Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #121
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh? I was looking for solutions, not to hurt her. Sorry if you think going with 3 hours sleep is a sacrifice I should make.

Anyway, she is having issues with the mask fitting, took it off halfway through last night. Sliver, you say the full face one works well? I'll suggest she gives that a try. She has a small head and the smallest nose one is to big, and for some reason doesn't have adjustable straps. Do the full face ones? It's for a resmed unit. In the meantime might try the theravent with an O2 monitor and see how that works.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #122
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to use the full face. More comfortable for me and I'm a mouth breather when I sleep. But I'm very used to using full face respirators etc.

The mask is a very personal fit type thing. Some masks designs simply will not work for a person. You have to do a fitting and try many different types and settle on the one that seals and is most comfortable.

The full face ones do have adjustment straps but the trick is finding the one you don't need to completely press hard against your face to seal. You don't want marks on your face that take until lunch to go away. You can get some cloth liners to absorb sweat and lessens marks but in practice I feel these cause the mask to slip more and you end up with loose fabric flapping around tickling your skin.

Also it is not unusual to remove the mask during the night when first getting used to the CPAP. This will likely happen quite often the first month or so and then gradually taper off. It is noticeably hotter and your half awake self will very quickly say "screw this and take it off" but you get over it.

The other person in the bed will also get used to it...your 3 hours sleep won't last long. You to will get used to the noise and air and when you do you will also notice how much better your sleep is not having someone beside you constantly moving, waking etc.

Last edited by ernie; 07-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said, the noise is 1 million times better since I moved it off the night stand. I think the pump was reverberating through the stand and the bed. So not an issue for me anymore, though I'll have to build something as the ghetto 2 cardboard box/bubble wrap is not going to cut it long term. I'm not sure my sleep will change at all from before CPAP as she never really had issues through the night. The difference will be she gets a better night rest and is able to help me do dishes!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #124
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Like I said, the noise is 1 million times better since I moved it off the night stand. I think the pump was reverberating through the stand and the bed. So not an issue for me anymore, though I'll have to build something as the ghetto 2 cardboard box/bubble wrap is not going to cut it long term. I'm not sure my sleep will change at all from before CPAP as she never really had issues through the night. The difference will be she gets a better night rest and is able to help me do dishes!
Just be aware that the air comes in the back at the bottom of those units, so I would think you don't want to restrict that flow.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #125
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Perhaps. My wife believed the same thing. That she had a good nights sleep and I didn't really wake etc etc etc. Hell I assumed my sleep was normal as it was all I knew. She will readily admit she was wrong. If my recollection of the thread is accurate if your wifes O2 levels were dropping then she wasn't having a good sleep and likely waking, moving an awful lot even if she and you don't consciously notice it. Likely waking in a panic here and there (even if she doesn't remember) and waking in the morning with slight nausea. I've been there. It sucks...and suck even more than I went 25 years thinking that was somehow normal. It's why you do the test with electrodes on your arms and legs etc (or at least my test did) as movement is an indicator of how well you are sleeping.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just be aware that the air comes in the back at the bottom of those units, so I would think you don't want to restrict that flow.
Ya, I checked and it comes through the side. I don't close the box, it's a wine box so just set inside.

I'll check her printouts form the sleep clinic and see how much it says she is moving. I think she only had one instance of O2 at 80%, the other lows were around 85-90. When we tested the home O2 unit there was one 80% as well.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #127
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You don't believe what I'm selling, yet the machine has improved your quality of life and even though nobody is forcing you to wear it, you choose to wear it because the benefits outweigh the negatives? I'm pretty sure you are, in fact, buying what I'm selling.
Where did I question it's health benefits? I said that your comment that people will just get used to it is not accurate. I've had it two years and I hate every single second of it, and know of many other people in the same boat.

I hate the mask, absolutely can't stand wearing it. I'm pretty much stuck with it though because I am a complete mouth breather.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #128
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where do you guys buy CPAP supplies online that's Canadian?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #129
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't used them, but the prices look reasonable from this site:

http://canadacpapsupply.com/
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #130
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Where did I question it's health benefits? I said that your comment that people will just get used to it is not accurate. I've had it two years and I hate every single second of it, and know of many other people in the same boat.

I hate the mask, absolutely can't stand wearing it. I'm pretty much stuck with it though because I am a complete mouth breather.
I don't think anyone enjoys wearing the mask or gets entirely used to it, but it does become tolerable. When I first got my BiPap I couldn't even keep it on for hour before losing my mind, but now I get a good 5+ hours in a night on it. Do I enjoy actually having that hot windy rubber vag on my face? Or the awful bloating in the morning? The dry mouth and god awful taste? Absolutely not, but I do feel proud of myself when I get through a full night with it on
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #131
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
I don't think anyone enjoys wearing the mask or gets entirely used to it, but it does become tolerable. When I first got my BiPap I couldn't even keep it on for hour before losing my mind, but now I get a good 5+ hours in a night on it. Do I enjoy actually having that hot windy rubber vag on my face? Or the awful bloating in the morning? The dry mouth and god awful taste? Absolutely not, but I do feel proud of myself when I get through a full night with it on
Dry mouth? Maybe you need to crank up your humidifier settings. These machines can pump almost
a cup of water a night into you.

God awful taste? Are you properly cleaning your machine? I clean my mask every morning with soap and clean my hose with soap 1-2 times per week. It's completely odourless and tasteless. You absolutely have an issue if yours has a taste let alone a God awful one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #132
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always run out of water at some point during the night. I really wish the water wells were a lot bigger.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #133
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never used the water. I go dry.

Thanks for the recommendation for the online sales site.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #134
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I always run out of water at some point during the night. I really wish the water wells were a lot bigger.
Yeah I have to fill mine up every night. Maybe it's because Calgary is so dry? Total pita.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #135
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am guessing that some of you can't adjust the humidity levels on your machine?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #136
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am guessing that some of you can't adjust the humidity levels on your machine?
The size of the reservoir makes a big difference, too, though. My humidity level is adjustable. My last machine had a way bigger reservoir that I'd only fill up a couple of times per week. Now I can slurp through the whole thing in a night, although it usually can go two if I'm lucky.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #137
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Dry mouth? Maybe you need to crank up your humidifier settings. These machines can pump almost

God awful taste? Are you properly cleaning your machine? I clean my mask every morning with soap and clean my hose with soap 1-2 times per week. It's completely odourless and tasteless. You absolutely have an issue if yours has a taste let alone a God awful one.
Baby wipes, man.
I found that soap and water turned turned the rubber on the mask yellow and caused it to degrade quicker.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #138
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I crank my water settings to max, don't let it run out, and still get dry mouth. I tend to be a mouth breather in my sleep. As for the taste, it's only the mornings when I get severe dry mouth. My mouth and tongue gets a gross layer of scuzz which has the taste. It doesn't matter how often I clean the hose/mask or how many times I brush my teeth before bed
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #139
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
I crank my water settings to max, don't let it run out, and still get dry mouth. I tend to be a mouth breather in my sleep. As for the taste, it's only the mornings when I get severe dry mouth. My mouth and tongue gets a gross layer of scuzz which has the taste. It doesn't matter how often I clean the hose/mask or how many times I brush my teeth before bed
same issues here... it sucks
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #140
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you need a prescription for a CPAP, or can you just go buy one off the shelf.

I think i'd like to try one.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote