Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #181
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Yeah I've read so many reviews and watched so many videos in the past couple of days. Still torn. Now you want me to consider other Garmin devices??!! My main concern is GPS distance accuracy. It has to do that perfectly or as close to perfect as possible.
I use a Garmin 235 that I’ve liked a lot. This is a pretty commonly used watch for runners. Pretty accurate I find and the wrist heart rate monitor hasn’t surprised me with anything weird.

However, a GPS is never going to be 100% accurate, no matter how much money you throw at it. Two people running together might have their distances measured differently by two different devices. Or you might run a route two different days and have slightly different readings - something about satellites shifting.

An official official race course measurement is typically done with a calibrated bike. The bike has a device that not only measures distance but also air pressure changes as it goes up and down hills as an example.

I think a certified half marathon course would be accurate within 20 feet over a 21.1 KM distance. That’s just not going to happen with a GPS device.

But you do want something more accurate and consistent than the one you’re dumping.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #182
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

Some GPS watches also might not account for any elevation changes along your route. For example if you’re checking your route on a map, it might look like 10km on the flat 2D map, but if you have a lot of hills along it, you could have run a bit more. I know that my runs showed a little lower distance on the watch, but once I uploaded it online, it was able to adjust it to the elevation profiles on the online maps. A practical application of Pythagoras Theorem. If the watch has a barometer it would do that, if not you wouldn’t see it until uploading the run to Strava or whatever.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #183
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, I am not looking for accuracy down to the metre, but when mine is off by over half a KM on an 8k run I am pretty unhappy.

I am sort of torn between now looking at something with a bit more smart-watch features, but my main focus is the fitness aspect. I will have to look into this footpod thing too. I am pretty new to all of this.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #184
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Some GPS watches also might not account for any elevation changes along your route. For example if you’re checking your route on a map, it might look like 10km on the flat 2D map, but if you have a lot of hills along it, you could have run a bit more. I know that my runs showed a little lower distance on the watch, but once I uploaded it online, it was able to adjust it to the elevation profiles on the online maps. A practical application of Pythagoras Theorem. If the watch has a barometer it would do that, if not you wouldn’t see it until uploading the run to Strava or whatever.
So when you do your runs and then upload them to adjust for elevation, is there a particular program you use? Or is it just an app that is for your watch itself?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #185
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post

Last edited by Wormius; 03-03-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #186
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So when you do your runs and then upload them to adjust for elevation, is there a particular program you use? Or is it just an app that is for your watch itself?

There is an app for the Polar watch (Polar Flow), I have that linked to Strava. I don’t know if it does any adjustments for different grades, I have just noticed the distance on my watch is a little lower, than the distance the apps show once I have uploaded it. But, that said my watch is pretty much the most basic there is so it wouldn’t surprise me if it needed the extra horse power of the app or website.

If you are interested in the Garmin foot pods or heart rate straps, I have a set that didn’t get used much. My wife got gung-ho, but then the watch crapped out, and she lost interest. I have never been *that* interested in being that accurate and I dislike the extra chores to fo through before a run. I kind of like to just get off put on my shoes and go.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #187
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I'm not mistaken, the garmin watches automatically take elevation into account. You can track your elevation change as you ran on the website afterwards.

I have an old garmin 210. The distance of my usual runs is the same every single time. All the races I've run have been accurate within a few hundred meters (ie over a half marathon). The only problem with this old watch is once in awhile it will drop GPS. It's also super annoying to connect to a computer (the cable connection takes several tries every damn time)

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #188
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a Samsung Gear Sport and a Fitbit Ionic this weekend and will return them both of they're crap. Still have my eye on a Garmin model. I'm shamelessly using best buy as a try before you buy option.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #189
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Bought a Samsung Gear Sport and a Fitbit Ionic this weekend and will return them both of they're crap. Still have my eye on a Garmin model. I'm shamelessly using best buy as a try before you buy option.
My Garmin 235 with wrist heart rate monitor bluetooths my stats to a Garmin app on my phone and iPad.

The watch also auto updates via wifi/Bluetooth. No plugging into computer.

You can, however, use an app on your computer if that’s your thing.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #190
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've had HORRIBLE luck with Garmins over the years. Lucky to get 1 year out of them before they die. Battery life is never good. Going to go for a Suunto next time I need to buy my wife one. Which will be in the next few weeks now that I think about it...
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #191
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I've had HORRIBLE luck with Garmins over the years. Lucky to get 1 year out of them before they die. Battery life is never good. Going to go for a Suunto next time I need to buy my wife one. Which will be in the next few weeks now that I think about it...
Yeah, I have only had one and the touchscreen died on it. This particular watch was pretty much useless without the touchscreen working. Garmin offered a refurb that would have cost almost as much as the original.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #192
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been back in the running game for the last couple of months. The hardest thing is not pushing myself too hard. I've got great cardio fitness, but my body is weak. My right knee has a lot of scar tissue for a shinny injury. So I really have to ease into running. I use to just run every morning, and then after about two weeks the pain in my knee was too bad and I'd have to quit. Now I'm trying three runs a week and weights three times a week to build strength. Two of my runs are intervals and one is distance. I just hit 10k for my distance run on Saturday and now my knee is starting to swell. It's not too bad, but I know I can't push it too hard if I want to keep going. The hardest part is knowing my lungs and heart can push so much more if my body could carry me.

I'm hoping to run my first 10k race on Mother's Day. I ran 10K in 60 minutes on Saturday with lots left in the tank. My goal is to be under 50 minutes on race day.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #193
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone following the Barkley Marathons this weekend? Canadian Gary Robbins is one of the three runners who was able to start lap 3. Conditions were extra brutal yesterday, so odds of a finisher this year are low.

I rewatched ‘Where Dreams Go to Die’ last night, which is the movie about Gary’s first two attempts. Highly recommended! Barkley Marathons, the Race That Eats it’s Young is also on Netflix and is also recommended.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #194
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Good job on CityTV this morning Cow.

Cinnamon bun race? Unique if nothing else.

Also had never heard of a marathon relay either...but i don't run so it may be common.

As for the Millarville riding arena, does insurance cover that kind of thing? Will there be fundraisers? I know someone who made a good part of their living teaching riding out of there and would like to know what, if anything, the public can do to help.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #195
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Anyone following the Barkley Marathons this weekend? Canadian Gary Robbins is one of the three runners who was able to start lap 3. Conditions were extra brutal yesterday, so odds of a finisher this year are low.

I rewatched ‘Where Dreams Go to Die’ last night, which is the movie about Gary’s first two attempts. Highly recommended! Barkley Marathons, the Race That Eats it’s Young is also on Netflix and is also recommended.
I've been following it a bit this morning. Where do you go for updates? I've been following this page:

https://runningmagazine.ca/2018-bark...thons-updates/

Haven't found anything more official.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #196
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
I've been following it a bit this morning. Where do you go for updates? I've been following this page:

https://runningmagazine.ca/2018-bark...thons-updates/

Haven't found anything more official.
There isn't a lot. The hashtag #BM100 on twitter is best I guess. Some of the crews update on there, and also the 'official' tweets are on there.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #197
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The documentary on that event is so good.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #198
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have suggestions for plantar fasciitis? I have been running for years and years and finally had this problem in my right foot develop about six months ago. The pain is very bearable when I run, but after resting for a while it can become excruciating. I backed off distances for about a month which fooled me into thinking it was better. I upped my mileage again and it is back with a vengeance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #199
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Anyone have suggestions for plantar fasciitis? I have been running for years and years and finally had this problem in my right foot develop about six months ago. The pain is very bearable when I run, but after resting for a while it can become excruciating. I backed off distances for about a month which fooled me into thinking it was better. I upped my mileage again and it is back with a vengeance.
Strassburg Sock
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #200
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I have been back in the running game for the last couple of months. The hardest thing is not pushing myself too hard. I've got great cardio fitness, but my body is weak. My right knee has a lot of scar tissue for a shinny injury. So I really have to ease into running. I use to just run every morning, and then after about two weeks the pain in my knee was too bad and I'd have to quit. Now I'm trying three runs a week and weights three times a week to build strength. Two of my runs are intervals and one is distance. I just hit 10k for my distance run on Saturday and now my knee is starting to swell. It's not too bad, but I know I can't push it too hard if I want to keep going. The hardest part is knowing my lungs and heart can push so much more if my body could carry me.

I'm hoping to run my first 10k race on Mother's Day. I ran 10K in 60 minutes on Saturday with lots left in the tank. My goal is to be under 50 minutes on race day.
Make sure your shoes still have life left in them. I dont have any particular knee issue but when the mileage on a pair of shoes starts to get up there, I can feel it in my knees.

Also, I know that a lot of people with knee issues rave about Hokas letting them run pain free. Might be worth checking it out. www.hokaoneone.com
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote