Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #441
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe this could have gone in another thread but HBO Canada is airing the Wire from episode 1. There was a mini-marathon yesterday.

They've already done this with numerous shows including Deadwood and Six Feet Under.

This will be my first exposure the supposed best TV show ever. Looking forward to it.
I'm jealous. I wish I could watch it for the first time again. Omar's coming, yo!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #442
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched the first two hours of The Firm last night and decided to skip it. The dialogues are hackneyed and the plot is not very smart.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #443
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Any other thoughts about Alcatraz?

Spoiler!
Didn't like it either. I hate shows/movies that flashback.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #444
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe this could have gone in another thread but HBO Canada is airing the Wire from episode 1. There was a mini-marathon yesterday.

They've already done this with numerous shows including Deadwood and Six Feet Under.

This will be my first exposure the supposed best TV show ever. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: and if anyone missed the first 4 or 5 episodes that aired yesterday they are on Video on Demand on Telus. I'm sure they are for the other providers that have that service. Not in HD though, but I'm not sure if the first few seasons (or any of them) were shot in HD anyways.

EDIT 2: After checking the interwebs it has never been shown in HD for any of the seasons.

Interesting note is that they could have switched to HD but the DP decided not to for the sake of continuity, since the first few seasons are SD.

Even more interesting is that they shot the series on 35mm knowing HD was coming but haven't released a 16x9 format yet.
From what I have been told you have to stick with the series for a while before it gets good. All I ever heard was how great a show The Wire was, and after 8 consecutive sleeping pills they call episodes I gave up on it. Not looking to get back into it, either.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #445
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm trying me best to like Sons of anarchy (in the middle of Season 1) but good God this pretty girl is mind-numbingly annoying (I think they call her Jax?). When she reads her diary I have to hit fastforward.

Now, normally I don't mind the lack of realism on TV shows unless it's way over the top. A bunch of invincible bufoons in bullet proof leather jackets "running a town" blasting away rival gangs, leaving the scene unsathered every single time? Gets kinda tiring after a while (3 or 4 episodes) and I'm guessing it is not going to get much better, is it.

Don't get me started on acting, words like atrocious, terribad and embarrasingly unconvincing come to mind. None of these chaps look even remotely menacing as dangerous gang members, the pretty blonde mentioned above is just an icing on the cake. The leading ###### has a leadership qualities of a wet sponge, the Irish clown comes across as a drunk backpacker rather than muscle of the group (compare him to a guy like Wee-Bey on the Wire, now that's a guy you don't want to upset). The old hairy hippy is another useless sidekick who should be sitting on a sidewalk holding a cardboard in his hands...
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #446
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
I'm trying me best to like Sons of anarchy (in the middle of Season 1) but good God this pretty girl is mind-numbingly annoying (I think they call her Jax?). When she reads her diary I have to hit fastforward.

Now, normally I don't mind the lack of realism on TV shows unless it's way over the top. A bunch of invincible bufoons in bullet proof leather jackets "running a town" blasting away rival gangs, leaving the scene unsathered every single time? Gets kinda tiring after a while (3 or 4 episodes) and I'm guessing it is not going to get much better, is it.

Don't get me started on acting, words like atrocious, terribad and embarrasingly unconvincing come to mind. None of these chaps look even remotely menacing as dangerous gang members, the pretty blonde mentioned above is just an icing on the cake. The leading ###### has a leadership qualities of a wet sponge, the Irish clown comes across as a drunk backpacker rather than muscle of the group (compare him to a guy like Wee-Bey on the Wire, now that's a guy you don't want to upset). The old hairy hippy is another useless sidekick who should be sitting on a sidewalk holding a cardboard in his hands...
Pfft, Jax would knife you faster than you could say "sissy".

Also, season 4 was the best and really the only truly good season.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #447
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the sneak preview (basically the Pilot) of Touch.

I'm hooked.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #448
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

I'm hooked.
Yeah, it was alright. I will give it a couple of episodes to see where it goes.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #449
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Any other thoughts about Alcatraz?

Spoiler!
I'm intrigued. I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but I enjoyed the two hour debut. The general premise of the show is interesting to me and I want to see where they are going with it. I'm still skeptical of new shows. Especially one like this where they leave a lot to be discovered. How long can they keep a secret from the viewers before it gets tired, and how well can the story keep moving forward to prolong the secret, and also after the secret is revealed. Right now we don't really know what happened in 63 in Alcatraz, and who is behind it and who Sam Neill's character really is. Wait too long to reveal that and people will lose interest.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #450
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fourth season of 'Southland' premiered the other day. I'm mid-way through the 3rd season and absolutely loving it. I would recommend it to those who like gritty crime dramas. The second season dragged a bit, so you need patience, but it's a very rewarding show.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #451
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely love Sons of Anarchy. Prob my gave show.

Thanks to the segment popmart on team1040 I am now into Shameless

I also liked Touch, but it sucks we have to wait until March now.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #452
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

I'm hooked, Dammit!
fyp

Last edited by Mike F; 01-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #453
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Anyone else watching Downton Abbey on PBS? Probably the best show on TV right now. Written by the writer of Gosford Park.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #454
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the first episode of Luck tonight, and was thoroughly entertained.

Michael Mann, Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, Nick Nolte... Not sure how this slipped under my radar but I'm already hooked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #455
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to watch that! Looks great.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #456
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still watching Once Upon a time, and its a fabulous show.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #457
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Nobody else watching Downton Abbey? Really?

It's a period drama set during WWI in a manor house in Great Britain. If you've ever seen Gosford Park, you'll have an idea what it's about. It explores the social changes between the classes going on during that time. Even though it's on PBS, the production values are really good, and even the war scenes are very convincing (something I was entirely surprised about). It's shot on location at Highclere Castle. I can't recommend it enough!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #458
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SPINmagazine SPIN Media
Dave Grohl is getting into TV. He's executive producing a hopefully hilarious sitcom about a band in therapy. bit.ly/ySVYhV
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #459
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, I might have to watch Downton Abbey now, I'm reading "Fall of Giants" right now, which is also about a bunch of families right at the beginning of WW1, so the show will probably be even more interesting for me right now.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #460
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Nobody else watching Downton Abbey? Really?

I can't recommend it enough!
Just started Season 1.

You'll be thanked or mocked by the end of the weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post: