Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Awesome work.

Hopefully ill be able to contribute something next year.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting read. I started to print it off at work but quickly pressed cancel when the skimpy girls started popping up! You should have put NSFW in the title!
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks good guys but I think there is a name missing from the first post - Joe Schum. Great job getting this together and I am convinced CPHL is lucky to have you part of it.

Last edited by BagoPucks; 09-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

This is fantastic work and I particular enjoyed the read about the history of the CPHL. Yes there was a time when a few us would bet CPHL assets on games of pool - KG would usually walk away with the winnings.

I lost a game to Drew and at stake was Curtis Glencross who at the time was a no-name Ducks prospect I had signed. For years after we would joke about him - until all of a sudden he actually ended up in the NHL (to the shock of both of us).

That was over 5 years ago now - time flies.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Pointy's obsession with trying to prove that Erik Rasmussen was one of the best players in the league.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Knut

Exp:

It is a fantastic read. I think it provides some insight into how other people see your own team as well.

I enjoyed Dave's writeup about the history of the league very much.

Great work Joe.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Interesting read. I started to print it off at work but quickly pressed cancel when the skimpy girls started popping up! You should have put NSFW in the title!
Haha. sorry but thats the best part.

BTW, Dave's article was all him. He wanted to release separately and I had to convince him to do put it as a part of this, thanks to Dave for letting me use it.

Last edited by Da_Chief; 09-20-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
JiriHrdina

Exp:

A couple of other comments regarding some items

"I haven’t brought this forward or discussed it with any
other GM but perhaps we could implement a poll
every week leading up to the season requesting the
opinion of GMs concerning certain topics; ie. certain
rules, roster limits, cap, UFA age, grids, cheese, ratings,
etc. My position is that these threads remain closed to
comments and are only open to voting, I find that in
discussion too many GMs are concerned about rocking
the boat and stay on the fence; a closed and
anonymous poll might be more telling. Not looking
for anything to change; I think it might be an
interesting social experiment to see where the majority
truly lies on different topics."

I am open to this - I think we as a league try to be very open to taking feedback but I also think we as commissioners have a different view point. Often when rules are changed (or not changed) it is in consideration of the big picture. Something that is perceived to be small can have a dramatic impact on overall game play. Moreover, though there are always changes we've tried to mitigate how much disruption we make to the game. More and more GMs are planning long-term so making rule changes can throw their plans into the crapper. If there are specific issues people want polls on we can do it - but that doesn't mean we would follow the results of the poll.

"I have talked to Cheese and a bunch
of other GMs about the layout of the league. I
!
know the website for CPHL is all automatic, like
the trade values the technology is a moving target
and compared to what else is offered out there
CPHL is behind."

We are aware of this and actually did quite a bit of consideration this summer to switching how our site is managed to use the portal system that is available. The reality though is that there is significant risk involved in doing that - there is a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes with our database and what not, and a great deal of it allows us to manage the league in a relatively efficient manner. It may not be purdy - but it works. I think the priority has to be the game itself and avoiding any disruption to the game (simming, roster maintenance, lines, financials, etc)....which is why we made the decision to stick with what we have.

If there is a way to bring our site more up to speed we are open to it - but it must take into account the entirety of the league's online systems, not just the site itself. That's where things get complicated. But if someone wants to take the bull by the horns and provide us with a complete implementation plan for a new site - have at it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks to everyone's hard work that went into this.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flickered Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #29
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow, fantastic job everyone. Seriously, this was a really well put-together package.

I only wish I had this Jack Skinner kid on my team. I hear he might win Rookie of the Year!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #30
SweetDoc
Retired at own request

Exp:

WOW! Finally had a chance to read the preview and it's absolutely amazing! Good work putting this all together Joe, I know projects like this can be difficult to handle because you need the help of others and you have to trust they will be able to meet deadlines while they have their own busy schedules to deal with.

Huge thanks to Joe and everyone who helped with this project!

I think the work Dave provided was incredible and insightful. Also enjoyed what Nick wrote and have to agree 100% that watching NHL games has been much more entertaining and fun since I've joined the CPHL.

Can I spend my $50 now?
SweetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I've linked this to our home page now so it is easier to download.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDoc View Post
WOW! Finally had a chance to read the preview and it's absolutely amazing! Good work putting this all together Joe, I know projects like this can be difficult to handle because you need the help of others and you have to trust they will be able to meet deadlines while they have their own busy schedules to deal with.

Huge thanks to Joe and everyone who helped with this project!

I think the work Dave provided was incredible and insightful. Also enjoyed what Nick wrote and have to agree 100% that watching NHL games has been much more entertaining and fun since I've joined the CPHL.

Can I spend my $50 now?
Spend away.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #33
mbeauchamp76
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great work everyone!!!

Loved to hear about the history of the league
mbeauchamp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #34
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, really impressive guys.

And sorry Dave I couldn't add to the history story. Just been too damn busy with work.

Some things I would have brought up:

The pool games at The Hideout. It's true, we would bet on games and I was usually the winner. I remember when I won all that cap (I think it was 10 mill) and when Dave found out he was pretty pissed, though I don't think he said anything directly to me lol.

THE Brian Holzinger. Back in the day I wrote some pretty epic stories on my favorite player at the time. The one with the fight at the team luncheon was my favorite, I wonder if its still in the board archives.

Pointy was quite the villain around here. Not just for the Rassmusen BS but just in general, he really got under my (and a lot of other people's) skin. I don't have any hard feelings now though, I think he's a great guy.

The game I played Claude Lapointe for the entire game, I had him at LW in every situation. LOL. I know it stemmed from the Rassmusen stuff but I can't remember why I did it. I hyped it up for about a week and, if I recall, he only played about 28 minutes, which was a huge letdown.

Noob rape was a big thrill too. Before the League approved noobie deals it was open season and there was some serious rapes that happened. Poor noobs.

OH, another favorite was Abstract missing DiPietro on his protected list for the expansion draft. Mike got wind of it (I think one of us told him, I don't think he noticed) and with the SECOND pick in the expansion draft he got a starting goalie. That was crazy.

But my favorite part has been the friends I have made. I've really had the pleasure of becoming good friends with plenty of GMs over the years and I'm very thankful for that. And many that I've hung out with in real life, to this day even.

If I think of anymore stories I'll post them here.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #35
SweetDoc
Retired at own request

Exp:

I'm going to put $50 on me to get 1st!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #36
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres no 1st...its odds for cup win or finish last.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #37
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
OH, another favorite was Abstract missing DiPietro on his protected list for the expansion draft. Mike got wind of it (I think one of us told him, I don't think he noticed) and with the SECOND pick in the expansion draft he got a starting goalie. That was crazy.
I think Mike was the one that noticed. I remember he asked me on MSN one night if there was any players missing from the lists that I could see. When I told him I couldn't he revealed that Dipietro wasn't on there....so then it was just a matter of waiting to see if Abstract would notice before the draft.

There's been some bad controversies over the years too

Just 2 years ago we had a GM try to tank the season for a higher pick. He had a great team but a couple GMs noticed he was icing horrible line-ups - even starting an AHL quality goalie every game. He had a playoff quality team but cared more about getting a higher pick.

We also had a GM that decided to quit but before he did - he pulled off a deal with a GM to send him some of his best players for next to nothing. The deal was processed because we didn't know something was up but when he suddenly quit we had to reverse the trade.

Early in my time with the CPHL for some reason I became obsessed with reminding people that "The Wild have no interest in Roman Chechmanek". I was trying to find what started all of that in the archives and could only uncover a couple of posts:

"The Wild would also like to wish everyone a happy Chinese New Year...except for Roman Chechmanek...who the Wild have no interest in."

"One more thing- at this point the Wild have no interest in Tom Thomas, or Tim Thomas or whatever his name is. For that matter, Steve Thomas also doesn't interest as much. Thomas Vanek though does. And you all know how we feel about Roman Chechmanek. There - that should all be clear now."

Boy that last one is a beauty. Great talent evaluation Grant.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
We also had a GM that decided to quit but before he did - he pulled off a deal with a GM to send him some of his best players for next to nothing. The deal was processed because we didn't know something was up but when he suddenly quit we had to reverse the trade.
Ha, I guess enough time has passed that I can admit that JohnnyFlame did me a similar favour. He knew he was going to quit and I remember he messaged me on MSN and said something like "If there are any players on my roster you want send me any offer and I'll accept it." And, in my defense, things were run way more run and gun back then (like the noob rapes).

As for Mike, I guess he'll remember for sure. And if he was the one that noticed he should get credit, for some reason I thought it was me or noob or someone that told him.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #39
SweetDoc
Retired at own request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Theres no 1st...its odds for cup win or finish last.
You know what I meant foo!

Fitty on the cup for the Kings.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #40
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

50 on the Jets finishing dead last
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote