Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #1141
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, I don't even really know if they would track that type of thing

Personally I've been attacked by dogs twice in my life. Once it was a small one that just bit my calf. When I was younger I was attacked by a dog and it tore my ear almost completely off. If the second attack would have been a breed that didn't relent, like pitbulls mostly don't, I would have been incredibly torn up.
So far All I can find is 33 deaths in the USA average . Breed never plays a factor because 80% of the dogs in any attack could not be determined.

Canada
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/injury-bl...dogbit-eng.php

Usa
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...ies/#extremely rare
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #1142
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
On the nature issue:
Chihuahua:
Temperament

The temperament of its human guardian can make a difference in the temperament of the pup. Tempered Chihuahuas can be easily provoked to attack, and are therefore generally unsuitable for homes with small children.[17] The breed tends to be fiercely loyal to one particular guardian and in some cases may become over protective of the person, especially around other people or animals. If properly managed by older children, 13 and up, they can adapt to this kind of living with a dedicated guardian. They do not always get along with other breeds,[17] and tend to have a "clannish" nature, often preferring the companionship of other Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes over other dogs.[18] These traits generally make them unsuitable for households with children that are not patient and calm.

American Pitbull terrier:
Temperament

The UKC gives this description of the characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier:
The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

You were saying?

Pitbulls are by nature very friendly, and love children, as I have been saying all along, it comes down to ownership, also noted about chihuahuas, however, even with proper guidance, chihuahuas are known to not be good around children especially, or anyone other than it's pack leader.
Pitbulls have always been noted to be one of the best breed types for family pets, for their natural characteristics, loyalty and friendly attitudes.
Pitbulls were bred to fight and kill. It's obvious in their body type and sure most pit bulls won't cause a problem a lot of the time but when they do, the consequences are horrific.

The consequences of a Chihuahua attack are usually a scratch to your ankle but yeah, I wouldn't get one if I had small children. There are lots of good dogs that fall in the middle of your two comparisons that make fine pets. Why do you need a pit bull?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #1143
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I think the issue is not how many times your much larger dog has withstood the bites of various pomeranians. I think the issue is that with that dog breed they are instinctual (as are all animals). When they snap they can't tell if it is a child or a small dog, they see kill, and execute. It is muscle memory, and in a lot of ways these dogs just zone out until they are either beaten back physically, or they win.

I honestly could care less about dog on dog crime. Animal kingdom rules, happens all the time in the wild. What makes me very nervous is that loveable cuddly bullet taking family dog when it snaps all bets are off for a dog or kid.

Why on earth anyone would even what to take the chance around their kids, or other kids with that risk is at the very least irresponsible and selfish.

Oh and the whole home defence argument? Get an alarm, or a weapon, even a gun. At least then you can take massive precaution, and lock it up, and know for sure it ain't going off randomly.
Good luck getting a Gun for protection in Canada.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #1144
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you questions another persons intelligence because they don't agree with you?
Do you feel that you are smarter than everyone around you, because only your opinion makes sense?

How much interaction have you personally had with Pitbulls? From the sounds of your reasoning, you've never been around a happy, loving pitbull, however, if you'd only been around the pitbulls you describe, you shouldn't be alive....
I'm questioning your intelligence because you're comparing chihuahuas to pitbulls. You seem to be unaware that they are physically different. One of them can only cause minor damage. The other one can actually kill a human (child).

I have no problem with you arguing your side, but you're saying things of questionable intelligence. Pitbulls and chihuahuas are not comparable.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #1145
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Sure it doesn't excuse them, but it kinda like how when a 6 year old punches anyone, there are no criminal charges. When a 26 year old punches anyone (especially a 6 year old), it's different.
They should be! My three year old niece has had me off work for a week because of a sore neck after she bear hugged my neck
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #1146
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I think the issue is not how many times your much larger dog has withstood the bites of various pomeranians. I think the issue is that with that dog breed they are instinctual (as are all animals). When they snap they can't tell if it is a child or a small dog, they see kill, and execute. It is muscle memory, and in a lot of ways these dogs just zone out until they are either beaten back physically, or they win.

I honestly could care less about dog on dog crime. Animal kingdom rules, happens all the time in the wild. What makes me very nervous is that loveable cuddly bullet taking family dog when it snaps all bets are off for a dog or kid.

Why on earth anyone would even what to take the chance around their kids, or other kids with that risk is at the very least irresponsible and selfish.

Oh and the whole home defence argument? Get an alarm, or a weapon, even a gun. At least then you can take massive precaution, and lock it up, and know for sure it ain't going off randomly.
But bulldogs and Pitbulls were not bred to kill, nor were they bred to attack multiple times. They were bred as bait dogs, specifically Bear and Bull baiting. Where their goal was to strike once, quickly, latch on to the targets snout and immobilize it. Which in essence would mean, in the case of a dog on dog, or dog on human attack, by nature, a Bulldog or Pitbull would latch on, and immobilize the target of the attack, not continue to attack to the point of killing. Pitbulls were trained to be pit fighters, they had to be taught to try to kill another animal, it is not natural instinct to them.

As for the defense argument, I'm not near as comfortable putting my families lives in the hands of an electronic device, that signals someone 10 minutes away of an emergency. Nor would I ever want to be in a position where I had to take another persons life, which is why I am not a gun owner. Having a dog that deters people from entering my home is far more comforting, and knowing that if someone did enter my home, the dog is also an alarm system, but also capable of immobilizing the threat until the proper authorities are able to arrive.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #1147
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
They should be! My three year old niece has had me off work for a week because of a sore neck after she bear hugged my neck
you should have powerbombed her into a glass coffee table to show her who's boss
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #1148
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Pitbulls were bred to fight and kill. It's obvious in their body type and sure most pit bulls won't cause a problem a lot of the time but when they do, the consequences are horrific.

The consequences of a Chihuahua attack are usually a scratch to your ankle but yeah, I wouldn't get one if I had small children. There are lots of good dogs that fall in the middle of your two comparisons that make fine pets. Why do you need a pit bull?
Dog fighters breed and TRAIN pitbulls and other breeds to kill. This is not the breeds natural instinct.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #1149
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people are going to keep calling them pit bulls either for or against can we at least use the proper breed names? he term pit bull is used as a generic term used to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics including mixed breeds. Hell Boxers and Boston terrier are classified as pit bulls. Its hard to take either side seriously if you can't get the ethology right

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-17-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #1150
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dog fighters breed and TRAIN pitbulls and other breeds to kill. This is not the breeds natural instinct.
So how does a pitbull that wasn't trained to fight latch on to a poodle, after socializing, and hold on and shake it until it's dead?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #1151
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm questioning your intelligence because you're comparing chihuahuas to pitbulls. You seem to be unaware that they are physically different. One of them can only cause minor damage. The other one can actually kill a human (child).

I have no problem with you arguing your side, but you're saying things of questionable intelligence. Pitbulls and chihuahuas are not comparable.
I am well aware that pitbulls are far more capable of harming, and killing a victim than a chihuahua, or 95% of all other breeds for that matter. I am not arguing against that.
My argument has, and always will be, that the breeds themselves are not to blame. It is not natural instinct for a pitbull type to just attack a person or other animal, whereas many other dogs, including chihuahuas are far more prone to attacking, at a genetic level.
So why blame the breed, when it is clearly the training and ownership that is the real issue?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #1152
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
In all honesty, a training course and registry for dog owners of "dangerous" breeds is a far better option than a ban. Breeds should not be killed off because some people are not responsible, much like the gun debate.
Don't kill them off. Ban them from cities
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #1153
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
I am well aware that pitbulls are far more capable of harming, and killing a victim than a chihuahua, or 95% of all other breeds for that matter. I am not arguing against that.
My argument has, and always will be, that the breeds themselves are not to blame. It is not natural instinct for a pitbull type to just attack a person or other animal, whereas many other dogs, including chihuahuas are far more prone to attacking, at a genetic level.
So why blame the breed, when it is clearly the training and ownership that is the real issue?
Because you can't ban stupid people (except from CP)
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #1154
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
IMO, this is as ridiculous as the debate about whether regular citizens should be in possession of automatic rifles.

I think that they're potentially excessively aggressive, and unnecessary. Just like these dogs that "were bred to latch on to bears' snouts?"

Sorry for all the double s'.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #1155
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
If people are going to keep calling them pit bulls either for or against can we at least use the proper breed names? he term pit bull is used as a generic term used to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics including mixed breeds. Hell Boxers and small bull dogs are classified as pit bulls. Its hard to take either side seriously if you can't get the ethology right
Don't lecture people about getting things right when you can barely spell or punctuate.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #1156
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So how does a pitbull that wasn't trained to fight latch on to a poodle, after socializing, and hold on and shake it until it's dead?
The same way any other breed is capable of the same thing. Training.
Just because it wasn't trained to fight, doesn't mean it was trained not to bite. Animals have instincts, and it is up to the owner to teach them to control those instincts, or be in control of their dogs.
Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and some dogs, of any breed can be unstable. Just like humans. Serial Killers weren't trained by their perfectly normal parents to kill people for fun, there's just something wrong.

Last edited by wretched34; 07-17-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #1157
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The same way any other breed is capable of the same thing. Training.
Just because it wasn't trained to fight, doesn't mean it was trained not to bite. Animals have instincts, and it is up to the owner to teach them to control those instincts, or be in control of their dogs.
Not bite. Bite, not let go, and shake until the dog is dead. That's not every breed ... sorry.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #1158
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cousin owns a pitbul. Loves everyone . He is a cute little Boston Terrier. Better ban all pit bulls.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #1159
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not bite. Bite, not let go, and shake until the dog is dead. That's not every breed ... sorry.
I agree, that is a pitbull trait, as that is what baiting was, minus the killing (unfortunately a little poodle is not as big or strong as a bull or bear). It is unfortunate that when they attack that is how it happens. Mind you, some breeds repeatedly bite, or target the throat, or spinal column to get the results they desire.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #1160
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't lecture people about getting things right when you can barely spell or punctuate.
Big deal. I missed a key on the screen or a few grammar points. At least get the breeds right when people are calling for a genocide of a species is kind of more important. Ever typed on a small phone ? Never made a mistake yourself when trying to type?

Tags
dog attack puppy barking