Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #81
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am a little surprised by the hue and cry to have the government come in and regulate the prices an independent business can charge. Next will there be a fee schedule for accountants and lawyers? Then what is next? What if they capped the price you can charge for a barrel of oil? Seems like commie madness to me.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #82
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I am a little surprised by the hue and cry to have the government come in and regulate the prices an independent business can charge. Next will there be a fee schedule for accountants and lawyers? Then what is next? What if they capped the price you can charge for a barrel of oil? Seems like commie madness to me.
I don't think they are going to regulate...which makes it pointless to issue a fee guide in the first place.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #83
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is just a move to get Dentists to come back with a Fee guide on their own. I certainly do not think they should be dictating the amount a professional charges either.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #84
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I don't think they are going to regulate...which makes it pointless to issue a fee guide in the first place.
Correct. No enforced fee schedule. Fee guide available as a point of reference I suppose. Fee guide will be established by Minister and Alberta Dental Association together.

Link to report
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...eview-2016.pdf
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #85
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Correct. No enforced fee schedule. Fee guide available as a point of reference I suppose. Fee guide will be established by Minister and Alberta Dental Association together.

Link to report
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...eview-2016.pdf

Yep...I can kind of quote Shakespeare...

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #86
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

...and yet the NDP is implementing a carbon tax which will add more to our energy bills....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #87
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Yep...I can kind of quote Shakespeare...

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
But hey ..... the optics look like something was actually done.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #88
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

don't they charge more if there is insurance and less if it's straight cash?

example 350 with insurance and 150 if cash.

That's how it is in the hood.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

Yeah, its like the discount you get on Chinese food if you pay cash...because you purchased the supplies because they're tax deductible, but you never, ever sold them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #90
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You create the US health care problem. There lacks incentivization for competition when insurance blinds the customer from the price. Capitalism only works when the consumer can select the lowest price good that meets their needs.

So when a customer with insurance goes to the dentist price isn't really a concern provided its in the insurance company fee schedule

The insurance company charges cost plus x% so doesn't fight for lower prices.

Businesses when selecting plans rarely would look at an insurance fee guide when selecting what plan to go with so points can be shaved here by the insurance company to lower rates for businesses.

Employees don't select an employer based on the fine details of dental benefits.

So no where in this cycle is there an incentive to reduce cost.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #91
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

example 350 with insurance and 150 if cash.

No, not in my office
Old 12-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #92
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You create the US health care problem. There lacks incentivization for competition when insurance blinds the customer from the price. Capitalism only works when the consumer can select the lowest price good that meets their needs.

So when a customer with insurance goes to the dentist price isn't really a concern provided its in the insurance company fee schedule

The insurance company charges cost plus x% so doesn't fight for lower prices.

Businesses when selecting plans rarely would look at an insurance fee guide when selecting what plan to go with so points can be shaved here by the insurance company to lower rates for businesses.

Employees don't select an employer based on the fine details of dental benefits.

So no where in this cycle is there an incentive to reduce cost.
Well, except for the insurer that is paying the bill. I am surprised they are not more engaged in trying to keep the prices lower. They will nickle and dime you on an auto accident or even strong arm their buddies to put a cap on soft tissue injuries but don't attack the dentists for their bills at all, as far as I can see.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #93
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Well, except for the insurer that is paying the bill. I am surprised they are not more engaged in trying to keep the prices lower. They will nickle and dime you on an auto accident or even strong arm their buddies to put a cap on soft tissue injuries but don't attack the dentists for their bills at all, as far as I can see.
A large % of insurers are only paying set fees for dentist coverage, or, they increase premiums to corporations to account for the extra cost.

Don't worry about them, they always make their money.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #94
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
A large % of insurers are only paying set fees for dentist coverage, or, they increase premiums to corporations to account for the extra cost.

Absolutely, totally, completely, not worried about insurance companies. Just a little surprised they have not tried to pressure their costs down by squeezing the dentists.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #95
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post

Quote:
Absolutely, totally, completely, not worried about insurance companies. Just a little surprised they have not tried to pressure their costs down by squeezing the dentists.
Well the rates for group insurance are based on usage. If the usage (i.e. the amount paid by the insurer) increases then so do the premiums. The insurers are forthright with this. The usage costs for the year were $X and the premium next year is $X plus an amount for the insurer. There is nothing magic going on here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #96
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
My point is they just pass the buck
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #97
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The govt needs to take this a step further and regulate fees charged by dentists.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #98
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Exactly. Want to know why the U.S. health care system is the most expensive in the world, by far? Just imagine your experience with the dentist applied to all medical transactions.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #99
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The govt needs to take this a step further and regulate fees charged by dentists.
I think this is the first step in that direction. They can wait and see what dentists do, if they hike their prices to continue to gouge patients then the government can use that as justification for regulation. They're giving dentists an opportunity to proove that regulation isn't necessary. It still doesn't help people without insurance though. I'd be in favour of trying to get dental work covered under healthcare, but would like to see the current healthcare system in better shape before that is attempted.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #100
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I understand the rationale for this fee review... but there is something about government stepping into regulate private business that gives me indigestion. And didn't we try this once already? Dentists used to have AHS billing codes long ago, didn't they? Because I remember how happy all my dentist uncles were when that finally went away.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote