Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames What young players (25 and under) are expendable assets for the Flames?

The Flames have a pretty strong prospect group and not all of these guys are going to fit as long term players down the road.

The first move of a young player happened at the trade deadline with Sven Baertschi getting moved for a 2nd round pick. It since came out he wanted to move on and forced the teams hand. Treliving did what he could and got the best he could get.

There are a few players that are interesting to me and do they have a future?

Reinhart, Shore, Agotsino, Hanowski, Granlund could be players I see used as trade chips. In addition to a pt least one of our upcoming second round picks

Treliving did say he received offers for Shore at the deadline and did not intend to move him. He struggled to get in the lineup but is a right shot and has size.

Granlund is probably the most intriguing asset for me. I think there will be a decision made between him and Backlund at some point and right now I think Backs is the guy the Flames retain. I look at the NJ Devils as a team with several young Dmen that would be a good trade partner.

Treliving has said he is not looking at moving young assets for old players that might be able to get them over the top. That doesn't mean he wouldn't trade one or more for a 26 year old with term on his deal or in the case of Sven he will move more NHL assets for draft picks.

It is obvious that Johnny, Monahan, Bennett, Brodie are safe. I think Bouma, Ferland, Wortherspoon, Jooris, Ortio are not going anywhere. I also do not see the Flames entertaining moving Porier, Gillies, Jankowski, Klimchuck, Culkin, Kulak at this time.

Interested to hear some other people's takes on this
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Keep Shore, the rest can go or stay.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

The safest are Johnny, Monny, Bennett, and Brodie. I think Ferland, Bouma, and Gilles are safe too. Poirier, Granlund, Ortio, and Klimchuk haven't proven themselves at the NHL level yet, but they are valuable prospects. I'd be surprised to see them moved. Jooris is a bit tricky. He seemed to make the team full time but looked expendable towards the end. Not sure how much his injury played into that though. I think the rest could be moved at any time.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather trade a more veteran player like Mikael Backlund when we have Markus Granlund because Backlund would get more in trade. None of the young players except the big three will get you much at all by themselves. The vets though will get you full value (look at what we got for Glencross)

There isn't really a book on any of the next batch of guys to say that this guy is going to be this guy for ever. Jooris might end up being a great 3rd liner for the next 10 years, or he might fade into the background never to be heard from again.

In order to make trades, some of the guys we like will have to go, which always sucks.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brodie and Gillies I would say everyone else 25 and under is expendable for the right price. That said, I have very little interest in moving Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Bouma, Wotherspoon or Morrison.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with most posters here on most prospects.

It would be easy after he cooled off the 2nd half to consider trading Jooris. but I think it is too early to give up on a kid after a surprising and fantastic start to the season. And i think he holds much higher value to calgary going forward than we could acquire in a trade.

Klimchuk would be the most likely suspect to move IMO as he still holds high value but I don't feel he will be a key guy going forward.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough one .
Flames need to get bigger and stronger yet improve skill.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
Duke43
Backup Goalie

Location: Penticton in Spring/Summer, Las Vegas in Fall/Winter
Exp:

How about Arnold and Hathaway?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be actively looking to move any of them but apart from Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau and Brodie, I would absolutely move any of them for the right deal.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #10
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How expendable a player is really depends on what return is being offered. That being said, I feel like Monahan, Gaudreau, and Brodie are almost untouchable after this season.

Young guys that haven't quite proven themselves but just don't make any sense to trade at this point include Bennett and Gillies.

Of the young players that could actually get some value in return, I would be willing to trade Granlund, Jooris, Shore, Wotherspoon, Jankowski, and Klimchuk.

Ones I would hesitate to trade but would consider if the price was high enough include Ferland, Bouma, and Poirier.

Of the remaining players/prospects, I don't think there would be significant return coming back for guys like Reinhart, Arnold, Agostino, Hanowski, Kulak, Culkin, and a few more.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #11
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would add Jon Gillies to the short list of people who are definitely not moving. He's a much better prospect than basically everyone else who has not played in the NHL. I also highly doubt that Hickey would be traded unless another team really overpaid.

There are a lot of prospects that have almost no value and would probably not be traded. A number of people from he 2010-2011 drafts can probably be moved (too crowded, running out of time) without much regret. This list could include people that have value, yet find themselves unlikely to make the opening roster for next year.

As many of you are saying, I would think this list includes: Granlund, Reinhart, Agostino, Hanowski, Ramage, Sieloff, and Arnold.

GranlundA bit like Backlund in how he plays defensively. Problem is, he's softer and probably has less heart. He is a good prospect and probably has pretty good value. A team like Minnesota might like him.
ReinhartI don't think we should trade Max now, because we would be trading while he has low value. They really should have traded him earlier, but probably not just for the sake of making a deal. He will probably rebound at least a bit this year.
AgostinoHe just doesn't seem like a good enough prospect to ever hold a meaningful spot on the Flames. However, he did finish off the season strong, and he might have some value. Now would be a good time to trade him.
HanowskiHe is a good leader on the AHL team. He's also a decent player down there. He probably doesn't have much value, yet he has a good impact on the minor team.
RamageRamage probably has very little value. He could be thrown in on a deal for a team that is looking for a little more depth on their AHL blueline.
SieloffTo be honest, I never thought he was a great pick. He has no offense, is not even that great defensively, and is too small to play his game. Thus, he is very injury prone. Taking large amounts of minor penalties does not help the team. I would trade him while he still has any residual value from being a second round pick. Luckily, the Culkin and Kulak picks seem to be paying off.
ArnoldI really like Bill Arnold, and maybe other organizations do too. He seems to be an all around player. He could likely help the AHL team, and could even take a spot as a third liner in the future. I would not be opposed to trading him for a reasonable price. If he does not perform well this coming year, his value will likely decrease (he's getting older). Now might be a good time.

A lot of these guys have low value, and would basically be toss ins in deals (like Patrick Holland in the Cammy deal).

Jooris could also be traded, because I feel like he did not improve much as the year went on. 0 points in 9 playoff games is not really all that impressive. Other teams may have noticed him and could see value.

If the Flames decide to keep both Ramo and Hiller, there would likely be 3 goalies competing for jobs during the preseason. If Ortio loses out to both Ramo and Hiller, I think he should be moved. There is no reason that Gillies should not get the majority of the time in the AHL (unless he is really disappointing).
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get rid of geirdeue
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 AM   #13
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Grg
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #14
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Ramage finished off the year as one of our team's top defenseman and showed pretty well in the last game of the season. After Wotherspoon, he is probably next on our depth chart. If he has so little value, I don't see why you would trade him.

Jooris finished the year playing injured, and he really seems to have the faith of the coaches. Then again, so does Paul Byron and a lot of other depth guys.

Hard to say who to deal though when it comes to tier 2 players, really depends on other teams value of that player exceeding how much you value them if you are trying to strike a deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #15
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been saying almost all year on Fireside Chat that I think Reinhart is expendable. I am surprised he didn't get traded at the deadline.

I think Jooris may be traded. I am not convinced he'll repeat his NHL level performance again next year, and they may trade him while there is value.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #16
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cripes. You guys are so quick to get rid of Jooris. It's kind of shameful when he did nothing but hustle all year long and play strong defense. Had he not injured his wrist somewhere around January he probably would have continued to put up points. The injury likely effected his ability to win face-offs too, which was something he struggled with.

He showed so much in a rookie season which was just his 2nd pro season. I would never trade a player who had such a strong upward trend like Jooris.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Way too many player with upside...cant keep them all...lets hope that the ones they do move don't go one to be stars elsewhere
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #18
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was impressed every time I watched Shore and was baffled at how few games he got into. My hope is that he features more prominently in next year's lineup as RW.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

There aren't many prospects I would consider moving in a package type trade, but Reinhart would be one I would consider, only for the fact that he's stagnating in the AHL, possibly beginning to regress, and had several cups of coffee in the NHL and never impressed much in those stints. He's also one of the few who could net a decent return.

Ken Agostino was trending upward after learning the game in his first pro season. Wouldn't move him yet.

Hanowski may never become an NHL player, but he has developed some nice leadership qualities for the AHL club. It's not a player other teams are going to value highly anyway, so I say keep him around for the farm club unless he somehow makes a big deal go down.

Shore is a guy who is just about to become a full time NHL player. He might just need to work on a few small things, but he has the tools to be a solid player. I definitely would NOT move him at the moment.

Granlund has only just played his rookie season, and while he struggled with offense and face-offs, he could still be a valuable player. Defensively responsible, and just a little undersized. I think you could eventually see Granlund moved in a deal, but it won't be this year.

Sieloff needs to show something this year or he could be in that group of prospects that gets shipped out. He needs to be a dominant player in the AHL.

Culkin had a great year cut short by injury. He's looking like a good pick. Kulak had to go to the ECHL to get minutes, but don't be fooled by that. He's still trending towards the NHL. Wouldn't move either of these guys.

Wotherspoon didn't have his best season and definitely didn't look as sharp in the NHL as he did last year, but he was a player they chose to play over the veteran Potter, so I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon.

Ramage could still turn out to be an adequate bottom pairing defender, but it would not shock me to see him traded in a package deal for a better defense prospect that has more upside.

Morrison is a guy they worked very hard to sign. Zero chance of him being moved.

Rafikov and Ollas-Mattson are developing in Europe and aren't likely to play in North America for a couple years, so it makes some sense to include them in a trade for a player closer to playing in the NHL. It wouldn't shock me to see them included in a deal, but I doubt you see Rafikov moved the way he has progressed.

Any Flames prospect that hasn't turned pro yet is almost assuredly not on the table because we don't know how good they will be at that level, so that rules out Gillies, Jankowski, Klimchuk, Kanzig, Gilmour, Hickey, Smith, Carroll, McDonald.

Obviously, any young NHL player is off the table, so that rules out Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Bouma, and to a lesser extend Backlund. This is another reason why you won't see Jooris or Granlund moved. Ortio is all but assured of making the NHL team, so you can rule him out as well.

Bennett is an absolute non-starter for any trade conversation.

So after all that, you might have a handful of guys like Reinhart, Hanowksi, Ramage, and Sieloff who are possibilities for a package type trade.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #20
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and Bill Arnold looks pretty darn good, so I wouldn't move him either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: