Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Flames1848
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Utah Grizzlies

How long will they be our farmteam? I think we cooperate with them from year to year. Am i right?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1848 View Post
How long will they be our farmteam? I think we cooperate with them from year to year. Am i right?
I'm not entirely sure what the deal is there. In fact, the Flames are lucky to have an ECHL affiliate because some team either don't have one or have to share one.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Flames1848
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yes. I think too that it ís very good to have an own ECHL affiliate. Would be very nice to know if they work together next season too...

And the Grizzlies have a very good homepage and newssite :-D
Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with the Grizzlies it is an independent club and we are allowed to have a certain number of roster spots, really no different than sharing an ECHL affiliate IMO
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I think with the Grizzlies it is an independent club and we are allowed to have a certain number of roster spots, really no different than sharing an ECHL affiliate IMO
I think you meant to type AHL instead of ECHL.

But you're half right. Some of the NHL teams don't own their AHL affiliates and some do. The Flames own the Heat and aren't an independent team, whereas the Canucks don't own the Wolves and are an independent team.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I think you meant to type AHL instead of ECHL.

But you're half right. Some of the NHL teams don't own their AHL affiliates and some do. The Flames own the Heat and aren't an independent team, whereas the Canucks don't own the Wolves and are an independent team.
no I meant ECHL. the guy previously said it was better than sharing an ECHL team and I was just saying the Grizzlies only give us a small number of roster spots so it wouldn't matter if we were sharing them or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no I meant ECHL. the guy previously said it was better than sharing an ECHL team and I was just saying the Grizzlies only give us a small number of roster spots so it wouldn't matter if we were sharing them or not.
Ah I gotcha.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just like the fact that we have Flames prospects developing with Flames prospects, not with other team's property. Probably doesn't have much of an effect.

I just hated it when we had to share the Heat with the Ducks organization for a year in their inaugural season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Ah I gotcha.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just like the fact that we have Flames prospects developing with Flames prospects, not with other team's property. Probably doesn't have much of an effect.

I just hated it when we had to share the Heat with the Ducks organization for a year in their inaugural season.
we shared the Heat with the Ducks? I don't remember this
Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
we shared the Heat with the Ducks? I don't remember this
we didn't exactly share the farmteam with them, but some Ducks prospects were loaned to Abbotsford (I remember Mitera for example). This was the season when the Ducks had no AHL affiliate because the Iowa Chops were suspended. The Ducks prospects then had to play in the ECHL or were loaned to other AHL clubs, including Abbotsford, San Antonio, Texas and Toronto.

Last edited by devo22; 07-21-2012 at 07:19 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
we didn't exactly share the farmteam with them, but some Ducks prospects were loaned to Abbotsford (I remember Mitera for example). This was the season when the Ducks had no AHL affiliate because the Iowa Chops were suspended. The Ducks prospects then had to play in the ECHL or were loaned to other AHL clubs, including Abbotsford, San Antonio, Texas and Toronto.
I remembered a couple guys being loaned later in the season, I think Mitiera and MacMillan (before we acquired him) were the only two though and I am pretty sure both were loaned to the Heat after the midway point of the season when they got decimated by injuries. If memory serves me they also brought in Latendresse (the lesser brother), Rheault and Delmore to help the Heat as well because of the injuries.