Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #481
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It's not on par with The Martian which was an amazing novel, but it's a decent read so far. I had give up on a few books in a row and needed something lighter. Artemis is fitting the need well.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #482
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It's not on par with The Martian which was an amazing novel, but it's a decent read so far. I had give up on a few books in a row and needed something lighter. Artemis is fitting the need well.
I'm in the exact same boat of a string of meh books after I had read like 10 in a row outstanding ones. Grabbed this last night on your recommendation and enjoyed the first two chapters so far. Thanks.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #483
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Halfway through and really enjoying:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #484
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Whole trilogy is highly recommended
I just read on IGN that the makers of assassins creed are trying to buy the rights. Can you expand on what you thought of the trilogy? I'm thinking of picking it up.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:33 AM   #485
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I just read on IGN that the makers of assassins creed are trying to buy the rights. Can you expand on what you thought of the trilogy? I'm thinking of picking it up.
It definitely lends itself to book form. The concepts would be hard to convey in a movie or a video game. It was a very interesting take on Alien life in the galaxy and how they would handle lower tech species.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #486
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to read two fantastic books on the Mexican drug cartels and war on drugs, Don Winslow's Power of the Dog and The Cartel are utterly fantastic. Both are fiction novels though they take some inspiration from real life.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #487
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
If anyone wants to read two fantastic books on the Mexican drug cartels and war on drugs, Don Winslow's Power of the Dog and The Cartel are utterly fantastic. Both are fiction novels though they take some inspiration from real life.
I agree. I just finished The Cartel and started The Force today.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #488
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Cold War A military history, edited by Robert Cowley.

A collection of essays around the 50 year confrontation between the Soviet Union and the United States.

Really a very good book to read if you're into modern days history.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #489
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing new with this, but reading The Stand for the first time since I was about 19, and boy it is just a masterpiece. Maybe my strong reaction is in part because I am coming off Origins by Dan Brown (ugh), but also because the more recent King works just dont come close. I know there was a lot of praise for 11/22/63, but I was not as big a fan as others around here.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #490
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Nothing new with this, but reading The Stand for the first time since I was about 19, and boy it is just a masterpiece. Maybe my strong reaction is in part because I am coming off Origins by Dan Brown (ugh), but also because the more recent King works just dont come close. I know there was a lot of praise for 11/22/63, but I was not as big a fan as others around here.
Are you reading the original version or the extended version, which is a monster book but so much better, especially the story of the Trashcan man and the Kid, which I don't think was in the original.

Can you believe that Happy Crappy Trashie?

And yeah, except for the scene where the Man in Black gets his, this is clearly King's Masterwork and so many books came out of this core story.

The Dark Tower Series for example.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #491
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Are you reading the original version or the extended version, which is a monster book but so much better, especially the story of the Trashcan man and the Kid, which I don't think was in the original.

Can you believe that Happy Crappy Trashie?

And yeah, except for the scene where the Man in Black gets his, this is clearly King's Masterwork and so many books came out of this core story.

The Dark Tower Series for example.
Ya, on the extended version set in 1990 with all the updated 80s pop culture and historical references.

I am almost halfway through and have read the trashcan man intro chapter, but havent come around yet to the significance of his character introduction- although I am assuming and recalling that he teams up with Flagg in Vegas.

Just at the point where they are fleeing Nebraska for Colorado.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #492
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Ya, on the extended version set in 1990 with all the updated 80s pop culture and historical references.

I am almost halfway through and have read the trashcan man intro chapter, but havent come around yet to the significance of his character introduction- although I am assuming and recalling that he teams up with Flagg in Vegas.

Just at the point where they are fleeing Nebraska for Colorado.
His meeting with the Kid is actually key to Trashy being cemented to Flagg.

They touched on it in the original series, but you never got the back story until now.

When I first read the Stand I had to look up a bunch of terms which meant a trip to the local library.

Including the term Cibola

Old 03-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #493
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 03-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #494
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I agree. I just finished The Cartel and started The Force today.
The Force - so good. I believe I posted about that somewhere.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #495
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Just finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. I don't recommend the book as a big climax I thought we were working towards never materialized; however, I found the prologue to be riveting. Download the preview on your kobo and I think you'll get the whole prologue for free...treat it like a short story and you'll read it in one sitting and have a little fun with it.

Going to try The Cartel tonight. Love getting these recommendations from you guys. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #496
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Collapsing Empire is just the first in a series, I thought it was great and a great setup for the next one.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #497
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Received a nice Indigo gift card, went a little crazy.

Dan Simmons "A winter haunting"
(Stephen King says: I am in awe of Dan Simmons.)

Paul Kearney "The Wolf In the Attic"
(I imagine it will be typical Kearney, which pleases me greatly. Takes place in 1920's Oxford. Appearances by Tolkien and CS Lewis. Dave Hutchinson says: This is a wonderful, magical book, full of ancient myth and set in an England on the threshold of the modern world.)

Tim Powers "Medusa's Web"
(Booklist: An atmospheric...complex supernatural thriller)

Andrew McConnell Scott "The Poet and the Vampyre"
("The curse of Byron and the birth of Literature's Great Monsters."
The Times says: Byron may not have been mad, or even particularly bad, but he was certainly dangerous to know. As this most entertaining book shows, some of those drawn to the flame of Byron's charisma got burnt to a frazzle.
1816. Lake Geneva. Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Mary Shelley, Claire Clairmont and John Polidori. What could go wrong?

Am halfway through Max Hastings "Catastrophe. Europe goes to War 1914."
Also re reading Simmons "The Terror"
Two thirds through Richard Evans massive three volume history of the third Reich. Almost done Vlad!
Must finish these three before I open more. Need. More. Years.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #498
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The Collapsing Empire is just the first in a series, I thought it was great and a great setup for the next one.
Oh sweet, that makes a ton of sense, then. I was enjoying it, and then it just stopped. Will have to stay tuned for the next in the series.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #499
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Trumpocracy... yeah, it's a bit schizophrenic in my head right now

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #500
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aeneas, we have uncannily similar tastes in books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Dan Simmons "A winter haunting"
(Stephen King says: I am in awe of Dan Simmons.)
I've been meaning to pick this up. I enjoyed Summer of Night.

Quote:
Paul Kearney "The Wolf In the Attic"
(I imagine it will be typical Kearney, which pleases me greatly. Takes place in 1920's Oxford. Appearances by Tolkien and CS Lewis. Dave Hutchinson says: This is a wonderful, magical book, full of ancient myth and set in an England on the threshold of the modern world.)
I just added this to my Chapters wishlist yesterday. I've been meaning to read a Kearney book for a while now. Anything in particular you recommend?

Quote:
Tim Powers "Medusa's Web"
(Booklist: An atmospheric...complex supernatural thriller)

Andrew McConnell Scott "The Poet and the Vampyre"
("The curse of Byron and the birth of Literature's Great Monsters."
The Times says: Byron may not have been mad, or even particularly bad, but he was certainly dangerous to know. As this most entertaining book shows, some of those drawn to the flame of Byron's charisma got burnt to a frazzle.
1816. Lake Geneva. Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Mary Shelley, Claire Clairmont and John Polidori. What could go wrong?
In another strange coincidence, I have Tim Power's the Stress of Her Regard on my wishlist; it's about Byron, Keats, Shelly, and vampires... So if you like Powers and Byron, that might be a good choice.

Quote:
Am halfway through Max Hastings "Catastrophe. Europe goes to War 1914."
How are you enjoying it? I read it last year and really liked it. Hastings has the journalist's flair for snappy writing and the telling anecdote. Dan Carlin's hard core history segments on the subject are a good companion.

Quote:
Two thirds through Richard Evans massive three volume history of the third Reich.
You're a better man than I. Didn't make it past the first book.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: