Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #21
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I stick with the basics. 3 minutes a side per inch of thickness, little montreal seasoning ground in, HP if you need sauce. That's all I got.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #22
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the most important things to remember, is never grill cold steaks. They should be allowed to come to room temperature for about an hour.

Also, oil your grill.

And when you put your meat on the grill, let it sit for the desired time on one side, then dittor for the other side. Constant flipping is not good.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #23
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I stick with the basics. 3 minutes a side per inch of thickness, little montreal seasoning ground in, HP if you need sauce. That's all I got.
We have a winnar - close the thread!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #24
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Oil doesn't belong on steaks. If the steak doesn't have enough marbelization in the first place to prevent sticking, then it ain't a proper steak .

Oh... and always get the steaks from the meat counter... the prepackaged... not the best.

hhhmm, not sure about this one...Costco meat technically is 'prepackaged' and you cannot 'beat their meat'
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #25
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Why is "how to best prepare a steak" only information for the summer? Steaks need to be prepared well all year round.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #26
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

let steak soak in a simple brine w/ a shot of whiskey or rum for an hour or two in the fridge. remove from fridge and let it come to room temp...maybe an hour. drain brine and season the meat.

place on very hot grill, turning only once. cook it to the temp you like, but i recommend rare to medium rare.
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
I prefer rib steaks.
steaks need a little bit of fat in them in order to have them tender.
Make your grill nice and hot.
sear steaks on both sides (keeps the juices in), then cook evenly on each side. I prefer 5-8 minutes each side depending on the size of the steak.
I use Garlic plus for my seasoning. A little bit on each side.

I have also used just plain garlic and rock salt with black ground pepper on the steaks, equally as tasty.
So far, this is the closest recommendation to what I have.

First of all, YES we have awesome beef here, but DON'T be afraid to marinate it for a change, or for the better!!!

AAA rib steaks from Costco are my norm. Heck, I will buy a whole rib and cut it up to keep costs down (and I usually get better marbling anyway).

During the summer, Costco has a "Rice Road" brand of teryaki sauce. I use this as the main base for marination. Put enough in a zip lock bag to cover all the meat that you intend to marinate. Add about a sixth of that in bbq sauce (or even less, just a flavourer....pick your flavour). Add a dollop (tablespoon FULL or so) of course (whole grain) mustard and a minced clove of garlic per steak. Marinade over night.

Now for cooking, you need to know your grill. For ME, I get the grill to 400, oil it well (canola) then put on the steaks at an 2/8 o'clock angle. After 3 minutes, I rotate them to a 10/4 o'clock angle. Makes great diamond shape seer marks.

After another 3 minutes I flip them (2/8 angle, then another 3 minutes until a rotation to 10/4 angle).

Now this is dependent on many things, but a good basis to start.

The thicker the meat, the rarer it will be, likewise the thinner the meat the more done it will be. I am talking about 3/4 to one inch steaks here in my timing.

KNOW YOUR BBQ!!!! If you haven't flipped your steaks after the first rotation and they are smoking big time... oooopps, you are TOO HOT. In this version, smoking is an indication to perform the next turn/flip.

All I can say is try this recipe. No one has disliked it yet.

Can I copyright this?
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As far as sauce goes............this thread begins and ends with Cattleboyz BBQ sauce......
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote