Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #101
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is what prices are in Seoul for dental by US trained Dentists in fantastic clinics:

Cleaning $50
Cap $450
Bridge $1100

I was very very happy to find these prices. Apparently much cheaper in Panama as well...so hop on a plane folks. LOL
I pay less in Seoul to go for cleaning 2 or 3 times a year than one time in Canada.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #102
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

even if the government creates a fee guide, if the dentists choose to ignore it, what does it really matter.

I guess the government looks like they are doing something then, rather than ignoring the "problem"
Old 12-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #103
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dental and Vision health should be covered by AHS. That would be a tax increase most would be on board with.

They are part of our bodies and necessary for whole body health, so why not?
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #104
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
don't they charge more if there is insurance and less if it's straight cash?

example 350 with insurance and 150 if cash.

That's how it is in the hood.
Not all dentists do this . Mine does, but not quite at the steep discount you've highlighted . It never hurts to ask or shop around if you're not using up benefits.

My old dentist never did this for me even when I wasn't on benefits. When I jumped ship to someone cheaper, he called me after I stopped showing up, offering a discount because I wasn't on benefits. I guess I could have received a discount if I asked, but I was sorta looking to find a new dentist anyways.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #105
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Dental and Vision health should be covered by AHS. That would be a tax increase most would be on board with.

It would likely cost 4 billion or so dollars to do.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It would likely cost 4 billion or so dollars to do.
Add it to the pile!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #107
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The average annual dental claims cost of an average person in Alberta with a typical dental plan (100% basic, 50% major and 50% ortho) is around $1300 annually. And in some extra for the stuff that is not covered - say $300 and that means an extra tax charge of around $1500. The tax could be reduced if the coverage offered was stripped down. But this is well above the estimate of the new carbon tax.

how much would your annual salary adjustment need to be to offset this new tax?

The government getting in our mouths has the potential to be an epic boondoggle
Old 12-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #108
Knut

Exp:

Quote:

Eye-care is covered for over 65 and under 19 + all medically necessary tests between 19-65. There is no way it would become fully covered at this point. Exam fee's are typically $90-$140 (usually dependent on if you wear contacts or not) every two years. Which is quite affordable compared to dentistry.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #109
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exam every 2 years? I was told to go once a year. Is that a scam? I have decent eyes with only minor corrective lenses.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #110
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Exam every 2 years? I was told to go once a year. Is that a scam? I have decent eyes with only minor corrective lenses.
Most private insurance only covers an exam every two years. The recommendation used to be yearly, but in healthy adults every two years is more than adequate. Contact lens wearers, and at risk populations for eye disease, should be seen every year though.

The Canadian and American Association of Optometrists recommend every two years for healthy adults and every year for Kids and seniors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #111
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
The average annual dental claims cost of an average person in Alberta with a typical dental plan (100% basic, 50% major and 50% ortho) is around $1300 annually. And in some extra for the stuff that is not covered - say $300 and that means an extra tax charge of around $1500. The tax could be reduced if the coverage offered was stripped down. But this is well above the estimate of the new carbon tax.

how much would your annual salary adjustment need to be to offset this new tax?

The government getting in our mouths has the potential to be an epic boondoggle
The flaw in your argument is that it would cost the same in the absence of private dental plans. We already know many dentists charge different fees based on the presence/absence of a dental plan, so there is no reason the overall cost shouldn't be less.

Also, employers would have to pay significantly less for employee health/dental plans, so some of that would translate into increased salary.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #112
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
The flaw in your argument is that it would cost the same in the absence of private dental plans. We already know many dentists charge different fees based on the presence/absence of a dental plan, so there is no reason the overall cost shouldn't be less.y.
Interested to know how you know this to be true. It has never been that way in my office and since the majority of dentists don't take assignment of benefits, I would highly doubt that the majority of dentists would do so ..... in fact, it is insurance fraud to do so. Since an insurance audit could take place at any time, the likliehood of a two tiered fee structure would be highly unlikely.

I understand your beef with the use of CBCT (and in some respects I agree with you) but your statement above is wrong.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #113
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dentoman - is it common to charge 3 units of scaling regardless of time taken? Would that vary if they were paying cash or had no insurance?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #114
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Dentoman - is it common to charge 3 units of scaling regardless of time taken? Would that vary if they were paying cash or had no insurance?
I don't know about the commonality of it, but it is unethical and fraudulent.
Once again, in my office there is no difference, cash vs. insurance.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #115
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a standard cleaning under insurance though, would they always charge 3 units ? I've always been charged 3 units, and only started questioning it when I learned a unit was 15 minutes, and there are some times I am de-scaled (?) in under 30 mins, yet always charged the 3 units.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #116
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
For a standard cleaning under insurance though, would they always charge 3 units ? I've always been charged 3 units, and only started questioning it when I learned a unit was 15 minutes, and there are some times I am de-scaled (?) in under 30 mins, yet always charged the 3 units.
If you have any concerns, you should question it. A unit is 15 minutes or portion there of.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #117
Knut

Exp:

^ i think we need a "I am a Dentist, ask me anything thread"
Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #118
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Ducay, could you please film your next conversation with your dentist or the cashier when you go to pay, and begin accusing them of insurance fraud based on what you'd read from Dentoman on the internet?

No offence to Dentoman, but I think watching that conversation would be a blast.

"NO I only owe you TWO units. Dentoman said so."
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #119
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post

Also, employers would have to pay significantly less for employee health/dental plans, so some of that could translate into increased salary.
Sorry had to fix that part.

Definitely agree though with it being a good thing for plans to be cheaper by not allowing dentists to gouge insured patients.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #120
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Ducay, could you please film your next conversation with your dentist or the cashier when you go to pay, and begin accusing them of insurance fraud based on what you'd read from Dentoman on the internet?

No offence to Dentoman, but I think watching that conversation would be a blast.

"NO I only owe you TWO units. Dentoman said so."
No offence taken. Myself and my front end staff are quite frequently asked to explain what is on their bill and to break it down. We have no issues doing so. We have nothing to hide.
I agree, it would be an interesting conversation to watch.
Let's face it .... as a profession, the reputation of dentistry has gone down hill, and some of it has to do with what Ducay has experienced. People don't trust dentists like they used to and it needs to be addressed. If Ducay now knows to ask the question next time, good for him/her.
If Ducay is getting charged 3 units when there was only 2 units done ... it is insurance fraud, and I have no problem calling it out.