Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #201
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
It would have been better if it had been Berra, if only for the Olympic angle on the scrap.

And if we're calling guys up for next game, Breen and Ferland better be on the plane as well. Possibly Kanzig on an emergency call up basis.
Ferland is done for the year, knee surgery.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #202
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Obviously that's not what it meant since Bieksa didn't fight.

I have no idea whether he would have dropped his gloves or not if Sedin is there or not but that doesn't matter because he did drop his gloves in this case.

I am relaying what I have heard media and NHL types say. They want to get rid of these types of fights, Westgarth dropped his gloves a half second after the puck was dropped and NHL/media think by /suspending coaches they can possibly curb these types of fights.

Therefore I expect Hartley gets fined and based on previous comments that fits with what the league wants so the fine would be justified.
Then why would Hartley be fined if Bieksa took the faceoff? The NHL and Shanahan know what that symbolizes which is why you and Resolute will be proven wrong on Monday. Hartley did nothing wrong. It was Vancouver who started the whole thing with having Bieksa take the faceoff. If he doesn't do that it's probably a one on one fight or two on two fight.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #203
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Canucks just proved to all teams with this game, the Kings game, and the Ducks game, that if you bait them into playing a tough physical game they'll struggle... and then they'll blame everyone else for their short commings when it doesn't work out in their favor.

I just like how Calgary just started their lineup, it is what it is... and Vancouver is turning it into a poor me, melodrama, blaming everyone else, calling them names, claiming they had no choice and they were backed into a corner.

And with Westgarth, it was more self preservation... Bieksa waved the kid out taking the faceoff. Bieksa is cheap so he probably thought he'd throw a punch or 2, Westgarth got the jump on him and when Bieksa wasn't fighting Westgarth let him go. It was nothing like Sestito on Nolan, or Thornton and Orpik. Or Ference and Stempniak.

And then Lain went to Westgarth after. Westgarth didn't chase him down.

Mcgratten and Sestito was going to happen... I think the other fights were more Vancouver trying to prove they're tougher and Calgary pushed back harder.

My opinion on it anyways
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #204
Arkamedius
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well if it isn't a rule now it has been talked about fining coaches for staged fights at the start of games.

Westgarth was clearly the initiator of the fights as he had his gloves off before anyone. He was out there with one purpose and that was too fight. No denying that.

I love what Hartley did, loved the fights but Hartley 100% deserves a fine from how that game started and how fast Westgarth had his gloves off.
Two things,

1. Bieksa isn't innocent.
2. Does the NHL audit whose gloves hit the ice first or just that both players have agreed to drop gloves?

In seriousness, punches were being thrown from both sides there. Tensions are high on both teams which obviously is going to result in altercations. The biggest controversy here is Torts approaching Hartley during the intermission. This isn't the first time there has been a fight at the start of the game, doubt it will be the last. Player safety is a concern, entertainment is of course another which is why I suspect the NHL hasn't provided specific rules regulating fight times with the exception of at the end of the period.
Arkamedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #205
Arkamedius
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously that's not what it meant since Bieksa didn't fight.

Very interesting..
I see number the 3 in a Canucks jersey throwing punches with I think it is Smid..?
Arkamedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #206
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Score reporting that Torts will have an in-person hearing for his role last night.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #207
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
And with Westgarth, it was more self preservation... Bieksa waved the kid out taking the faceoff. Bieksa is cheap so he probably thought he'd throw a punch or 2, Westgarth got the jump on him and when Bieksa wasn't fighting Westgarth let him go. It was nothing like Sestito on Nolan, or Thornton and Orpik. Or Ference and Stempniak.
Yeah, I would reiterate the Westgarth vs Bieksa "fight". Westgarth dropped his gloves quick and grabbed Bieksa, but never even attempted to throw a punch. He seemed surprised that they weren't going after each other and at that point he might have deserved an instigator for shoulder rubbing but not fighting.

And yet the Canuck fans somehow believe that if the Sedins were out there McGrattan and Westgarth would have fought them? Nope, Westgarth vs Bieksa very clearly illustrated that these guys wouldn't have fought anyone not willing to.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #208
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Score reporting that Torts will have an in-person hearing for his role last night.
Yup. Torts is headed to New York tomorrow.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #209
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I please let Brooksie be there for some interviewing.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #210
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Someone tell Brooksie... that interview would be legendary.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #211
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Surprise surprise. The NHL knows the real culprit behind the brawl.

2 games is my guess.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #212
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Surprise surprise. The NHL knows the real culprit behind the brawl.

2 games is my guess.
Well I think this is more to do with showing up in the hallway.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #213
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brooksie article he wrote last night after the brawl. Nothing to earth shattering.

Quote:
Well, at least John Tortorella didn’t bring a water bottle with him to throw at Bob Hartley when he invaded the corridor outside the Flames’ room looking for trouble and the Calgary coach after the first period of Saturday’s match in Vancouver that opened with a five-on-five brawl.

The Vancouver coach, in so many ways Saturday night the same as the Rangers’ coach he was through his four-plus season reign over Broadway until he was deposed following last season, is expected to return to New York early this week for a disciplinary hearing with NHL VP Colin Campbell.
http://nypost.com/2014/01/19/tortore...algarys-coach/

Last edited by jschick88; 01-19-2014 at 01:36 PM.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #214
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Someone tell Brooksie... that interview would be legendary.
We need to start a fund and petition to move Brooksie to Vancouver. Imagine if Van lost last night, and then Torts had Brooksie.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #215
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

With the recent antics of the nucks and specificly with Sestito going after guys 1 second into the game, its no wonder a team put its a$$ kickers out for the opening draw. If Hartley didnt do it, someone else would have. Im interested to know how other coaches truly feel about this.

And the last change matters. Tort's seen this as an opportunity to be the victim for once and it failed big time.

Also, where in the rule book does it say you cant start guys who only play 6mins/game and are known for thier fighting skill, not hockey sense? It doesnt. Hartley did nothing wrong IMO.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #216
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find it interesting that people think Hartley did anything wrong. He started his 4th line, at worst, it's an intimidation tactic.

It's not like Westgarth doesn't take a few faceoffs every season, Bieksa on the other hand takes about... zero? Is that right? Yeah, zero.

Kind of shows what team was looking for scrap. Anyone who thinks that a starting line that includes Jones, Smid, and Butler was looking for scraps is out to lunch.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #217
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Ottawa Senators react to gongshow in Vancouver

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/19/...w-in-vancouver

Quote:
At the top of Spezza's to-do-list Sunday morning was a text to McGrattan to congratulate him for his great restraint during the proceedings and his ability to hold back Calgary goalie coach Clint Malarchuk, who also had to be stopped from trying to get at Tortorella.

"That was my first text (Sunday) morning," said Spezza following an off-ice workout at the Canadian Tire Centre. "(He said in the text) 'It probably took a lot for (McGrattan) not to take a swing at (Tortorella).'

"He was grabbing and pulling guys back. I was pretty impressed. That's the new, mature Brian McGrattan I guess. Six or seven years ago he probably would have had Torts' suit jacket ripped off and him on the ground. I had good chuckle with him (Sunday) about it. Of all the guys to be there."
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #218
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Ferland is done for the year, knee surgery.
Then park him in a chair outside the dressing room! And sharpen the crutches too!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #219
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Then park him in a chair outside the dressing room! And sharpen the crutches too!

Just get him some of these for his crutches - I had them on my crutches after my ACL repair, so I didn't slip on the ice.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #220
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

An In Person hearing for a player suggests a more serious suspension.

I don't know how often they do In Person hearings for coaches. I don't recall Rolston getting one in Buffalo for the Scott incident.

I'm hoping that Tortorella gets suspended until after the Olympic break. Although, the longer the Tortorella suspension, the more likely that Hartley will get some punishment as well.