Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Casual Summer Sports?

Looks like this'll be the best way to find what I'm looking for:

After the Winter Semester ends, I'm looking to finally get active again by going out and joining something to get my body moving. Only issues are that I have a bit of a hectic schedule still, working part time at least 3 times a week, as well as volunteering for 4 hours once a week.

Main reason why I never bothered with anything during the semester in UofC. Not to mention, I've tried working out for a couple months, but I just don't have the intrinsic push to keep it up and trying to work my impossible schedule around my friends' is well...impossible. Not to mention, boring. To me, mind numbing to keep up for a longer period of time.

So if anybody has some suggestions as to community programs for the "young" adult, ideally located in the SW area (read Signal Hill/Richmond Hill/Westhills)

Also, looking at some Westside programs as it is, but seeing if there's any other options out there that I'm not aware of.
Thanks ahead of time.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have you tried, Quidditch?

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Have you tried, Quidditch?

Was interested, but when I first saw it being started up on Campus for the first time, the most I could do was laugh.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

CP Ball Hockey. Signal Hill.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Only issues are that I have a bit of a hectic schedule still, working part time at least 3 times a week, as well as volunteering for 4 hours once a week.

This is considered hectic by kids today ...
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell us more stories, grandpa.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alberta is pretty good for windsurfing and kiteboarding. Probably not for the OP but others chasing the thread title might be interested. Bob's best bet and highasakite.ca are good places to start. Best way to learn is a vacation solely dedicated to practising with a good rental fleet, instructors and WIND. With both sports you can experience carving, planing, surfing, high speed and huge air time. Kite boarding is easier to learn and can be simpler in terms of getting out to the lake with your gear. It is more dangerous but newer kite designs are improving things. Both sports take more than a minor commitment to really start enjoying. Strength and fitness help but skill and experience are 90% of the factor - old men and 100 lb girls can sail circles around anyone with less experience.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Disc Golf. Not a lot of course in Calgary but the Bowness one is getting new tee boxes. Theres one in Parkland but its private so you have to climb the fence, but I've never been asked for my pass. Theres also a 9-hole course in forest lawn.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about Tennis? It can be a great 'Drop in and play' sport and there is plethora of great courts in the area. There are camps/lessons throughout the city.

I would also strongly advocate buying a half-decent bicycle. Explore your community/city, run some errands, and get some exercise while you're at it. Can be brilliant fun or a helluva workout - depends on what you want that day. Similar comments for inline skating.

Overall though - CP Ball Hockey is where its at.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Join slo pitch teams who play in and around optimist park...
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I could use a couple more players for my summer hockey league team. Non contact, weekday evenings in the CAHL, $250 per player. D/E divisions.

If anyone is interested fire me a PM.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ultimate Frisbee bro!
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agree with Wilson on the bicycle. Being able to turn my daily commute into a workout is really the best way for me to get regular exercise.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just look up Calgary Sport and Social Club. Pretty much pick one night a week you want to play and then pick your sport. Personally I like kickball...it's like softball only easier with more drinking.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Only issues are that I have a bit of a hectic schedule still, working part time at least 3 times a week, as well as volunteering for 4 hours once a week.

This is considered hectic by kids today ...
That's not a fair comment trout, you need a solid 4-5 free days a week to play Skyrim. Three just ain't going to cut it.

I pray he doesn't burn himself out.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Disc Golf. Not a lot of course in Calgary but the Bowness one is getting new tee boxes. Theres one in Parkland but its private so you have to climb the fence, but I've never been asked for my pass. Theres also a 9-hole course in forest lawn.
and you can make road trips to canmore and other places.

cheap to start ($100 if your fussy) and you can play by yourtself but there is usually alot of people that play.

should have a CP disc golf night.... i suck too
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wanted to ask for a while, what is the skill level for the CP ball hockey at Signal Hill? I mean, I have no skills whatsoever and can't run for crying out loud, will I be still accepted?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
Alberta is pretty good for windsurfing and kiteboarding. Probably not for the OP but others chasing the thread title might be interested. Bob's best bet and highasakite.ca are good places to start. Best way to learn is a vacation solely dedicated to practising with a good rental fleet, instructors and WIND. With both sports you can experience carving, planing, surfing, high speed and huge air time. Kite boarding is easier to learn and can be simpler in terms of getting out to the lake with your gear. It is more dangerous but newer kite designs are improving things. Both sports take more than a minor commitment to really start enjoying. Strength and fitness help but skill and experience are 90% of the factor - old men and 100 lb girls can sail circles around anyone with less experience.
Very cool. I'm actually taking my first kiteboarding lesson next month. Can't wait!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I wanted to ask for a while, what is the skill level for the CP ball hockey at Signal Hill? I mean, I have no skills whatsoever and can't run for crying out loud, will I be still accepted?
Only been once but had a lot of fun. Skill level isn't a real factor, I'm a leg amputee and was able to get around and contribute ok.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
meanmachine13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

After being out from hockey with an injury for the past 5 months, I am looking to get into some sort of summer sport. I noticed someone talked about that sport and social club. Any one else have any experience with this? Recommend any specific sports to try?!
meanmachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote