Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #281
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Is there not a law against such stupidity? If there isn't there need to be as this crazy stuff isn't freedom of speech.
It really, really is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #282
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Is there not a law against such stupidity? If there isn't there need to be as this crazy stuff isn't freedom of speech.

Reporting a British citizen for radical behavior will only get a look under the law, how about his Iman stand up and denounce such rubbish as paradise and those 72 virgins promised are really 72 raisins? and again, they're rubbish as well.
I'm not sure you know what an Imam is, if your solution is for them to denounce Islam.

It sounds like from a common citizen point of view the people around him did what they could. It's difficult because as publicised as terrorist attacks are, authorities can't just arrest and detain someone for flying a flag or some other citizen claiming they're interested in extremist activities.

Solutions like what you're proposing are reminicient of McCarthyism, which history looks back pretty poorly on. As much as not knowing might feel scary, it's important to maintain freedom of speech and religion (this, coming from someone who felt the negatives of both quite often growing up).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #283
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting article.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...3c5a237b74a1ce
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #284
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm not sure you know what an Imam is, if your solution is for them to denounce Islam.
I'm thinking.

Iman = minister or worship leader of church/mosque.

Is an Iman put there to brainwash in the name of Islam?

Apology's but if Islam can't denounce 72 virgins in paradise then that is one very stupid religion and even stupider followers that believe it.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #285
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thinking.

Iman = minister or worship leader of church/mosque.

Is an Iman put there to brainwash in the name of Islam?

Apology's but if Islam can't denounce 72 virgins in paradise then that is one very stupid religion and even stupider followers that believe it.
Here's a good place to start if you want to know more about Iman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iman_(model)

Not sure if this is who you are trying to insult. Either way, you should probably do some research on the target of your ire.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #286
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Reporting a British citizen for radical behavior will only get a look under the law, how about his Iman stand up and denounce such rubbish as paradise and those 72 virgins promised are really 72 raisins? and again, they're rubbish as well.
Do you hold that standard for all religions? Essentially you are proposing that Catholics priest quit discussing heaven or Jesus saving people. Your proposal is effectively to have all religious leaders denounce their religion. That's not going to happen.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #287
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you hold that standard for all religions? Essentially you are proposing that Catholics priest quit discussing heaven or Jesus saving people. Your proposal is effectively to have all religious leaders denounce their religion. That's not going to happen.
No, he's likely thinking just Islam.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #288
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong but there's really nothing in the Koran that states there's 72 virgins in paradise, I think it's actually 72 raisins or some sort of crop seeds.

And does it say in the Koran if you kill yourself and the innocent you get to go to paradise?

I fail to see why an Iman couldn't denounce this bs and still keep the faith.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #289
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong but there's really nothing in the Koran that states there's 72 virgins in paradise, I think it's actually 72 raisins or some sort of crop seeds.

And does it say in the Koran if you kill yourself and the innocent you get to go to paradise?

Why should he denounce these things? It has nothing to do with his religion, as you are pointing out.

I'm seriously trying to understand where you are coming from, but it appears to me you are putting a higher burden on the imam. Because he's Muslim.

If some skinhead kills someone this weekend, and he had a nazi logo on his shoulder, is it 2017 Germany's fault because they didn't run out the day before to remind everyone that racism is bad?

They reported the guy, and your first comment is that it's not enough, but not that the authorities didn't do enough with that report?

Last edited by Flames in 07; 05-28-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #290
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you a scholar of Islam? No. You're not even Muslim. So telling Muslims what their doctrines should be, what the mythology of the faith should be, what they should preach, is utterly ridiculous. Non-Muslims should (and will) never be the arbiters of what the "true" Islam is. An Imam can preach whatever religious nonsense or "metaphor" he likes, and it's not incumbent upon him to "denounce" anyone. In fact, if he banned Abedi from the mosque and reported him to the authorities, it was the authorities who dropped the ball.

Of course, it's never that simple, given that this particular mosque has a history of hosting extremist anti-semitic and openly misogynist preachers and individuals linked to Al Qaeda groups. It's that sort of rhetoric, that sort of activity, that is the problem that needs to be addressed here and challenged by the Muslim community itself.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #291
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It's imam.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #292
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Why should he denounce these things? It has nothing to do with his religion, as you are pointing out.
Jesus Chris! why? because idiot terror groups like ISIS and al qaeda are preaching those things as recruitment tools that's why!

Why is it every time someone mentions that a Muslim leader should denounce rubbish like martyrdom, 72 virgins and sharia law the same forum members here start stomping their feet?

If these and many more stupid ideas spreading threw Islam are part of the religion then Islam needs an enema, if they're not part of Islam then a leader/iman should stand up proud and denounce the idea's not just the act.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #293
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus Chris! why? because idiot terror groups like ISIS and al qaeda are preaching those things as recruitment tools that's why!

Why is it every time someone mentions that a Muslim leader should denounce rubbish like martyrdom, 72 virgins and sharia law the same forum members here start stomping their feet?

If these and many more stupid ideas spreading threw Islam are part of the religion then Islam needs an enema, if they're not part of Islam then a leader/iman should stand up proud and denounce the idea's not just the act.
It's not spreading through Islam. That's why this topic is hard for you. Terrorism and Islam are different things.

For all you know, he is or has. Your just mad at the Islam religion in general and your way of dealing with it is blaming the religion and it's leaders.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #294
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The recent event in Portland illustrates what denoucement should look like. Two people died because they were willing to risk their lives to prevent extremism, murder, injustice, and mayhem from unfolding. This is liberalism in action, and it is what is missing from a solid minority of the Muslim community.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #295
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Terrorism and Islam are different things.
But yet, there's only one group of people on the planet right now strapping bombs to themselves and murdering masses of innocent people.

Sure pal, keep telling yourself that Islam isn't the problem.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #296
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not spreading through Islam. That's why this topic is hard for you. Terrorism and Islam are different things.

For all you know, he is or has. Your just mad at the Islam religion in general and your way of dealing with it is blaming the religion and it's leaders.
Sure, but pretty hard to ignore the significant Venn overlap between the two groups. That's just blindness.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #297
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
But yet, there's only one group of people on the planet right now strapping bombs to themselves and murdering masses of innocent people.

Sure pal, keep telling yourself that Islam isn't the problem.
Ok pal I will. And by the way it's not the only group killing people.

I trust, that to be consistent with this way of thinking you go way out of your way to find a microphone and denounce whatever was behind whatever murder in Calgary when the person who did it is within your race or religion?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #298
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I may be shamed for falling what might just be trolling, but if you want your opinions taken even remotely seriously, the word you have been struggling with is:

Imam

If I started bitching about the Catholics and what the "Preasts" are doing, I'd look like an idiot no matter what I was saying.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #299
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I may be shamed for falling what might just be trolling, but if you want your opinions taken even remotely seriously, the word you have been struggling with is:

Imam

If I started bitching about the Catholics and what the "Preasts" are doing, I'd look like an idiot no matter what I was saying.
In the words of Archie Bunker - whatever!
Old 05-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #300
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

Imam

This is great.