gets a wee raise but no term because Gillies and Rittich will be pushing hard in the next couple of seasons for the back up spot. Parsons too maybe. We were ridiculously lucky with goalie injuries this season, so not a bad idea to keep these goalies around for depth.

External UFA's

- Bishop - 5 x $6.000 - Vezina finalist twice in three seasons from 2014-2016 and this deal would ink him from 31-35 years of age. His puck handling, steady presence in goal and ability to elevate his play come playoff time would be a huge asset to the team as it's contention window opens. No more dinking around with the goaltending, get it done.

- Williams - 2 x $3.500 - 35 years old but still producing. I can't see a way to get a young core age RW in here, so use Williams as a stop gap until someone pushes there way up there from within. Plus, this guy is absolute money in the post season. Basically an upgrade on Versteeg in that he'll probably fit better on the top line. If BT can trade for a younger top line RW before UFA instead, all the better. If Williams isn't interested then you can always fall back to Versteeg.

Gaudreau (6.750) - Monahan - (6.375) - Williams (3.500)
Tkachuk (0.925) - Backlund (3.575) - Frolik (4.300)
Jankowski (0.925) - Bennett (2.200) - Brouwer (4.500)
M Ferland (1.500) - C Lazar (0.874) - Chiasson (1.000)

F Hamilton (0.612) - Hathaway (0.715)

Giordano (6.750) - D Hamilton (5.750)
TJ Brodie (4.650) - Stone (3.500)
B Kulak (0.660) - Engelland (1.500)

Bartkowski (0.612)

Bishop (6.000)
Johnson (1.500)

Raymond Buy Out - (1.050)

$69,724,525 Total Cap Hit

$3-5 million in cap space depending on how much cap goes up
Janko, Kulak, Hathaway graduate, Andersson, Gillies, Klimchuk not far behind hopefully

Very similar roster overall to this years team but:

1. Huge upgrade in goaltending, unless you really believe Bishop is washed up (he's not )
2. Top 4 D core intact from the start, Kulak a year older and hopefully better
3. Versteeg upgraded to Williams
4. Stajan/Bouma out Lazar/Jankowski in
5. Team already tuned into GG's system
6. Hopefully internal growth from the young core with another year under their belts
I think the only way we would even consider signing williams is if we can get rid of Brouwer. He seems like a very similar player and I honestly don't want to get another veteran player that is supposed to be a "beast" in the playoffs. I would much rather use that spot on Versteeg or a player in the AHL.

Also, there are going to be so many good goalies that can be had for cheap (Fleury, Korpisalo, Grubauer, etc.) that I would much rather trade for them. I honestly don't expect Bishop to go back to his Vezina form ever again.
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #94
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
I think the only way we would even consider signing williams is if we can get rid of Brouwer. He seems like a very similar player and I honestly don't want to get another veteran player that is supposed to be a "beast" in the playoffs. I would much rather use that spot on Versteeg or a player in the AHL.
Williams and Brouwer are nothing alike and hes not "supposed" to be a beat in the playoffs, he absolutely 100% is a beast in the playoffs. He won the Conn Smythe 3 years and was a key part of three Stanley Cup wins. He ahsn;t slowed down either, already has 5 points in 5 games in these playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Also, there are going to be so many good goalies that can be had for cheap (Fleury, Korpisalo, Grubauer, etc.) that I would much rather trade for them. I honestly don't expect Bishop to go back to his Vezina form ever again.
Have to agree to disagree, but that's common around here when discussing Bishop it seems.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #95
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
- Bishop - 5 x $6.000
Strikes me as a big overpayment. I mean... a guy worth 5x6 almost certainly has way more suitors and fetches a much high price then he got.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #96
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't give a goalie more then a 3 year deal max.

These bishop for 5 years deals are insane .
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #97
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ownership wont spend money on an arena, why would they spend money on FA.

Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson
Lazar

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Engelland
Bartkowski - Anderson
Kulak

Johnson
Rittich

Johnson @ 2.5m/2 Years
Versteeg @ 2.2m/3 Years
Stone lands in Dallas or Vegas
Chaison @ ~1m/2 Years
Lose Shinkaruk to expansion
Jankowski brews in AHL
Engelland resigns cheap late in Summer when his Vegas plans fall through, dudes old
Gilles gets injured in the off season and is considered Krahn levels of injury prone
Hathaway is not qualified and we riot
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really see the need for Chiasson. He's a good bottom line winger but the Flames already have Brouwer and Hathaway for that plus some guys who might move into those positions suby as Freddie and Laser.

Chiasson would provide more offensively than Hathaway but I think Hathaway brings more of what the Flames need on the bottom lines.

Brouwer isn't going anywhere, no one is trading for him and the Golden Knights are not taking him.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #99
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
Ownership wont spend money on an arena, why would they spend money on FA.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #100
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Strikes me as a big overpayment. I mean... a guy worth 5x6 almost certainly has way more suitors and fetches a much high price then he got.
If we can get him for less I'm all for it, but there will be a few suitors for a guy who was a Vezina finalist 2/3 years, even if he had an off year.

I would expect Dallas to buy out one of their goalies (Niemi probably) and make a push. Winnipeg could very likely be in the mix, or at least they should be. Possibly Philly too, and Vancouver could potentially kick tires in him as well.

Hopefully none of them do though, and Brad is the only guy that calls his agent in the courting period and gets him for a crazy bargain.

Tags
too soon?