Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2022, 11:22 PM   #1
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dry February

Anyone else trying this? A friend and I decided to do it after a pretty heavy couple of months of drinking, particularly in December.

My drinking habits have changed during Covid. I have been having 2-3 drinks, 3 times per week, plus maybe a glass of wine or a scotch here and there. I drink heavily (more than 5 drinks, usually out at the pub) once every 2-3 weeks.

I’m tracking my weight this month and monitoring my sleep to see if cutting out alcohol has any effects. 8 days in and I don’t feel any physically different but I do notice the urge to have a drink now and then. So far no problem resisting it.

I didn’t sign up for the fundraiser, but it is a good cause with proceeds going to cancer research. I recently tapped on friends and family for Movember so I’m sitting out the fundraising this time.

If you want to learn more, here is the website.

For anyone else participating, let me know how it’s going. Let’s support each other!
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:27 PM   #2
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought you were talking about the conditions outside.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #3
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't it used to be dry January at one point?

I'm not participating. Nothing against it, but I no longer drink enough to feel the need to have a set drying out time.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:21 AM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I did dry January (and still haven’t had one in Feb). I didn’t even know there was an “official” one with fundraising.

I was probably drinking as much as you were. December might have been worse.

It’s a good way to reset the body and when you combine it with exercise any extra weight drops off pretty quickly. Sleep is the most noticeable difference though. I have a much better night’s sleep when I don’t drink.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve been dry for about 2.5 years now, it’s still amazing how many more hours there are in the week when you’re not habitually drinking.

At this point I don’t have a hardline take on if people should/shouldn’t drink at all, but I do like that the Dry Feb site is focused on moderation and being intentional with one’s consumption.

Good luck to all who are doing Dry Feb! Hope it leads to a better night’s sleep and more even keel for as long as you choose.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dry for 9 days now. Back in October I went for 46 days.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

During the holidays I'd settle down every night with a few scotches.

For 2022, I'm limiting myself to only having drinks on the weekends unless I have people over or Canada is playing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I am.

My wife "tricked" me into it.

On Feb 1 I went out with clients for lunch, it wasn't until I was half way through my lovely tasty Guinness that I realized it was Feb 1.

Since then I have been good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Anyone else trying this? A friend and I decided to do it after a pretty heavy couple of months of drinking, particularly in December.

My drinking habits have changed during Covid. I have been having 2-3 drinks, 3 times per week, plus maybe a glass of wine or a scotch here and there. I drink heavily (more than 5 drinks, usually out at the pub) once every 2-3 weeks.

I’m tracking my weight this month and monitoring my sleep to see if cutting out alcohol has any effects. 8 days in and I don’t feel any physically different but I do notice the urge to have a drink now and then. So far no problem resisting it.

I didn’t sign up for the fundraiser, but it is a good cause with proceeds going to cancer research. I recently tapped on friends and family for Movember so I’m sitting out the fundraising this time.

If you want to learn more, here is the website.

For anyone else participating, let me know how it’s going. Let’s support each other!
I did it two years ago and then we ended up with a global pandemic. Actually, I didn't even know it was a thing. It was just a stressful time for me personally and I thought not having a drink would be a good thing. I was thinking of doing it again this year, but I forgot. Oh well. I have a lot of friends that do sober October and don't get me going on no nut November.

Anywho, I think cutting down and/or eliminating the consumption of alcohol is a good thing. At the very least we need to normalize not drinking. My current consumption is a single drink after work 3 times a week plus a few pints at the pub with guys a couple of times a year. Although I do wish we could have a guys night out that did not involve drinking.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started a day early, so 10 days for me. Like many, huge increase at the start of the pandemic and I simply want to get back to a weekends only thing. At one point when I was extremely focused on health & fitness, I even had it limited to every second weekend. I've never experienced any weight gain from the increase, which maybe didn't help as there was less motivation to cut back. The compulsion to have a drink at the end of the day was starting to concern me, so quitting altogether for a minimum of a month.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Didn't do it this year, as I don't drink very much with a new baby anyways. However, did it the last 3 years, and it was great. Usually did mid-Jan to mid Feb. Found I lost all sorts of weight and really got to reset things like my workout and professional schedule.

Also found that I was quite irritable, and there was definitely truth to alcohol letting you unwind.

I don't drink alone though. So wasn't drinking every night in the first place. The binge drinking definitely crept up on me, especially around the holiday time. So was great to take a break from that. Overall, for me I need to drink sometimes though. Getting together with friends and drinking 4-8 drinks is just something I need to do somewhat regularly.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #12
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sleep seems to be the biggest change for me. I used to sleep like a log after drinking. Now, at the age of 45, 1-2 drinks is fine but after 3 or more drinks in an evening I have a fitful sleep.

A big part of this for me is testing my willpower. I was definitely in the habit of reaching for a beer or a glass of wine to relax after a hard day. I really enjoy that experience and don't intend to give it up permanently...but want to make sure I'm not completely dependent on it.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do sporadic dry weeks through the year. Probably 10 total.

Got bad early in the pandemic but back to normal these days.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #14
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I basically never have a drink in less I'm out with people, so I'm sure I go dry 4 weeks in a row a few times / year. I just can't think of a scenario where I'd be sitting around home with the wife / kids and think what this situation needs is beer.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 10:09 AM   #15
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That's one change I've made and the thought is the same.

It doesn't make sense anymore to sit at home on the couch and drinking alone. Throwing back 100+ calories per drink and then eating the crap food that typically goes along with it.

The excuse is typically "it helps me relax" but then you end up with crappy sleep which kills the best way to really relax and recharge your body.

I love, love beer but the benefits just aren't there if you don't have the social aspects of it as well. Beers with friends is the best. I know you can do it without but a little drop in your inhibitions to let loose is where the fun and relaxation comes from.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #16
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will not drink ANYTHING on February 29, 30 and 31 this year. It's a promise.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I basically never have a drink in less I'm out with people, so I'm sure I go dry 4 weeks in a row a few times / year. I just can't think of a scenario where I'd be sitting around home with the wife / kids and think what this situation needs is beer.
I can think of many.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: