Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #221
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Use the teamddpyoga.com site. You can get a lot of good tips, support and encouragement there. It isn't a super busy site but you'll have more people than Captain, Return to Red and I to get ideas from. Still keep following this thread too because I'd like to grow the discussion on this site too.

Take your 6 pics (you'll learn more about them on teamddpyoga.com), they are a good thing to look back on and see how much progress you are making. Sometimes you'll get into a funk and feel like you're not doing anything. That was me a couple weeks ago. I got out of it when I did the super hard Diamond Cutter workout, but then I looked at the pics and it really helped me to see how much better I looked. It helped me to keep going.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've moved into doing 2 energy and 3 fat burners a week.

Fat burner really kicks my a$$ and I find myself pausing and rest zoning a couple of times in the workout. But originally energy kicked my a$$ too, but he's right, the more you do it the better and stronger you get. Energy still brings up a big sweat and pumps up my heart rate. The fat burner with the constant movements and transitions is something I'm not strong at yet.

I figure I'll keep transitioning to 1 energy and 4 fat burners and then move on to doing some of the core.

The Black Diamond scares the crap out of me, I'm not there yet by any stretch.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #223
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight I will do Diamond Cutter for the 3rd night in a row. I took off Friday and Saturday, didn't get much sleep and ate horribly over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So I was useless when I did DC on Sunday. Last night was better, and I plan to do it again tonight. I'm getting stronger and better at it but this one will take some time to completely own. It is a 50 minute workout but you hardly notice the time. I really want to own it because it is a good workout and I plan to buy the extreme discs in January.

After tonight I'm going to start doing some of the exercises on disc 3 and 4. Wakeup is a 10 minute workout and sounds like a good thing to start your day with. If I can ever get out of bed on time I'd like to try it out in the mornings.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #224
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just an FYI, DDP is featured on the new episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on HBO (premieres tonight). I'm assuming it has more to do with his help with his fellow wrestlers, but I'm sure DDP Yoga will get some time.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #225
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just started DDP Yoga last week, so far it has been good. I've had to go down to one knee by the 2nd set of lunges on Energy though. I tried Red Hot Core tonight for the first time and I think I will bring that in after Energy. So far I've been doing Energy three times a week, but I've been pretty sore the next day so I've been doing it every other day. I'd imagine the recovery time will be less and less the more I do it.
badradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Just started DDP Yoga last week, so far it has been good. I've had to go down to one knee by the 2nd set of lunges on Energy though. I tried Red Hot Core tonight for the first time and I think I will bring that in after Energy. So far I've been doing Energy three times a week, but I've been pretty sore the next day so I've been doing it every other day. I'd imagine the recovery time will be less and less the more I do it.
It takes a while. I'm not sore the next day anymore. The space shuttle from a lunge makes my whole leg shake.

What you'll find is you'll probably want to do a less deep lunge instead of going to a knee after a while.

Energy does teach you really good form for all of the movements in the other workouts.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #227
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do what CaptainCrunch does and work at your own pace. He has been doing this for a couple of months now and he has only done Energy and Fat Burner. I say good on him for not rushing into the next workout! He knows his body, and he is fully learning proper form.

A person can do Diamond Cutter workout and then go back to Energy and feel like they aren't getting a good workout, but if you really take the time to own each move you can make Energy a really good workout. Not every workout has to kick your ass super hard, but you can make it kick your ass harder than the next guy by owning the workout.

I did Diamond Cutter in my 14th week of doing DDP Yoga. I probably could have waited another week or two but I wasn't out of place. Having done it 3 nights in a row now, I've seen how much I've progressed within the workout. My heart rate didn't stay above my fat burning zone on the 3rd night for as long as it did on my 1st night. I had to modify less on my 3rd night as I did on my 1st night, but I still modify and hit an extra safety zone or two. You can take your time and only do Energy for a few weeks until you are doing it every night and pushing hard every second without modifying and you are still getting a very good workout.

You don't have to hurry up and workout harder on the harder workouts to get a good workout. Take your time and own the workout. You are still making a difference on your body and you are owning your life.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Do what CaptainCrunch does and work at your own pace. He has been doing this for a couple of months now and he has only done Energy and Fat Burner. I say good on him for not rushing into the next workout! He knows his body, and he is fully learning proper form.

A person can do Diamond Cutter workout and then go back to Energy and feel like they aren't getting a good workout, but if you really take the time to own each move you can make Energy a really good workout. Not every workout has to kick your ass super hard, but you can make it kick your ass harder than the next guy by owning the workout.

I did Diamond Cutter in my 14th week of doing DDP Yoga. I probably could have waited another week or two but I wasn't out of place. Having done it 3 nights in a row now, I've seen how much I've progressed within the workout. My heart rate didn't stay above my fat burning zone on the 3rd night for as long as it did on my 1st night. I had to modify less on my 3rd night as I did on my 1st night, but I still modify and hit an extra safety zone or two. You can take your time and only do Energy for a few weeks until you are doing it every night and pushing hard every second without modifying and you are still getting a very good workout.

You don't have to hurry up and workout harder on the harder workouts to get a good workout. Take your time and own the workout. You are still making a difference on your body and you are owning your life.
Great advice. I still get a good work out on Energy and on Fat Burner because you usually start these workouts in modification where you're down on your knee for example or doing a three legged broken table to start with. Then you slowly move into short lunge positions or near upright and then into more of the tougher positions.

When I started Energy I was going into safety zone every few minutes, but that's because I was trying to be really cognizant of how you lock down your lower body and keep it locked down, and making sure that your creating your own resistance.

My arms still shake on rows and punches because I make an effort to really have everything locked in.

I've gotten to the point where I'm still in a fat burn zone, I'm sweating like a dog, and I'm still getting the shakes when it comes to things like broken table(When I started this I really couldn't hold broken table for more then a few seconds, now I kick its a$$). The DDP pushups, I can do them and still get that amazing quaking in my chest shoulders biceps and triceps.

When I got completely comfortable with Energy I moved into fat burner, which is to me very tough because of the transitions between movements. Also the pace picked up significantly to where I look at Energy's more sedate pace fondly. But because I took the time and built up my ability to stay in runner's lunge while doing the movements, and I know how to lock it down in DDP's words I can attempt and to the more advanced stuff and not stumble and die like broken table crunches. three legged down dog, doing 4 sets of DDP full pushups without doing the modify.

But the important thing to know, this isn't a race, you don't have to stick to the schedule, if its getting too hard and your racing out of your fat burning zone then modify. Heck even Page modifies in the fat burner and he's been doing it forever.

Its your workout, do it safely and be comfortable in doing it. And he's right, everyday that you do it, you can literally feel the results happening as your balance becomes better, your lockdown becomes better and you can hold positions longer.

I wish this thing had been around or I'd known about it years ago.

Plus the lovely Stacey is lovely. And a great story on her own

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #229
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Diamond Cutter I was going to my knees for the pushups. You do the 3ct pushups somewhere around 3 to 5 times. I'd usually make it through all of those without taking the knee, but I'd go to my knee for the 5 count (done 2 or 3 times) and 10 count pushups (done only once). Well, last night was my 3rd night in a row and I went to my knees again, except it wasn't until after the 10 count that I realized, I forgot to drop to my knees for the 10 count. I did it without thinking of it! I don't think I could have done it the previous two nights though.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #230
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buff, regarding wakeup it really is just breathing and stretching so I don't bother with it.

I really like doing the mix tape and standup, I find if i'm short on time fat burner is ok but it just doesn't get me going as much anymore...at the end im sorta like meh, but that's a good thing I suppose!

Lately I've been having problems when I kick my right leg up from Down Dog and shake it out. It sorta feels like i've maybe torn something or aggrevated something behind my knee so i've been taking at really easy on the broken table stuff.

Limited time tonight again with the little guy so probably sneak in a red hot core and then pause and do some 5 ct pushups for 3 sets in between.

Keep it up group! I wish my boobs would start coming in, I still feel like a 12 year old girl even though my wife says they are getting there.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #231
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had so many minor problems with my knees that I can't sit back on them very well yet. So the kneeling Diamond Cutters at the end of Fat Burner are still beneficial to me. Right now my right knee is the one that is causing me problems and I struggle to get into safety zone early in the workouts, but it loosens up as the workout goes along.

After three nights in a row of Diamond Cutter i decided to tone it back tonight but couldn't decide what to do. All this talk of Fat Burner has made up my mind. Here I go... eventually.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've had so many minor problems with my knees that I can't sit back on them very well yet. So the kneeling Diamond Cutters at the end of Fat Burner are still beneficial to me. Right now my right knee is the one that is causing me problems and I struggle to get into safety zone early in the workouts, but it loosens up as the workout goes along.

After three nights in a row of Diamond Cutter i decided to tone it back tonight but couldn't decide what to do. All this talk of Fat Burner has made up my mind. Here I go... eventually.
I will say my knees are a lot better then they've been in a long time, probably a big part of that due to weight loss, and the other because the workout really lossens things up.

I was reading on their board. And when people need a rest from the tougher workouts or they just don't have it in them to do the longer workouts they go to energy which is a good stretch workout.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #233
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

By reading this thread it doesn't seem like this is a dual yoga but mostly exercises that don't require weights like insanity. Is this true? It is there some actual yoga uncooked here? I don't think working out triceps biceps and chest is what yoga is meant too be.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #234
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
By reading this thread it doesn't seem like this is a dual yoga but mostly exercises that don't require weights like insanity. Is this true? It is there some actual yoga uncooked here? I don't think working out triceps biceps and chest is what yoga is meant too be.
It's really power yoga which tends to be a more vigorous fitness program that focuses on both strength and flexibility. This has an extra twist to it with a further concentration on dynamic resistance/muscle engagement.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #235
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
There's a combination of things here. Actual yoga is an element. But you also get a lot of strength training via movement and isometrics. There's certainly an element of Tai Chi in terms of transistion work, and some limited calisthenics for heart rate and explosive use of muscles.

But its not traditional Yoga, I like the term power yoga.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #236
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think there really is a 'true' form of Yoga. I had an Indian co-worker and I was asking him about what styles of yoga they do in India (ie - Vinyasa, Ashtanga), his answer: "Uh, we just call it yoga". I think the compartmentalizing of the different schools of Yoga is mostly a western thing.

If the intention of Yoga is to achieve full body fitness, then including the chest, biceps and triceps is perfectly valid. I think DDP has been very inventive and thoughtful in incorporating these areas into his program.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #237
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three nights in a row of Diamond Cutter and each night my average heart rate went down by a couple of beats. The first night it was 142, I don't remember the next night but the 3rd night was 137.

I did Fat Burner last night and I really worked it hard but my average heart rate was 126. I still felt like I got a really great workout in though.

What I found really cool is what I did during the workout. I've always considered myself to be quite flexible. That had gone by the wayside over the past few years though, as I didn't do much to help out with my flexibility... actually, pretty much nothing I did was to help or improve it. So, I was disappointed in myself when I started this program and I wasn't as flexible as I felt I should be. I was even disappointment with my progress on that part. I saw improvements but they didn't come as quickly as I expected. Well, last night when doing downdog I was able to get my heels to touch the ground. My feet were flat on the ground!

Toning, strength building, flexibility and cardio are all improving thanks to DDP Yoga. Glad I found it.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #238
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice work Buff, I've noticed my flexibility improving vastly as well as standing I can now ummm put my head between my knees.

I've also really noticed my core strength and balance as well. Not sure if anyone has done the hood ornament one but I can completely tilt down and not waiver at all whereas before I cold barely stand on one leg.

I slacked off last night and didn't sneak in my workout and now with golf tonight and going out of town until Sunday i'm really wishing I would have done at least something. Already trying to psych myself up enough to attempt double black diamond on Sunday, i'll let you know how it goes

DDPism - anyone else yell at the TV "shut up and start counting already!"?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #239
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
Nice work Buff, I've noticed my flexibility improving vastly as well as standing I can now ummm put my head between my knees.

I've also really noticed my core strength and balance as well. Not sure if anyone has done the hood ornament one but I can completely tilt down and not waiver at all whereas before I cold barely stand on one leg.

I slacked off last night and didn't sneak in my workout and now with golf tonight and going out of town until Sunday i'm really wishing I would have done at least something. Already trying to psych myself up enough to attempt double black diamond on Sunday, i'll let you know how it goes

I've got the audio versions on my Ipod in case I'm on the road. I can do it in my hotel room or where ever I'm saying.

Yeah, I remember on Energy with the 3 ct when he gets you in a position, then says, we're going to hold it to a count of 9. You just have to stay there, your building strength in your arms and shoulders blah blah and then he starts counting.

When I first started doing stuff like Broken table, I got into the bad habit of doing my own countdown instead of focusing on the holding the position and doing things like pushing up on my shoulder and really pushing that leg back. When I stopped counting and just started focusing on what I was doing, I was much further ahead.

I'm thankful that I'd doing this workout alone, I would hate to be with a group of woman and going into human cannonball, because man that's the ultimate cutting loose fart position.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #240
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post

Especially in RHC when you are doing Jackknife. I'm sure he is delaying the countdown on purpose!

I liked how he gets you into Alligator in Diamond Cutter and then after talking for 3 hours, asks YogaDoc for a number and Doc shouts out "5!" and DDP was disappointed with the low number.

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg