Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #81
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok I think I understand this. The religious should accept transgenders for who they are and with respect but the religious should be chastised. Some people's differences are more important than other people's differences.

I think I see the problem.

How disappointing.

I'm done. I was hoping to find something different from people but I'm out.

Hate is hate. Love is love. I don't care about sugar coating your own side.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #82
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Ok I think I understand this. The religious should accept transgenders for who they are and with respect but the religious should be chastised. Some people's differences are more important than other people's differences.

I think I see the problem.

How disappointing.

I'm done. I was hoping to find something different from people but I'm out.

Hate is hate. Love is love. I don't care about sugar coating your own side.
Nope, you get it.

Bigots are no better than homophobes or racists. Hate is hate, plain and simple. But views are always up for discussion and criticism. An opinion is not equatable to the colour of one's skin.

I see the posts you're taking issue with, but surely they pale in comparison to the severity of the issue the OP brought up. I think we can agree.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #83
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Ok I think I understand this. The religious should accept transgenders for who they are and with respect but the religious should be chastised.
Only if they are bigoted (which incidentally may have nothing to do with religion in particular, there's bigoted people who aren't religions as well).

But I'm not sure it's clear what you mean; what chastisement exactly are you talking about? Being chastised for being intolerant?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #84
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Can we please keep religion out of our government and public institutions like public schools ??
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #85
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The distinction is between views and the people who hold them. People have rights and deserve dignity, regardless of what nonsense they believe. Ideas have and deserve none. Bad ideas, religious or otherwise, should be ruthlessly criticized and rejected.
So you believe people deserve dignity, but call them nonsensical?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #86
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Calling a belief or argument nonsensical doesn't have anything to with dignity. Nonsensical isn't personal. Singling out and holding down a minority of our population for something they were born with is taking away their dignity at best.

Ever since social media brought everyone into political/social discussions I notice people struggle with these distinctions more than anything out there. It's baffling to me how people can't see the difference between criticizing beliefs and opinions and criticizing and singling out groups of people for things they were born with.

I simply can't see how our society got to this point, how do so many struggle with simple distinctions and equate things that shouldn't be equated? If it was just a few people it would be one thing, but it seems society at large has really lost the plot, or I guess never had the proper understanding in the first place.

It's incredible.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-25-2017 at 08:48 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #87
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes? The context here is blind hatred directed at people, not an honest assessment that "your views are silly and don't reflect reality". It's not a call for sugar coating criticism, particularly given that ignorance becomes quite dangerous if unchallenged.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #88
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes? The context here is blind hatred directed at people, not an honest assessment that "your views are silly and don't reflect reality". It's not a call for sugar coating criticism, particularly given that ignorance becomes quite dangerous if unchallenged.
Blind hatred is a little strong. What do you think about the Islamic schools?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #89
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Calgary? I know nothing about them so I don't think anything one way or another.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #90
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Calling a belief or argument nonsensical doesn't have anything to with dignity. Nonsensical isn't personal. Singling out and holding down a minority of our population for something they were born with is taking away their dignity at best.

Ever since social media brought everyone into political/social discussions I notice people struggle with these distinctions more than anything out there. It's baffling to me how people can't see the difference between criticizing beliefs and opinions and criticizing and singling out groups of people for things they were born with.

I simply can't see how our society got to this point, how do so many struggle with simple distinctions and equate things that shouldn't be equated? If it was just a few people it would be one thing, but it seems society at large has really lost the plot, or I guess never had the proper understanding in the first place.

It's incredible.
You can't see how calling people stupid is insulting? Really? I get what your saying and agree with almost all of it, but your condescending tone...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #91
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
In Calgary? I know nothing about them so I don't think anything one way or another.
Thats the safe route.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #92
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try, with mixed success, not to hold strong opinions on topics where I'm not informed.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #93
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's funny how the atheists on this board love to #### bag Christians. But bring up Muslims or Jewish people they clam up.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #94
photon

Exp:

Baloney. If this news story was about a Muslim school then the thread would read pretty much the same.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #95
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's funny how the atheists on this board love to #### bag Christians. But bring up Muslims or Jewish people they clam up.
This thread is about teachings at a Christian school... why would people bring up Muslims or Jews, except to deflect from the topic being discussed here?

Maybe you were looking for this thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=151080
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #96
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Baloney. If this news story was about a Muslim school then the thread would read pretty much the same.
It wouldn't even make the news. men and women aren't allowed to pray together at mosques. How do you think they feel about homosexuals?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #97
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This thread is about teachings at a Christian school... why would people bring up Muslims or Jews, except to deflect from the topic being discussed here?

Maybe you were looking for this thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=151080
Nope, your the one deflecting. The conversation is about religion, follow along. It's about a private school not wanting a gay/straight alliance. I brought up the fact that I don't think it's a Christian thing, but that other religions do the same.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #98
photon

Exp:

Quote:
It wouldn't even make the news.
I thought you were talking about this board?

Quote:
men and women aren't allowed to pray together at mosques. How do you think they feel about homosexuals?
Probably the same as the Christian churches I've been to where the men and women have to sit on separate sides of the aisle.

There's different sects and groups within every religion. Again the issue isn't with a specific religion, it's with any group that adheres to specific beliefs, regardless of what they call their religion. If it was a private school that was billed as a freethought school and catered to non-believers and they said the same thing it should get the same criticism.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #99
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It wouldn't even make the news. men and women aren't allowed to pray together at mosques. How do you think they feel about homosexuals?
What homosexuals???? Aren't they all put to death.

It really is quite the contradiction going on with the left side of the aisle at the moment. You got Feminists and the LGBTQ community aligning with Islam and taking runs at Christianity, it's completely absurd. You paint Christians to be these intolerant bigots, but seem to forget that Christianity was a huge pillar in creating the most tolerant and inclusive societies in the world, i.e. the West. To such a point that Christianity is encouraged and openly slandered now in the public discourse. Go try those same practices in a Society under Sharia Law. Good luck.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #100
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Diversity and inclusion" doesn't seem to apply to anybody with a differing opinion.... Interesting.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote