Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Pronger's wife is kind of an exception I think.

She has more money than him. I think most hockey wives would realize how lucky they are to be with an NHL player, and will suck it up if he feels like a cold weather city is the best option.
I assume you have never been married. Also in regards to Pronger's wife being an exception maybe you have a short memory but Michael Nylander pulled out of his deal with Edmonton because his wife didn't want to live there. This happens more than you seem to think it does as wives have a say where they live regardless of how much their husbands make as that's why players fight to get NMC's.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-08-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

She has more money than him. I think most hockey wives would realize how lucky they are to be with an NHL player, and will suck it up if he feels like a cold weather city is the best option.
Yeah, they will "suck it up". But surely they have input, and we are talking about situations where there is a choice controlled by the player. UFAs and guys with modified NTCs and NMCs.

You don't think Stone's wife will be a big influence on him re-signing here?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #43
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think most hockey wives would realize how lucky they are to be with an NHL player, and will suck it up if he feels like a cold weather city is the best option.
This isn't 1985 anymore. NHL players aren't marrying their high school sweethearts, and hockey wives come into marriages with different experiences and different expectations - especially around children and family support.

If the money offered by two teams is roughly the same, you can bet the spouse will have a say in which they move to. Maybe the player will get his way and sign with the team that gives him the best chance of winning. Maybe his wife convinces him that having grandparents handy to help her with the kids while he's on the road half the year is more important to the family. That's how marriages work.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #44
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This isn't 1985 anymore. NHL players aren't marrying their high school sweethearts, and hockey wives come into marriages with different experiences and different expectations - especially around children and family support.

If the money offered by two teams is roughly the same, you can bet the spouse will have a say in which they move to. Maybe the player will get his way and sign with the team that gives him the best chance of winning. Maybe his wife convinces him that having grandparents handy to help her with the kids while he's on the road half the year is more important to the family. That's how marriages work.
Sure. I understand there is give and take.

I'm just saying that if you marry someone who has a huge part of their identity locked up in a certain aspect of their life, one that also happens to set you both up for life, and you don't allow them to follow their dream for only 5-10 years max, knowing that you will have the rest of your life to pursue your own personal desires.......you're probably a pretty selfish person.

I'd like to think that most people are better individuals than that.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #45
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Didn't Luongo's wife and kids stay in Florida when he went to Vancouver? Big reason why he wanted to go back too.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #46
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Montreal, Toronto/Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver have some of the worst compensation after taxes in the NHL. They are ranked respectively 31st, 30th, 29th, 28th and Vancouver at 25th. If I was a hockey player, this would definitely play a factor in where I'd want to play and where I wouldn't.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #47
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Hey anyone who makes more money than your wife, try this argument next time you want something that she doesn't.

Please report back. You go first.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #48
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Hey anyone who makes more money than your wife anyone who has one shot to become a multimillionaire, but may have to live somewhere you don't like for a few years to do it, try this argument next time you want something that she doesn't.

Please report back. You go first.
Fixed that for you. Notice a difference?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #49
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. I understand there is give and take.

I'm just saying that if you marry someone who has a huge part of their identity locked up in a certain aspect of their life, one that also happens to set you both up for life, and you don't allow them to follow their dream for only 5-10 years max, knowing that you will have the rest of your life to pursue your own personal desires.......you're probably a pretty selfish person.

I'd like to think that most people are better individuals than that.
you have it wrong. the player (and you) are the selfish person in this case.

"honey, I know we agreed that Edmonton is on my no trade list, but you're selfish if you don't uproot the family, and come to a city you're going to be miserable in with no friends, and all alone while I play hockey. I'm making you rich, and this is my dream despite getting married to you."

shocked you're not suggesting he maybe give her the back of his hand to put that ho in her place.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #50
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you have it wrong. the player (and you) are the selfish person in this case.

"honey, I know we agreed that Edmonton is on my no trade list, but you're selfish if you don't uproot the family, and come to a city you're going to be miserable in with no friends, and all alone while I play hockey. I'm making you rich, and this is my dream despite getting married to you."

shocked you're not suggesting he maybe give her the back of his hand to put that ho in her place.
‘Honey, I know that playing professional hockey was your lifelong dream, going back many years before we ever met. I know you've finally made that dream come true, after decades of hard work, and the money you're making will reward you for that work and provide for us all when you can't do it anymore. But you're selfish if you don't give it all up right now, because Edmonton winters are icky.’
Old 06-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #51
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
‘Honey, I know that playing professional hockey was your lifelong dream, going back many years before we ever met. I know you've finally made that dream come true, after decades of hard work, and the money you're making will reward you for that work and provide for us all when you can't do it anymore. But you're selfish if you don't give it all up right now, because Edmonton winters are icky.’
I don't image hockey wives are asking their husbands to give up the NHL. They're just telling them they'd prefer to play in St. Louis, or Minnesota, or Washington instead of Edmonton (or Winnipeg, or Calgary). And it's more along the lines of:

You're getting 5.5 mil per year for four years whether you go to St. Louis or Edmonton. But if we choose St. Louis, my parents are only a 90 minute flight away, and they don't have to cross an international border. And since you're on the road half the year, I want my mom around lots to help with the baby.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #52
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't image hockey wives are asking their husbands to give up the NHL. They're just telling them they'd prefer to play in St. Louis, or Minnesota, or Washington instead of Edmonton (or Winnipeg, or Calgary). And it's more along the lines of:

You're getting 5.5 mil per year for four years whether you go to St. Louis or Edmonton. But if we choose St. Louis, my parents are only a 90 minute flight away, and they don't have to cross an international border. And since you're gone half the year, I want my mom around lots to help with the baby.
You're assuming that a player is going to receive exactly the same contract no matter which team he chooses to play for, and whether or not he also holds out for a no-trade clause. That's a mighty big assumption.

Last edited by Jay Random; 06-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #53
Hangman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
10 years is a lot of years to spend in -40 weather for months at a time when you're unaccustomed to it. You can suck it up or your husband can get traded to somewhere warm where he can still make millions.
Where is this mythical place that is -40 for months at a time and also has an NHL team?
Hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #54
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
Where is this mythical place that is -40 for months at a time and also has an NHL team?
Empty Igloo, Nunavut. The team has never played any games because no player will go there.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #55
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

What NHL player has had to retire because his wife didn't want to live somewhere? Rarely do the ones worth millions only have 1 option. And I'm sure the bottom end guys, who really do only have 1 shot, would have no issues with his wife about that. The only players this affects are players with multiple options.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #56
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed that for you. Notice a difference?
Not really.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #57
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Not really.
I shall remember, in future, that you are a person who cannot see obvious differences when it suits you not to see them.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #58
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Arizona is a nice place to live but they would be first on my no trade list, considering the uncertainty surrounding the team and the fact that they lose every season.
I see nothing wrong with this.

Yep, Goligoski must be pissed the Tempe deal fell apart. They pitched him last summer based on that plan.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #59
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I shall remember, in future, that you are a person who cannot see obvious differences when it suits you not to see them.
No, just someone who doesn't value a fat contract over my families desires.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #60
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
ESPN surveys the agents every year ($): http://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custa...r/post?id=9006

2016-17 with 2015-16 in brackets
1. Winnipeg (2)
2. Edmonton (1)
3. New York Islanders (3)
4. Arizona (N/A)
5. Florida (N/A)

Honourable mention: Buffalo, Colorado, Columbus (4), Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary

What happened to Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo?

I guess with one good season, everything can change. Winnipeg will make the playoffs next year, so they could move up from the bottom. Edmonton will continue to rise, as long as they are doing well. I can see Buffalo falling back into the bottom five, if they fail to do anything. The Islanders, with the fact that they may be homeless, could move them into the #1 spot. If Karmanos sells the Canes to a city outside the Carolinas (i.e. Quebec) that could move the team into the top 3. Ottawa will no doubt be back in the bottom five if they recede and miss the playoffs. Once ownership is stabilized, Arizona will be off the list.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote