Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #41
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Whatever reason, it's just one of those long lasting sports series that keeps its momentum. If you haven't already, Eyeshield 21 is another classic about American football.
I completely forgot about Eyeshield. I've heard good things about it though.

Anyway for us Attack on Titan fans, caught this on Kotaku today.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #42
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Space Brothers has been a weekly watch for me since it started two years ago. It gets a bit draggy at times, but still a fantastic watch for me. I like the fact that they actually portray NASA and JAXA realistically in the show.

Another one I'm watching right now is Log Horizon. It's far superior to Sword Art Online, which I thought was absolute crap.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Really? I kind of liked SAO, had some charm. Lol I just looked and Log Horizon is in my Crunchyroll queue already. Some day my queue will actually go down in size.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #44
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Space Brothers has been a weekly watch for me since it started two years ago. It gets a bit draggy at times, but still a fantastic watch for me. I like the fact that they actually portray NASA and JAXA realistically in the show.

Another one I'm watching right now is Log Horizon. It's far superior to Sword Art Online, which I thought was absolute crap.
I liked SAO myself. I liked the dark story. I get that people were weirded out by the sister thing though.

Still not too sure what to think of Log Horizon though, it just seems too happy / unrealistic of what would actually happen in that situation. There should be more soul crushing depression.

Also, checking out the wiki page, it says it is only going 25 episodes, however, the progression has felt so slow. I would be extremely disappointed if it ended at 25 or didn't end up having a season 2.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #45
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

I lost interest by episode 50-something. Liked the underdog story but once I caught up, having nothing to really look forward to week after week makes it hard to come back to after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Really? I kind of liked SAO, had some charm. Lol I just looked and Log Horizon is in my Crunchyroll queue already. Some day my queue will actually go down in size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I liked SAO myself. I liked the dark story. I get that people were weirded out by the sister thing though.

Still not too sure what to think of Log Horizon though, it just seems too happy / unrealistic of what would actually happen in that situation. There should be more soul crushing depression.

Also, checking out the wiki page, it says it is only going 25 episodes, however, the progression has felt so slow. I would be extremely disappointed if it ended at 25 or didn't end up having a season 2.
SAO had a decent premise and start. Could have been really dark but the light novel didn't go in that direction...and the infamous second season's arc went downhill when Mr. Perfect had to rescue Ms Perfect as the damsel in distress.

Log Horizon looks to be more about the gameplay as part of the setting though there's a little more lightheartedness than I would have also liked.

On a side note, I sometimes don't know why I continue to watch Golden Time.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just finished Attack on Titan. Can't say enough good things about it. Can't wait for season 2. Now to watch Cowboy Beebop.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #47
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is a really vague question, but I might as well ask it. About 10 years ago I downloaded Stand Alone Complex, as a dub, but the dub was really good. It wasn't the same one that you get when you buy the DVD's. It was a better translation and the voice acting seemed less cheesy than the purchasable version. Does anyone know of different dub versions for this show?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #48
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Just reading some of the reviews for Bebop, apparently the dubbed is better than the original Japanese version.

But if you ever watch Needless, they left out probably half the jokes in the dubbed version. Lots of comedy ones get lost in translation. Mostly action ones are probably fine.
Cowboy Bebop has some fantastic English voice acting. It's one of the few anime shows I prefer watching dubbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Now to watch Cowboy Beebop.
I mentioned it before, but it's easily my favorite anime. The movie fits in between episodes 22 and 23. Once you're done with Cowboy Bebop (if you enjoyed it), go watch Samurai Shamploo.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #49
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I binge watched the entire first season of Attack on Titan... It was fantastic. I'm finding myself very interested in Anime after wetting my feet with two awesome series (Trigun, Attack on Titan)

Can anyone recommend more Anime series' that would cater to a guy who enjoyed these two?

I did a quick search on top Anime series, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop seem to show up more often than not... I'm off to watch!
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #50
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of episodic anime, I easily prefer long story arcs that are the main focus.

I quite enjoyed Death Note and Code Geass for that...really enjoyed Attack on Titan as well.

A shout out for Legend of the Galactic Heroes as well. I didn't quite finish it but I came close...didn't pick it up again after a sad part near the end, but it was very good up to that point.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #51
photon

Exp:

Kill La Kill is done, I can't remember an anime that had so many crazy and shocking moments in such a short space. It's not actually unpredictable, the plot can be predictable, but how they go about makes the show.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #52
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Cowboy Bebop has some fantastic English voice acting. It's one of the few anime shows I prefer watching dubbed.

I mentioned it before, but it's easily my favorite anime. The movie fits in between episodes 22 and 23. Once you're done with Cowboy Bebop (if you enjoyed it), go watch Samurai Shamploo.
Samurai Champloo was pretty cool. The guy who plays Mugen does Zoro's voice on One Piece. But I didn't like it nearly as much as Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
I binge watched the entire first season of Attack on Titan... It was fantastic. I'm finding myself very interested in Anime after wetting my feet with two awesome series (Trigun, Attack on Titan)

Can anyone recommend more Anime series' that would cater to a guy who enjoyed these two?

I did a quick search on top Anime series, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop seem to show up more often than not... I'm off to watch!
It's not on Netflix, but I think you'd really like Claymore if you liked Titan and Trigun.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #53
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Kill La Kill is done, I can't remember an anime that had so many crazy and shocking moments in such a short space. It's not actually unpredictable, the plot can be predictable, but how they go about makes the show.
Space Dandy is pretty random and crazy too. Maybe not shocking though.

Finally got around to watching Psycho Pass, it reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell Stand Along Complex.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #54
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Samurai Champloo was pretty cool. The guy who plays Mugen does Zoro's voice on One Piece. But I didn't like it nearly as much as Cowboy Bebop.

It's not on Netflix, but I think you'd really like Claymore if you liked Titan and Trigun.
He's also the same guy that voices Spike in Cowboy Bebop.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #55
photon

Exp:

Spring anime guide:

http://kotaku.com/your-complete-spri...ide-1560641956

Glad to see Dragon Ball Z Kai continuing with the Majin Buu Saga.

Will check out Soul Eater Not!, Soul Eater was great but this looks kind of odd, we'll see.

EDIT: Hm, anyone know a group doing fansubs for DBZ Kai? I can't find any.

EDIT: Looks like a group called Baaro is doing it, yay.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #56
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I just finished watching Sword Art Online. It was pretty good, except things get pretty weird.

Spoiler!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #57
photon

Exp:

Here's a few Crunchyroll 48 hour guest passes. Post if you use them.

Y39KVTRLVB7
YG6PLTH7NAB
HHF7787PH3F
Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #58
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear god.

For all your schlubs who haven't watched Rick And Morty yet,

GO WATCH RICK AND MORTY

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/

All eps are up online for freeeeeeeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #59
photon

Exp:

I completely forgot about it, so finally watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Rebellion tonight.

Top notch quality of course, amazing animation, sound, voice acting, music, colour... it's all there. Too bad it's just like every other damn sequel out there where the creators abandoned what made their creation great in order to... well I don't know, make money, please the fans, who knows.

The movie abandons the masterful pacing and tight story telling that the original series and wastes it on cutsey transformation sequences, meaningless songs, and pointless battles (oh god amazing battles, but still pointless so ultimately emotionless). It gets caught up in its on mythos to the point that the last 20 minutes is trying so hard to get metaphysical that it abandons its characters entirely and re-makes them to fit. It's almost like someone told the writers "This is great, but we need 20 more minutes, write something that'll require us to make another one."

I don't want to get to specific, so the rest is spoilered.

Spoiler!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #60
photon

Exp:

Korra's back!