Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #61
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal. Radulov. Marleau. Kovalchuk. Neiderreiter.

Get someone who's legit and push for the cup.

Then try to sign Kulikov as the #5 to a 2x2 deal or less and let a rookie take #6 spot.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #62
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Ferlund deserves top line time

What he's done and been asked of him which is everything has to have him be there with Johnny and Sean.

Johnny and Sean play better with him on that line.

I keep saying this but ill say it again. Backlund has been give a ton of time and patience and look where he's at now. His ascension has been cool to watch and has had allot to do with confidence.

I can't even imagine how good Ferlund will be if we invest the same time and patience......plus Ferlund is a beast ......so even better.
But keep in mind that every player's journey in the NHL is a combination of their ceiling, development and timing. Backlund is great and he certainly appears to be successfully reaching his ceiling as a player, but that doesn't mean that Ferland or any other player will automatically become a really great player, too.

I don't know Ferland's ceiling, but you can't just put him in on the first line for years hoping he becomes a top line player if he starts to struggle for extended periods or if someone else seems more worthy.

The eye test says he's got some skills, but doesn't think the game at an incredible level like a lot of top line players. I could see him putting a lot together and becoming a great top six player, but I could just as easily see him not quite having what it takes to be a top six player, consistently.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #63
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

The fact that the team is looking for a top 6 rw tells me that they don't think Ferland is suited to the job on the 1st line
Old 06-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #64
jayswin

Exp:

It really is too bad that Brouwer appears to not be working out and will now be a bottom six forward at $4.5mil. Imagine if we had that right now to put towards a true number one right wing?

We could quite literally have been pushing ourselves into cup contender status if we had that cap space. Hurts to think about.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #65
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
The fact that the team is looking for a top 6 rw tells me that they don't think Ferland is suited to the job on the 1st line
Where has the team said they're looking for a RW? Pretty sure this is all fans being fans.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #66
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Where has the team said they're looking for a RW? Pretty sure this is all fans being fans.
I'm pretty sure Brad has directly mentioned a top line right winger a couple times this off season. Could be misremembering, though, as he's done a lot of interviews.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #67
bcneil
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It really is too bad that Brouwer appears to not be working out and will now be a bottom six forward at $4.5mil. Imagine if we had that right now to put towards a true number one right wing?

We could quite literally have been pushing ourselves into cup contender status if we had that cap space. Hurts to think about.
Yeah, but that is sort of like saying "If we only had less injuries, we would have ....." It's the same for all teams, they all have injuries.....and they all have a couple dud contracts wasting cap space.
bcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcneil For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #68
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Over 7 Million In Flames Cap Space Remaining:

I believe Jankowski joining the top 6 is the answer, along with Tkachuk joining the top line.

Gaudreau (6,750,000) Monahan (6,375,000) Tkachuk (925,000)
Jankowski (925,000) Backlund (3,575,000) Frolik (4,300,000)
Ferland (1,500,000) Bennett (2,700,000) Lazar (874,125)
Bouma (2,200,000) Stajan (3,125,000) Brouwer (4,500,000)
Chiasson (840,000) Hamilton (612,500)

Giordano (6,750,000) Hamilton (5,750,000)
Brodie (4,650,400 Hamonic (3,857,143)
Kulak (660,000) Andersson (755,833)
Bartkowski (612,500)

Smith (4,250,000)
________

Salary Cap: $75,000,000 million
Bonuses/Buyout (Raymond) $1,670,000
Total Cap Hit: $67,537,501
Cap Space Available: $7,462,499
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #69
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I'm just not sure who that RW can be.

Is it a playmaker?

Is it a sniper?

Is it a big-body?
Tkachuk could be all 3 IMO. He's a playmaker who can finish but he's also a big body, amazing along the boards and loves to drive the net.

If Ferland isn't the fit then Tkachuk checks every box you're looking for except being a right shot. But I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to play his off wing.

Tkachuk or Ferland for me. At least see how they do. Can always pick up a scorer near the deadline if that becomes a big need.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #70
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Who says they are?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #71
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I believe Jankowski joining the top 6 is the answer, along with Tkachuk joining the top line.

Gaudreau (6,750,000) Monahan (6,375,000) Tkachuk (925,000)
Jankowski (925,000) Backlund (3,575,000) Frolik (4,300,000)
Ferland (1,500,000) Bennett (2,700,000) Lazar (874,125)
Bouma (2,200,000) Stajan (3,125,000) Brouwer (4,500,000)
Chiasson (840,000) Hamilton (612,500)

Giordano (6,750,000) Hamilton (5,750,000)
Brodie (4,650,400 Hamonic (3,857,143)
Kulak (660,000) Andersson (755,833)
Bartkowski (612,500)

Smith (4,250,000)
________

Salary Cap: $75,000,000 million
Bonuses/Buyout (Raymond) $1,670,000
Total Cap Hit: $67,537,501
Cap Space Available: $7,462,499
That would be my hope too. I think Janks is ready not only to play in the NHL but make an impact.

But I think the Flames will sign a FA before he gets that chance to push Tkachuk up to line 1. Which is hard to dislike, because it just makes us all that much deeper if Janks does pan out this year. He can skate alongside (or center?) Bennett.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #72
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this is a priority for the Flames. I think they will stick with Ferland and hope Brouwer bounces back
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #73
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Tkachuk could be all 3 IMO. He's a playmaker who can finish but he's also a big body, amazing along the boards and loves to drive the net.

If Ferland isn't the fit then Tkachuk checks every box you're looking for except being a right shot. But I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to play his off wing.

Tkachuk or Ferland for me. At least see how they do. Can always pick up a scorer near the deadline if that becomes a big need.
I agree completely, but I just don't want to touch that 3M line.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #74
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Preferences in order:

Ferland - He had a great final stretch of the season playing on the top line. As mentioned before he got 15 goals playing the majority of the season in the bottom 6 with a sliver of PP time. A full season with Johnny/Mony and some PP time, he has potential to hit 25-30 goals. Plus he creates space for Johnny with his big body and hitting. This has to be the year he breaks out in a major way.

Brouwer - Has a career resurgence or at least a return to previous form. Last season he sucked and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it but he was on pace for his career averages until his injury. He has the potential for 20/20 if he can rebound.

Lazar - Terrible year last year but he has skill and tenacity. He gets a complete fresh slate starting this preseason and I'd love to see him prove he was worth the 2nd round pick.

Tkachuk - Everyone knows what he brings, I just don't love the idea of him or Johnny playing their off wings. Also don't like breaking up the defensively dominant 3M line.

Re-sign Versteeg - As long as he comes cheap, I'd love for him to get another extended look with 13 and 23.

Other UFA/trade - All the impact RW's left will command big money and Radulov is the only guy I'd really want. Trading for a guy like Neal will cost more assets/futures, not sure I like that idea after losing so many in the last 12 months.

It's pretty apparent I want the #1 RW to be filled internally and I'm really pulling for Ferland. Pricy UFA or trade would be my last option.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #75
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thought Frolik was our first line centre, since the Backlund line is our first line.
In all seriousness though, if we're keeping Gaudreau and Monohan together for now, I think we fill the RW side with Ferland or Tkachuk for now. If neither guy seems like the right fit by January and the team is looking good. Then, I'd hope that we look at someone at the trade deadline. Don't think we have the assets to get a guy like Niederreiter or the cap space / desirable destination to go after a free agent.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #76
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall Treliving ever stating a "first line" RW was a need, let alone a priority this summer?

Nevertheless, I think Ferland fits very nicely on that line; the only issue with him is going to be consistency over 82 games. He adds size, speed, and finish off the rush -- he's also responsible defensively and doesn't take dumb penalties.

Iggy would sell some tickets but if you want a slow, aging RW you can look no further than Brouwer (who I bet will have a better season this year).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #77
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Might Jagr be an option?
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #78
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Might Jagr be an option?
At some point his age does catch up with him, and I worry his speed won't keep up with Johnny and Mony.

While it is fun to think of him on the team, practically speaking I would pass. Similar logic on Iggy as well.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #79
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
At some point his age does catch up with him, and I worry his speed won't keep up with Johnny and Mony.

While it is fun to think of him on the team, practically speaking I would pass. Similar logic on Iggy as well.
What were the term and value of his last contract? If he is down to 1 year deals, I would be willing to give him a shot. Guy would open up a lot of space for Johnny and Mony.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #80
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully brouwer and his hand are good enough for the second and third line this year. As for the first line, it's really hard to say. I don't think jagr could take the minutes. Ferland and Tkachuk get my vote as well, for now
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote