Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default CP running thread

Running is awesome for so many reasons.

It can be as simple or complex as you want to make. As simple as a inexpensive pair of running shoes, socks, and some clothes depending on the season. Or you can get the latest and greatest running shoes, GPS watch, HRM, technical fabrics, lactate and VO2 max testing, coaching, dieticians, etc.

Running can be life changing. Couch to 5k programs have been the start of big life changes for many.

If youre past just finishing a race, then its awesome setting a goal and working towards a PB.

I love endurance sports, not just running. Theyre great for so many reasons. Did I say that running is awesome.

What races are you doing?
What training programs are you following?
Anyone run with a club?
Favorite routes to run in Calgary?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Counterpoint. Running sucks. I do it, but it has to be the least enjoyable way to get exercise. I can't think of any sports less enjoyable than running.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Counterpoint. Running sucks. I do it, but it has to be the least enjoyable way to get exercise. I can't think of any sports less enjoyable than running.
Why dont you enjoy it?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Running is fantastic meditation. You get to the point where the body numbs out the pain and you are left in a meditative trance where the world floats by you. A way to truly experience the nature around you.

I quit entering races quite a while ago and don't run with a watch anymore. Far more enjoyable as an activity than a mechanical goal oriented task.

I'm looking at doing the Sawback Trail in Banff this year as a goal run

If you don't enjoy running why bother doing it? You can get most of the health benefit from HIIT.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Running seems to be like cilantro...you're pre-determined to either like it or hate it.

Personally, I find it to be torturous.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't there lots of evidence that long endurance events and training isn't really that good for you? HIIT training seems like a better way to go all around. I ran on an NCAA div 1 cross country team in the mid '90's and training methods have changed so much. I can't imagine plodding on for hours every week now. It's totally counterproductive in so many ways. Anecdotally I feel way better, stronger, faster and healthier doing 12 minutes a day a few times a week.

Props to that Kenyan though who just ran a marathon in 2:00.24. That's like 26 four and a half minute miles. That's a two hour sprint. It's unfathomable. Sub two hours will be an awesome achievement.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Why dont you enjoy it?
Mostly becuase its boring, but usually when I'm running I think "I'd rather be on a bike". Trail running is much better, but there isn't much of it out my back door. I'd probably enjoy running more if I lived in the mountains.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do a little bit of running - 5-10 km at a time.

I have friends who do adventure running. They run up multiple mountains a day, or traverse 40-50 km ridges. Partaking in races like the Death Race and Sinister 7 (along with spartan races all over the USA and Canada).

They are crazy!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm one of those who hate it and don't understand the enjoyment some people get from it. For me, as soon as I start running my mind turns to figuring out how much longer it is going to take, what my pace is, what % of the run is completed an how much there is left. All negative thoughts that tend to drag me down and make the activity very much a miserable way to get excercise.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Running saved my life. I went from 215 lbs to 155 lbs.

I recommend all to do it if they can.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Trail running is the bees knees. Running on pavement is ok, but a big step down from a nice treed or mountainous trail. A treadmill is basically time spent wondering wtf is wrong with me for getting on a treadmill in the first place.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Trail running is the bees knees. Running on pavement is ok, but a big step down from a nice treed or mountainous trail. A treadmill is basically time spent wondering wtf is wrong with me for getting on a treadmill in the first place.
I agree. I like going out to Bragg or Kananaskas for a run. Feels great.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Running is fantastic meditation. You get to the point where the body numbs out the pain and you are left in a meditative trance where the world floats by you. A way to truly experience the nature around you.

I quit entering races quite a while ago and don't run with a watch anymore. Far more enjoyable as an activity than a mechanical goal oriented task.

I'm looking at doing the Sawback Trail in Banff this year as a goal run

If you don't enjoy running why bother doing it? You can get most of the health benefit from HIIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm one of those who hate it and don't understand the enjoyment some people get from it. For me, as soon as I start running my mind turns to figuring out how much longer it is going to take, what my pace is, what % of the run is completed an how much there is left. All negative thoughts that tend to drag me down and make the activity very much a miserable way to get excercise.

I want to be GGG, but my attitude always gravitates towards Lubicon. I've run in chunks usually lasting 2-3 months each time, and I don't feel like I ever managed to get what many refer to as a "runners high". Sure, I've had my body kick in and kill the pain, but beyond that I wouldn't say I hit any level of enjoyment. Perhaps I just never did it long enough, or didn't have the right attitude towards it.

I always used the old adage "I hate running, but I love having run." Unfortunately the latter is outweighed by the former for me. Feels great when I'm done, but as soon as it's time for another run I'd rather do literally anything else. Work. Murder. Anything.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I only find it torturous for the first 5 of minutes of a run and wonder why the hell I am doing this again, and then after everything is fine.

No particular favourite runs, just ones that are convenient. I hop on the bus after work and get myself dropped off somewhere close to 10km away from home and start my run from there. Fridays I try to go a bit longer and go from downtown along the Bow River pathway and then up the Nose Creek pathway and through Confluence Park, etc. I run 4 days a week.

I used to just use my phone to track GPS, but I picked up a second-hand Polar M200 watch for $90 with a an optical HRM and that has been nice. I don't know what to do with the HRM information. It pretty much tells me what I expect. When I am stuck at a traffic light my HR goes down, when I am climbing a hill my HR goes up. I have seen it trend down though over the last few weeks. I used to peak at around 180 on some hills, and now its more in the 160 area. I guess that's good. My pace is about 5min/km.

Hate trail running or non-solid, uneven surfaces. Dry pavement is my favourite.

Have never done an organized run of any kind. Just myself, or one other person. I have been thinking of signing up for the Melissa's Road Race in Banff in September.

Is anybody interested in starting / joining a Strava CP running group?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an aside, I was looking at some of the runs that the guys who are high up on the list for the "Everest" challenge, and I am amazed how they can keep a decent pace while almost running a marathon up some very steep incline. I thought my runs in the north were hilly.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have always biked and ran since the days of jogging. I used to be 90% running and 10% biking split and would get injured from time to time. Now I am 90% biking / 10% running and never get injured. I enjoy both though and need the variety and working different muscle groups.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Running seems to be like cilantro...you're pre-determined to either like it or hate it.

Personally, I find it to be torturous.
Running is one of those things that nobody is indifferent to - you either love it or hate it.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Personally, I only find it torturous for the first 5 of minutes of a run and wonder why the hell I am doing this again, and then after everything is fine.
Me too, so I just start my runs at the 5-minute mark now.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've tried running a few times but I would always get really bad shin splints. I also got a hairline fracture at one point. I'm clearly doing it wrong.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote