Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2024, 12:00 PM   #21
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spanish Rice
Warm Roasted Potato and Green Bean Salad
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Cedar Plank Salmon

Creamy Mac and Cheese- this won me first place and $500 USD in a dairy farmers of America cooking contest

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 04-20-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:04 PM   #22
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would you ruin chocolate cake with zucchini...you monster
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:08 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baked beans. They’re requested (demanded) at family gatherings. I have two secret ingredients that my son has made me promise to reveal to him on my deathbed or in my will.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:24 PM   #24
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chicken katsu burritos lately. But my my most requested is rouladen with mashed potatoes and cucumber tomato salad.

Great thread.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 04-20-2024 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Addition
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:58 PM   #25
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Paprika chicken and dumplings. Among many others, but its my fav.

How many different meals do you all have in the rotation of what you make? I have about 30 or so. Then some much less frequent ones. And the occasional 'I made it once and it sucked/wasnt tasty/took too long'
You must be Hungarian, paprika chicken is a favourite among the Hungarians!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #26
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One grandmother who was and she loved to cook.
Its delicious. And theres at least 3 different levels to make it too. Quick without dumplings, served with noodles or rice. Then with dumplings. Or slowcooked all day with all the fixings.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 01:45 PM   #27
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Kasespaetzle.
Gesundheit.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:50 PM   #28
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stuffed Bell Peppers, I core them out and make a Beef/Rice/Onion filling and stuff them with a dollop of cream cheese in the middle and top with cheese and bake
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:37 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm a fricken god when it comes to pealing the foil off of the dessert on a Swanson's TV dinner and cooking the dinner perfectly in the microwave.

I'm also considered to be the great next culinary god because I can make opening a box of wine look classy baby.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:38 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Baked beans. They’re requested (demanded) at family gatherings. I have two secret ingredients that my son has made me promise to reveal to him on my deathbed or in my will.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #31
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Chicken wings in Korean Angry Sauce (gochujang paste, ginger, garlic, honey, soya and rice vinegar).
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:50 PM   #32
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I only recently started cooking when I moved back to North America (it's too easy to get delicious cheap food in Asia to bother with cooking).

Turns out I can bake! My cookies in particular are awesome, though, really all I'm doing is following the America's Test Kitchen recipes.

Edit: here's the recipe.

Soft and Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies

The key is taking the cookies out of the oven while they still look underdone, this gives them the chewiness.

Ingredients
1/3 cup (71 g) granulated sugar
2 1/4 cup (319 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but cool
1/3 cup (71g) packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (170 g) molasses (light or dark)

Details
Measure molasses in liquid measuring cup. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time. Cookies baked on the bottom rack won't develop the attractive cracks. Cookies should look slightly under-baked when removed from the oven.

Steps
  1. Adjust oven rack to middle postion and heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup sugar for dipping in a bowl or pan.
  2. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, salt in medium bowl until thoroughly combined, set aside.
  3. Beat butter with brown and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, if using stand mixer, use paddle attachment and medium-high speed (3 minutes). Reduce speed to medium-low, and add yolk & vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated (20 seconds). Reduce speed to lowest setting; add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated (30 seconds). Give dough a final stir with rubber spatula to ensure no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Dough will be soft. (all of this can be done with just a rubber spatula and a bowl, you don't need a stand mixer).
  4. Scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll between palms into a ball; drop the ball into the bowl of sugar, toss to coat, set on prepared baking sheet, spacing balls about 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
  5. Bake 1 sheet at a time for about 11 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cookies should be browned, still puffy, edges have begun to set, but centres are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone). Do not over-bake.
  6. Cool cookies on baking sheet about 5 minutes. Use wide metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temp and serve!

Last edited by driveway; 04-21-2024 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Adding recipe
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 02:51 PM   #33
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm a fricken god when it comes to pealing the foil off of the dessert on a Swanson's TV dinner and cooking the dinner perfectly in the microwave.

I'm also considered to be the great next culinary god because I can make opening a box of wine look classy baby.
I bought a box of wine yesterday. The clerk told me “ when the box is empty and you feel sleepy, you can take out the inner bag and blow it up for a pillow.”

Same anecdotes must be shared whether they are relevant or not.

My campfire steaks never go uneaten.
Geraldsh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 04:43 PM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do all the cooking in our household.

The specialty I make most of the time are cabbage rolls (Polish and Ukrainian varieties). Out of all the things I make, it's the one I am most proud of because my friends and sister usually get me to make them around holidays and they actually stand-up to the ones my mother and baba used to make. I learned through trial and error that you don't want a cabbage that is too hard or under ripe. It took a long for me to master it and figure out the perfect recipe. Dill is the secret ingredient, which I actually learned from Jenny Jones... lol. If you like Polish food, she has some great recipes.

I also make a lot of meat loaf. I like making meat loaf because it is really easy, versatile, and you can get a few good meals without needing to invest a lot of time. There are so many different combinations, but the process is pretty much always the same. I recommend this a lot of my younger friends who go out a lot to eat or are intimidated my cooking. I also make a lot of homemade hamburgers, usually with the left over meat that doesn't fit into the meat loaf. Again, dill is the trick.

A couple of times a month, I will also make a big pot of soup in the slow cooker. The one I make the most often is vegetable chowder with bacon.

For day-to-day, I typically stick to pretty easy stuff, like marinated pork chops and chicken. I learned to make my own marinades with the most common ingredients being apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, pepper, honey, dark soy sauce, garlic, and Italian herbs.

I also make a Chinese style fried rice quite often, it's a good way to use up extra rice in the fridge before it goes bad.

A few times a year, if I can find ground lamb on sale, I make homemade ćevapčići. It's hard to find kajmak where I live though, but I have a stockpile in my freezer for now. I recommend Macedonian ajvar.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-20-2024 at 11:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 05:20 PM   #35
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Spanish Rice
Warm Roasted Potato and Green Bean Salad
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Cedar Plank Salmon

Creamy Mac and Cheese- this won me first place and $500 USD in a dairy farmers of America cooking contest
Ya, I certainly wouldn’t want to know about that recipe.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 05:40 PM   #36
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a strong interest in cooking ever since I was young as my father is a trained chef, while my mother is an amazing home cook, so I appreciated great food as a child and appreciated the effort put into great meals and started learning from a young age. I have a few dishes I lean on that I've adjusted over the years that I enjoy a lot.

Chinese: Roasted pork belly (with the crispy skin), Barbecue pork (like the ones you see hanging at the window at the Chinese bbq shops next to the roasted pork belly), mapo tofu, Cantonese style steamed fish, "white cut" poached chicken, prawn and egg, classic Cantonese soups.

Italian: Cacio e pepe, aglio e olio, spaghetti alla puttasnesca, ossobuco.

Western: a variety of pan-fried meats (steaks/pork chops) with some sort of reduced pan sauce depending on my taste that day.

Love cooking and one of my go-to activities to relax and unwind. Really enjoy cooking for my friends which happens usually 2-3 times a month.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 05:49 PM   #37
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’ve got a bunch, to be honest, but the main one is pizza. It’s gotten to the point where we can’t order pizza because it’s a letdown compared to mine. Which isn’t the brag it might seem to be, because you just want to chill and take it easy by ordering in…well that option has all but disappeared! (I don’t use any of the Door Dash, Uber Wats or Skip because it’s a complete ripoff).
What time do I show up for dinner? I love homemade pizza
Old 04-20-2024, 09:53 PM   #38
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I do all the cooking in our household.

The specialty I make most of the time are cabbage rolls (Polish and Ukrainian varieties). Out of all the things I make, it's the one I am most proud of because my friends and sister usually get me to make them around holidays and they actually stand-up to the ones my mother and baba used to make. I learned through trial and error that you don't want a cabbage that is too hard or under ripe. It took a long for me to master it and figure out the perfect recipe. Dill is the secret ingredient, which I actually learned from Jenny Jones... lol. If you like Polish food, she has some great recipes.

I also make a lot of meat loaf. I like making meat load because it is really easy, versatile, and you can get a few good meals without needing to invest a lot of time. There are so many different combinations, but the process is pretty much always the same. I recommend this a lot of my younger friends who go out a lot to eat or are intimidated my cooking. I also make a lot of homemade hamburgers, usually with the left over meat that doesn't fit into the meat loaf. Again, dill is the trick.

A couple of times a month, I will also make a big pot of soup in the slow cooker. The one I make the most often is vegetable chowder with bacon.

For day-to-day, I typically stick to pretty easy stuff, like marinated pork chops and chicken. I am learned to make my own marinades with the most common ingredient being apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, pepper, honey, dark soy sauce, garlic, and Italian herbs.

I also make a Chinese style fried rice quite often, it's a good way to use up extra rice in the fridge before it goes bad.

A few time a year, if I can find ground lamb on sale, I make homemade ćevapčići. It's hard to find kajmak where I live though, but I have a stockpile in my freezer for now. I recommend Macedonian ajvar.

i've gotta ask about the meatloaf.... when you serve it, is it out of the pan, cut and serve? that's how my mom always used to do it. then in my restaurant days we'd make meatloaf, but the slices were grilled on both sides before being served - wow!! what a game changer - having that sear on both sides! on man! so good!
Old 04-20-2024, 11:07 PM   #39
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I’ve been working on is my shredded hash browns. I followed a recipe for frying them in oil and it worked wonderfully. I had them completely dialed in but I wanted to switch from frying in oil to air frying simply to lower the calories. Well air frying dehydrated the hash browns more than frying them. They were edible but not great.

Gonna keep messing around to get my hash browns at a good place in the air fryer but yeah, buyer beware, air fryer hash browns aren’t quite as good
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:15 PM   #40
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i've gotta ask about the meatloaf.... when you serve it, is it out of the pan, cut and serve? that's how my mom always used to do it. then in my restaurant days we'd make meatloaf, but the slices were grilled on both sides before being served - wow!! what a game changer - having that sear on both sides! on man! so good!
Right out of the pan. Never thought about grilling it after, but thanks for the idea. I will definitely try that.

Tags
cooking , skillz