Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #561
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

We run our own in house enterprise ISP, and we buy bandwidth from Bell, Manitoba Hydro and others and it is by far not our biggest cost to running the network anymore.

In fact, because prices have come down so much, we are investing in our own fiber backbone. I'd imagine a lot of ISPs are starting to look at the same thing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #562
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been getting Shaw go hot-spot data free using the Freedom Wi-Fi app. It's apparently not going to be free forever but I'm taking advantage. I don't lose Freedom signal often but the free Wi-Fi at 25x the speed of Wind data is great.

I also got an email that the new LTE plan for existing Alberta customers is $45 lifetime. Need to sign up from the account area of Wind page. I don't have a band 66 LTE phone so it's not worth giving up my $35 HMP from 7 years ago!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #563
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
I also got an email that the new LTE plan for existing Alberta customers is $45 lifetime. Need to sign up from the account area of Wind page. I don't have a band 66 LTE phone so it's not worth giving up my $35 HMP from 7 years ago!
I wonder what they are going to do to get those of us off our legacy plans. I like that 6GB deal, but I am not dropping $$$$ on a new phone right now.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #564
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well I'd imagine in order to get on their LTE network you will have to sign up for a new plan.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #565
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am also going to have to do some interesting research on the plans myself. I have a coupon code from a friend who's a higher up at Shaw. Gives me 35% off the price of the plans so the offer is legit.

I want to know how it will work with the remaining tab balance I have which is over in 6 months and what the device discount is? Currently with my $40 plan I get the unlimited data from back in 2012 but I don't come anywhere near using a lot of data.

I am a Blackberry fan and looking to potentially upgrade to the new KEYone Android phone which looks amazing. The issue is that it wasn't designed for the new band 66 for Freedom LTE. In some essence I would be paying for an LTE plan without getting it but I want to research what I will actually lose.

In any event I hope that Shaw/Freedom continues to improve and grow this brand across the country. I know that a lot of the negative thoughts people have on this company date to when they launched in 2008/2009. I hear things like "ohh but you can't get coverage in Banff" all the time which is not true at all.

I laugh when I hear things from friends of mine who are clueless. A friend of mine who trashes Freedom all the time told me how with Rogers him and his wife pay $120 EACH, he wanted to upgrade his iPhone from the 6+ to the 7 for the "better camera". Rogers offer was to pay $600 for the phone and than tack on an extra $35 a month for the next 2 years. Some "deal"
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #566
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The iPhone hasn't notably improved in three years, and won't again unless Apple finally decides to start thinking different again. Their obsession with proprietary everything and forced adapters is going to kill them at this rate.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #567
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Well I took the plunge and switched over yesterday. No issues thus far with reception, but I'm generally only ever in the deep SE, deep NW or at home in the NE/SE. I'll be saving over $20 a month on my current bill and now I get unlimited calling to the US which will help 6 months of the year.
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #568
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Ill probably drop it when i move back to Vancouver and get a family plan with the GF to many areas in the lower mainland were dead spots and I found it really annoying.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #569
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yea I have no plans of giving up my legacy plan

Freedom 39
$39/mo.
Activation Date: Dec 23, 2010

Unlimited Data (5GB full speed allotment)
Unlimited Canada-wide Picture /Video Messaging
Unlimited US-wide Picture / Video Messaging
Unlimited Canada-wide Texting
Unlimited Canada-wide Calling
Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees or Activation Fees
Use your features anywhere on our network
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #570
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking at maybe getting my kid a cell phone plan, looks like Freedom mobile is the best bet? He doesn't need a lot of data (going to lock things down), but $40 for 4GB and unlimited talk and text seems like a pretty decent deal.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #571
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

Freedom 39
$39/mo.

Unlimited US Roaming
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
That is a great plan but the 5GB full speed allotment is painful. There is no reason that number can't be higher. The networks aren't as congested as the carriers say they are.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #572
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Looking at maybe getting my kid a cell phone plan, looks like Freedom mobile is the best bet? He doesn't need a lot of data (going to lock things down), but $40 for 4GB and unlimited talk and text seems like a pretty decent deal.
I would say it may depend on where you live. We are on the edge of Calgary and coverage is hit and miss from street to street in our neighborhood (Tuscany). If you live in a more established/central area you would probably have more consistent coverage.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #573
photon

Exp:

We're out in Chestermere, their map shows coverage, but it is right at the edge of their home network, I guess I should try and find out what people's experience is. I do recall seeing a tower going up a few months ago that people on Facebook thought was a Freedom tower.

EDIT: Public Mobile might be a better option, they have 90 day contracts, so can get unlimited in province calling, texts and 3GB data (for the 90 days) for $111, which is $37 a month or so.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #574
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Photon- another option is to use Koodo and get the $48 Sask plan. For the sake of about $10 more than Freedom you do get the full Telus network.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #575
photon

Exp:

Public Mobile looks like it uses the Telus network as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #576
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I switched from Public Mobile $120/12GB over three months plan back to Freedom. Network was absolutely great while I was on it but I could not justify the $15/mo price difference for what was essentially the same plan from Freedom on the friends/family plan.

Freedom had been fine for me previously, even before the upgrades to LTE, so I switched back.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #577
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

Freedom 39
$39/mo.

Unlimited US Roaming
I have the same plan, having signed on with Wind early on.

I must say though, I'm pretty annoyed that there is no 'bump up' to the LTE network.

Although the service (as documented in previous posts in this thread) has been pretty darn good, there have certainly been sacrifices in speed and connectivity, with Wind's messaging being "Hang in there folks, we're building a great network for you!".

Now we get to the LTE days (finally) only to find that existing customers need to change to inferior and/or more expensive plans in order to take advantage of the network they helped fund/build.

First World Problem for sure, but it's a pretty big slap in the face.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #578
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I have the same plan, having signed on with Wind early on.

I must say though, I'm pretty annoyed that there is no 'bump up' to the LTE network.

Although the service (as documented in previous posts in this thread) has been pretty darn good, there have certainly been sacrifices in speed and connectivity, with Wind's messaging being "Hang in there folks, we're building a great network for you!".

Now we get to the LTE days (finally) only to find that existing customers need to change to inferior and/or more expensive plans in order to take advantage of the network they helped fund/build.

First World Problem for sure, but it's a pretty big slap in the face.
100% agree. Been with them since 2010. Pretty much ZERO perks I've gotten. At least adopters before I did got free Nexus 6's.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #579
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what I was trying to get at before but you guys English more betterer than I can.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #580
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Still no resolution to my issue of not being able to get on the LTE network with my Moto G5 Plus. Tech support said that there shouldn't be an issue with my phone and they aren't whitelisting their own devices.

Turns out I can get a BYOD $44 Telus plan w/ 3 gigs of data through work. I do work in a concrete box, so Wind reception is sometimes questionable. Planning on making the switch next week if I don't get a resolution.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote