Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #2021
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have three stupid kids, so I'm doing my Canadian Patriotic Duty by creating future tax payers for the nation.

You're welcome.

I have zero kids, so I’m doing my duty to help reduce over population, stretching our limited resources, and reducing future carbon emitters.

Your kids are welcome.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 12:27 PM   #2022
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
New arena is going to price out a lot of people, especially in this time of inflation.
There has rarely been a time in the last seven years when you couldn’t find $15 tickets to Flames games on stubhub if you but looked. They aren’t great seats, but you can go watch NHL hockey if you want to.

Beyond that, there’s no sense worrying about the impacts of present-day inflation with a building that will be in use for 30-40 years.

And if indeed that’s something you’re concerned with, you should be at least as concerned about a major structural failure occurring at the Saddledome when 18,000 people are inside.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:28 PM   #2023
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There has rarely been a time in the last seven years when you couldn’t find $15 tickets to Flames games on stubhub if you but looked. They aren’t great seats, but you can go watch NHL hockey if you want to.

Beyond that, there’s no sense worrying about the impacts of present-day inflation with a building that will be in use for 30-40 years.

And if indeed that’s something you’re concerned with, you should be at least as concerned about a major structural failure occurring at the Saddledome when 18,000 people are inside.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #2024
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
I have zero kids, so I’m doing my duty to help reduce over population, stretching our limited resources, and reducing future carbon emitters.

Your kids are welcome.
Between you having none and Cro having three, you’re actually both contributing to 1.5 children per household. Good job.

(But for real, not having kids sounds great until you’re 50 and realize all your other “friends” are burnt out alcoholics and the people you’d like to hang with all have families)
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #2025
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I personally think Murray getting blown by the city and province is terrible and the arena money should be earmarked towards affordable housing. However, arguing with the pro-Murray side is like arguing with an anti-vaxxer. I still haven't seen a single article/study put forth by the pro side that supports their argument that cities benefit economically from subsidized arenas but they hand wave it away because they really don't care about the economics and just want to make sure the Flames stay in town.

Just be honest and don't hide behind crappy economic arguments.
situations can be unique

articles and studies factor in replacing an old arena with a new one for vanity

often leaving out the reality these buildings eventually need major renovations or replacement

It would be more economically sound for you to drive a 2001 Toyota Camry but I doubt you do
Old 06-08-2023, 12:35 PM   #2026
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Between you having none and Cro having three, you’re actually both contributing to 1.5 children per household. Good job.

(But for real, not having kids sounds great until you’re 50 and realize all your other “friends” are burnt out alcoholics and the people you’d like to hang with all have families)
I don't have kids either and don't plan to either, you can add my percentage to to those numbers.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:39 PM   #2027
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I suspect millennials without children in their 50's, 60's and beyond will just rely on their friends as their caretakers, benefactors, and primary emergency contacts for elderly matters. That, or become burdens of the state, which in reality isn't all that bad of an idea with all the taxes you pay over a lifetime.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #2028
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I suspect millennials without children in their 50's, 60's and beyond will just rely on their friends as their caretakers, benefactors, and primary emergency contacts for elderly matters. That, or become burdens of the state, which in reality isn't all that bad of an idea with all the taxes you pay over a lifetime.
I actually suspect it will become a real problem at some point in time. you'll get more childless people in their 70s+ with no living siblings or nieces/nephews... close family relations. Clearly there will be a burden on the state, and I suspect for all of the complaining that childless people do about paying too much in taxes, it will disproportionately hit my kids who I spent 10s of thousands of dollars / year raising to support these people who went through their 30s able to make investments and gallivant around the world on luxury vacations.

I say lets be China, now that the population explosion is under control, instead of taxing parents into poverty, lets tax the childless into poverty.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #2029
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I don't think people realize how little they actually contribute to the tax pool. Like, when someone says "I don't want my tax dollars going to this thing", your actual share of it is pennies on the dollar at most.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #2030
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I don't think people realize how little they actually contribute to the tax pool. Like, when someone says "I don't want my tax dollars going to this thing", your actual share of it is pennies on the dollar at most.
pay .50 cents in increased taxes for something

Spend 300 hours fighting against it
Old 06-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #2031
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI we need more people in Canada not less

population is aging at an unsustainable rate...there is a reason the push for immigration is so high
Old 06-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #2032
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My wife was like a personal caregiver to her father for the last 5 years of his life picking up his groceries and taking him to his appointments, etc. I would imagine nursing homes will become more prominent for a generation of elderly adults with no children to depend on in their twilight years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:59 PM   #2033
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also suspect many will find out too late that you can’t rely on your friends for that level of care.

It’s really sad - all because they didn’t want to have the most amazing experience of their lives.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #2034
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

population is aging at an unsustainable rate...there is a reason the push for immigration is so high
No we just need less useless and costly old people. They’re a drain on our health care system and economy. Anyone over 75 should be put on an iceberg and pushed out to sea.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #2035
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

So rally against carbon even though Canada is a rounding error on the global impact, but ignore over population because Canada is a rounding error on the global impact. Got it.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #2036
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I also suspect many will find out too late that you can’t rely on your friends for that level of care.

It’s really sad - all because they didn’t want to have the most amazing experience of their lives.
lol. Your kids don’t care about you either. They just want you to die so they can afford a house.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #2037
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hope they save the money they didn't get to spend going to a game in the new arena so they can use it for their doctor visits.
I hope the UCP is following along this thread some excellent ideas that can be used in Health Care.

Instead of lining up to pay for your Dr visit Hospital they should have a scanner as soon as you walk into a clinic or hospital it charges your card automatically like taking beer from a concession stand.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:05 PM   #2038
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be childless when I'm 75, so if I'm a burden to the healthcare system and economy, the Canada Space Agency has my permission to use me as space exploration test fodder. Fire my shriveled ass to another planet and see what happens, I don't really care. I'll go out contributing to the greater good of science! Will be cheaper than retirement anyways.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #2039
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No we just need less useless old people. Anyone over 75 should be put on an iceberg and pushed out to sea.
No, we really do need more people in Canada, and we need more of them to have children.

How do you think anything gets better? You have to want to improve the whole thing for the next generation, which is only an effective motivator if you have a contribution said generation, because other people’s kids, by and large, suck, and you’re not making any materially significant sacrifices for them.

No kids, no skin in the game. Your story ends when you do.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #2040
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'll be childless when I'm 75, so if I'm a burden to the healthcare system and economy, the Canada Space Agency has my permission to use me as space exploration test fodder. Fire my shriveled ass to another planet and see what happens, I don't really care. I'll go out contributing to the greater good of science! Will be cheaper than retirement anyways.

The day I need someone to change my diaper, I plan on having them strap me to a motorcycle and see if I can jump Springfield Gorge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post: