Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2024, 06:57 PM   #21
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he will be replacing mangiapane. He needs a good summer of training to get stronger and add some weight.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 07:21 PM   #22
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Next year Iam not too sure. But he will eventually be a top six forward imo.

Last edited by Your Calgary Flames!; 04-01-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:51 PM   #23
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

This year he is a tweener.

Next year he will be a tweener, but will benefit from being with the big club.

The year after, he needs to be solidly with the big club.

His career trajectory is up to him, he just needs to take it. There isn't a player currently in the organization standing in his way.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:49 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Anything less than 50 goals in 50 games is reason enough to blame Murray Edwards and uhhh Don Maloney or something.
I'll blame Don Edwards.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:01 AM   #25
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he will follow Dube's production:
Year 1: 25GP, 1G, 5P
Year 2: 45GP, 6G, 16P
Year 3: 51GP, 11G, 22P
Year 4: 79GP, 18G, 32P
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:53 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It takes a while even for some blue chip prospects to get their footing in the NHL. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that he hasn't lit up the lamp as he will go into the summer knowing that he needs to improve his game, fitness, etc. Maybe the worst thing to happen to Baertschi and to a lesser degree Bennett was that their initial NHL success came a little too quickly which give the player maybe the false assurance that they have made it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:16 AM   #27
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Personally, I believe that Pelletier will be slotted into Mangiapane place next year seeing as his style of play better fits with Coleman and Backs but we will see.

Coronato needs a top 6 spot to shine but also needs to work on his speed and strength before truly making an impact. I believe that next year will be very similar to this year and he will go up and down. Once he gains enough speed and strength I believe he will be an impact forward, so maybe in two seasons we see around 20-20 production and then he will be 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists season for the remainder of his prime.

He has all the tools, the IQ, the shot but his speed and strength are not allowing him to play his game. Once this is achieved, he will be a top 6 scoring threat game in and game out.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 07:38 AM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think he will follow Dube's production:
Year 1: 25GP, 1G, 5P
Year 2: 45GP, 6G, 16P
Year 3: 51GP, 11G, 22P
Year 4: 79GP, 18G, 32P
I'll take the over on 6 goals next year, and the over on every year after that.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:47 AM   #29
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would certainly hope that Coronato, the 12th player taken in his draft, would track better than Dube, a 2nd round pick.

And I think he will.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #30
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think he will be a top scorer...

...for the Wranglers!!
He isn't ready yet and I suspect next year he will not be either. I expect a breakout the following season (25/26).
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #31
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

You probably train different playing 35-45 games a season.

He needs to play and get his body and mind adjusted to playing 98 games.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #32
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope the team has eventful offseason by trading a couple veterans, signing a couple of younger FA and promoting some young guys to the important role.
So I see Coronato will be top 2 line winger whole season and will score 20 next season.
But I agree that Coronato, Zary and Pelletier all need to spend more time in gym and Zary, Miromanov, Okhotiuk all needs skating and Pachal and other needs to work with their shooting.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:52 AM   #33
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He's got a good shot but his skating holds him back at the NHL level. He doesn't generate much on his own and can benefit from a good passer on his line.
Could be good on the powerplay
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 12:20 PM   #34
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I'll take the over on 6 goals next year, and the over on every year after that.
I think that would largely depend on if he becomes a regular. If he plays around 40-50 games without much PP time 6 goals seems about right.

Personally, I'd love for him to score 15, 20, or even 30 next year, but I will be patient with my expectations until he has 3-4 seasons under his belt.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:07 PM   #35
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
1 year older
Well, that will be an improvement over the eternally "18 year old" Sam Bennett.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:12 PM   #36
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think there is a good chance he'll largely be in the AHL.

Huberdeau
Kuzmenko
Mangiapane
Coleman
Zary
Pospicle

That's the T9 wingers we have right now and under contract for next year with Coronato and Pelletier waiting in the wings (and I believe that Pelletier is no longer waivers exempt). I don't think it makes much sense for either of them to play limited 4th line minutes so for Coronato to get in the Flames need to make 2+X spaces (where X is the number of T9 forwards added in the offseason). Doable for sure but I'm not sure how probable.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:30 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think that would largely depend on if he becomes a regular. If he plays around 40-50 games without much PP time 6 goals seems about right.

Personally, I'd love for him to score 15, 20, or even 30 next year, but I will be patient with my expectations until he has 3-4 seasons under his belt.
I think he will play a lot more than 40 games. But even if he only plays 40-50, he will still hit double digits in goals.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:02 PM   #38
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't see much there. Not expecting to be overwhelmed.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:19 PM   #39
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Contract Year for him. I suspect he’ll be plenty motivated.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:01 AM   #40
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a lot depends on what spots on the big club are available to him. Not saying he should be gifted a spot of course… just that he could thrive under the right circumstances. For example, if Mangiapane is traded in the offseason and a spot is available on that line with Coleman and Backlund, I think whichever young winger establishes themselves in that spot could be put in a great position to do well - and that could be Coronato or Pelletier or even a long shot like Honzek.

Additionally, he could thrive if given an ideal powerplay opportunity on the first powerplay unit… but there are likely too many vets ahead of him in the lineup for that to happen next season. The current top powerplay unit (that has been the most successful of any version this year) has Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Kadri and Weegar. Not sure he will displace any of them.

Also, it’s been a long time since the flames setup a powerplay around a right-hand shot sniper like Coronato (not since the Iginla years really). There are a few teams that do this setup such as Washington (Ovechkin), Tampa Bay (Stamkos), Colorado (MacKinnon) and Montreal (Caufield). I’m not saying Coronato could be as effective on the powerplay as any of those players… just pointing out that those powerplays are designed around the consistent threat of a right-handed sniper on their off-wing side. The flames powerplay is not… they follow a very similar system now that they used in the Gaudreau years with Huberdeau taking Gaudreau’s spot as the high forward with a left-handed shot that moves inward to open seams for either a shot or a pass. Coronato could do fine in that system given opportunity but I think he would do really well if they tried to design the powerplay to work off his strength as a shooter. I would love to see a new look on the powerplay next year with Huberdeau on his off-wing side and either Coronato or Sharangovich on their off-wing side.

Putting Coronato in Mangiapane’s spot and giving him one-timers on the first powerplay unit would do wonders for the kid next year IMO. He has to earn it of course and he has to build the strength and conditioning this offseason to stay in a spot like that for a long NHL season.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote