Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #1161
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Now Eden Hazard wants to go to Arsenal.
I thought Hazard wanted to play in the Champions League.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1162
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Now Eden Hazard wants to go to Arsenal. He is turning in to that drunk guy at the bar who hits on anything that walks just to ensure he doesn't go home empty handed.

http://football-talk.co.uk/59543/now...ove-whos-next/
Spurs will bring in as many Belgian players as necessary to make it happen

had 3 scouts at the Ajax game on thursday, most likely watching Vertonghen (possibly Eriksen)
Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #1163
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

but ya, he's angling for money it looks like now

probably comes down to Spurs/4th place team

United won't spend, he wont go to City and possibly sit on the bench
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #1164
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just dont see him going to Arsenal without CL football

RVP very likely won't be there, I can't imagine him being allowed to play out his contract and leave on a bosman
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #1165
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guus Hiddink has been appointed the new manager of Anzhi Makhachkala.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...iddink?cc=5901

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #1166
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1167
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess Hazard will end up at Tottenham. He wants to play Champions League, so that narrows it down to just a few teams. He searches regular football, so he won't go to City. United will probably fall short if it comes to money. I imagine it would come down between Chelsea and Tottenham, but I think Tottenham would be a better fit.

As much as I like Hazard, I'd prefer Nico Gaitan for United. Sir Alex has long been interested in him and he'd be cheaper than Hazard. Nani/Valencia and Young/Gaitan would be fantastic and leave us with many options on the wings. Plus Park, but being in this 30s now, I see him more of an option for central midfield these days. Gaitan is also capable of playing in the central, so he's kind of the creative and flexible midfielder United would want.

Last edited by devo22; 02-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #1168
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope to god he goes to Tottenham.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1169
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I guess Hazard will end up at Tottenham. He wants to play Champions League, so that narrows it down to just a few teams. He searches regular football, so he won't go to City. United will probably fall short if it comes to money. I imagine it would come down between Chelsea and Tottenham, but I think Tottenham would be a better fit.

As much as I like Hazard, I'd prefer Nico Gaitan for United. Sir Alex has long been interested in him and he'd be cheaper than Hazard. Nani/Valencia and Young/Gaitan would be fantastic and leave us with many options on the wings. Plus Park, but being in this 30s now, I see him more of an option for central midfield these days. Gaitan is also capable of playing in the central, so he's kind of the creative and flexible midfielder United would want.
I thought Gaitan was only a central midfielder?

may be wrong I don't watch any of the portugese league outside of CL/Europa

and I agree on the part of United not needing anymore wingers, Nani/Valencia/Young are more than enough, they play with 2 and even 3 strikers sometimes as well so its not a weakness

Central midfield is much more important
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #1170
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Spurs get in to the Champions League which looks like a huge possibility I expect them to spend big this summer. They will have the attraction.

Regarding Hazard though, I always thought he would end up at Arsenal if he ever came to the Premier League. Although not sure now after their performances so far this season.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #1171
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I thought Gaitan was only a central midfielder?

may be wrong I don't watch any of the portugese league outside of CL/Europa

and I agree on the part of United not needing anymore wingers, Nani/Valencia/Young are more than enough, they play with 2 and even 3 strikers sometimes as well so its not a weakness

Central midfield is much more important
transfermarkt.de - a primary source for market values and so on - has him listed like that:

Main position: Left Wing
Secondary positions: Attacking Midfield, Right Wing

So he really seems like a flexible player. I think he would be a perfect addition: he could partner a more defensive midfielder like Carrick while also being able to replace a winger when an injury occurs (and as we know from United's current season: there will be injuries).
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #1172
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fresh from leading the line in AC Milan's midweek thrashing of Arsenal, striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has suggested Robin van Persie should leave the Gunners in order to chase silverware.

"When you don't win anything for years, people understand why you leave like Cesc Fabregas," Ibrahimovic told The Sun. "Football is all about winning. If you don't win you want to go.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...persie?cc=5901

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #1173
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zlatan loves taking shots at Arsenal

He's still mad that Wenger asked him to go on trial and not just offer him a contract

Quote:
Wenger tried to sign you in 2000 when you were at Malmo. What happened there? Why did you decide not to go?

There are two different versions here because when I was at Malmo I had many clubs interested. I mean, you don’t know how serious it is before they come and they want to buy you, but there were some scouts that were watching me. Arsenal came and said they were interested so we went there, and when I arrived I got the impression from Wenger that it was more kind of “I want to see how good you are, or what kind of player you are.” It was like it was a trial. And I was like “Man, I didn’t come here for a trial. Like, are you interested or are you not interested?” I wanted them to convince me to come, that’s what I had in my mind before we went. So it was totally like “No, I didn’t come for a trial” because you either want a player or you don’t want a player …
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #1174
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zlatan loves taking shots at Arsenal

He's still mad that Wenger asked him to go on trial and not just offer him a contract
I never knew that.

Well, Arsenal down 1-0 to Sunderland and are being badly outplayed right now.

John Djourou is terrible. At everything.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #1175
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta feel for Oxlade-Chamberlain on that one, he lost the ball, put his head down and admirably recovered over damned near the whole pitch only to helplessly fumble it across the line himself.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #1176
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always knew that rooting for a "Top 4" EPL side was going to be all sunshine and lollipops...

I hope RvP ends up at a club that I can actually stand (Not Barcelona).
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #1177
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vennegoor of hesselink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #1178
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gotta feel for Oxlade-Chamberlain on that one, he lost the ball, put his head down and admirably recovered over damned near the whole pitch only to helplessly fumble it across the line himself.
I hated that the announcers didn't point that out enough

they said that he had no chance on the own goal, but he put in a hell of an effort to get back while some of his teammates jogged back
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #1179
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hated that the announcers didn't point that out enough

they said that he had no chance on the own goal, but he put in a hell of an effort to get back while some of his teammates jogged back
Agreed. Sure, you can blame him for losing the ball in the final third, but he busted ass getting back to atone for his mistake. He was honestly the last man back there, he was behind the CBs!

Nothing he could have done about that goal aside from revolutionist 'dont give the ball away' crap. Everyone gets caught in possession sometimes, but he worked hard to get back, much harder than his CBs worked to defend their goal.

Regardless of this defeat, I think Arsenal fans should be pleased by his display of effort and emotion. A shrewd buy by Wenger.

Now, guys like Arteta, Gervinho and Benayoun on that note....not so much.

Also, RvP is getting very whiny. He never used to be like that as far as I can recall, but it seems the stress of being Arsenal's only elite player is getting to him.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #1180
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where to even begin?

It's tough to believe that the team that came back to beat Chelsea and Villa is the same one that played Milan and Sunderland. It seems like both the effort and quality possessed during those comebacks has evaporated. Even though our team is not as good/strong as it needs to be, it's so frustrating to know that even with the squad we have this year we could be doing relatively well (i.e. we are still in fourth due to other clubs continually making mistakes and dropping points).

Nevertheless, Arsenal has the financial resources and a good chunk of the human resources to form a team that will allow the club to perform as well as it suppose to, and should be, doing. While I'm not in the 'Sack Wegner Now Goddammit' crowd, I'm starting to think that in order to commit to the change that the club desperately needs it really is time to start looking beyond Wegner. His stubbornness is really holding back the club and I think we need to embrace certain changes before we squander our resources.

When I say change I don't mean going out a buying players like Hazard and Tevez but rather getting rid of the deadwood I have alluded to before and adding the necessary quality where it is needed. That being said, this quality is probably going to have to be a mix of typical Wegner-found Diamond In The Roughs and ready-made superstars in waiting.

Quote:
We did a lot of things wrong yesterday but the worst mistake was that no one came over to the lad to give him a bit of consolation. The ironic thing about the OG was that the only reason why he scored it was because he did the right thing and tracked back like a demon after coughing up the ball.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Closed Thread