Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 10:36 AM   #41
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could over react to either sample size, but I've averaged out to. "Let Him Cook" and see what happens.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, like many players, his physical stats are not quite accurate. I don't think Fleury was 5'6", and I don't think Gaudreau is 5'9".

Do we really think Wolf is the same height as Kadri, Weegar and Backlund? Taller than Coleman or Kuzmenko?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I feel like sometimes Wolf might wear smaller shoulder pads compared to other goalies.

Even in regards to Saros it feels like Saros might wear a bit bigger gear.
That’s my theory on the size “difference.” Saros’ upper body protection is just noticeably more pronounced than Wolf’s, in both the shoulders and chest area. Otherwise they look almost exactly the same.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM   #44
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I could over react to either sample size, but I've averaged out to. "Let Him Cook" and see what happens.
Well that sample size overreaction could go either way at this point? Not incredible stats so far, but also a good last couple of games.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:43 AM   #45
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well that sample size overreaction could go either way at this point? Not incredible stats so far, but also a good last couple of games.
Yes, exactly.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:53 AM   #46
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolf has looked great the last two games. I was not sold on him previously. He needs to play though to keep developing. He’s ready though.

So pull the pin on trading markstrom in the off season.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #47
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Wolf has looked great the last two games. I was not sold on him previously. He needs to play though to keep developing. He’s ready though.

So pull the pin on trading markstrom in the off season.
Pull the pin? Or pull the trigger?

As much as I’d love to see Markstrom and wolf split starts next season, I still believe the best move is to trade Markstrom
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:18 AM   #48
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Pull the pin? Or pull the trigger?

As much as I’d love to see Markstrom and wolf split starts next season, I still believe the best move is to trade Markstrom
I'm leaning to keep Markstrom and trade Vladar, because I think it takes more than 10 NHL games for any goalie prospect to establish themselves and learn the NHL game. The path won't be linear and a good way to ruin a young goalie is to put them into a role where they'd be playing anywhere more than 35 games when they've only played 10 games to date. I'd like it if they kept Markstrom for the duration of his contract (unless the Flames are blown away with an overpay offer), have Wolf learn under his tutelage each of those 2 seasons and then see if he's ready to take the starter's job then or if the Flames need to bring someone in to have a true 1A/1B situation for another season. I'm predicting Wolf to be the Flames legitimate number 1 starter in the 2026 season.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:25 AM   #49
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Or, like many players, his physical stats are not quite accurate. I don't think Fleury was 5'6", and I don't think Gaudreau is 5'9".

Do we really think Wolf is the same height as Kadri, Weegar and Backlund? Taller than Coleman or Kuzmenko?

At the start of this video, you see the post game congratulations. Backlund looks a little bit taller that Wolf, but Kadri looks to be exactly the same.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:33 AM   #50
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm leaning to keep Markstrom and trade Vladar, because I think it takes more than 10 NHL games for any goalie prospect to establish themselves and learn the NHL game. The path won't be linear and a good way to ruin a young goalie is to put them into a role where they'd be playing anywhere more than 35 games when they've only played 10 games to date. I'd like it if they kept Markstrom for the duration of his contract (unless the Flames are blown away with an overpay offer), have Wolf learn under his tutelage each of those 2 seasons and then see if he's ready to take the starter's job then or if the Flames need to bring someone in to have a true 1A/1B situation for another season. I'm predicting Wolf to be the Flames legitimate number 1 starter in the 2026 season.
I see no logical reason to keep Markstrom. He’s not the only person to provide tutelage. Secondly he has a very different style than Wolf, so what will he truly offer that’s worth not going after an A prospect and a 1st? Forgoing that to keep him for leadership? Naa. I’d rather cash him. Vlad, not worth keeping around as he isn’t starter material. Sign a vet like Freddie Anderson to provide guidance and split the time between Wolf next year.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

At the start of this video, you see the post game congratulations. Backlund looks a little bit taller that Wolf, but Kadri looks to be exactly the same.
Yea, or it's close enough not to matter anyway.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #52
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I see no logical reason to keep Markstrom. He’s not the only person to provide tutelage. Secondly he has a very different style than Wolf, so what will he truly offer that’s worth not going after an A prospect and a 1st? Forgoing that to keep him for leadership? Naa. I’d rather cash him. Vlad, not worth keeping around as he isn’t starter material. Sign a vet like Freddie Anderson to provide guidance and split the time between Wolf next year.
All keeping Markstrom is going to do is create a tug of war for time in the crease. Do you think Markstrom wants to play only 50% of the games at his stage of career.

I think the best plan is to trade markstrom. Because he’s our biggest remaining chip. If you don’t want vladar playing 50% of the games sign a cheaper (than Markstrom) reliable vet who will be ok with that.

I think they should run with Vladar and Wolf and try to turn Markstrom into a 3rd slotted dman or a second/third line center with draftpicks.

Last edited by Goriders; 03-18-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #53
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
All keeping Markstrom is going to do is create a tug of war for time in the crease. Do you think Markstrom wants to play only 50% of the games at his stage of career.

I think the best plan is to trade markstrom. Because he’s our biggest remaining chip. If you don’t want vladar playing 50% of the games sign a cheaper (than Markstrom) reliable vet who will be ok with that.
I’m in agreement. Foregoing a return of a 1st and a good prospect to keep markstrom at this stage is crazy. We need solid young assets and he brings that back. Mentorship doesn’t fully make sense to me considering their size and style differences. All signs point to a trade as the best move.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #54
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Further, after seeing Wolf play, his reaction is his bread and butter. But in the NHL his size is a huge concern. Guys can pick holes so well. Plus if big guys stand in front of him he’s screwed. It’s a legit risk he won’t be as good as he was in the minors. Defence has to clear guys out so he gets a clear look. I’d much rather have him split time for a couple seasons then take the reins fully in 2026. The D needs development in front of him too.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:02 PM   #55
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely not locked to keeping Markstrom. If a team overpays for him, make the deal. My only point was that we need to not push Wolf into a bad situation right away. I really don't like the idea of making him a 1A/1B next season (not suggesting you're saying that). Give him time, let him learn under a vet Number 1. If that's Markstrom, that's great for me. If it's not I'm good with someone else.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM   #56
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think you would try something like 35 games next year, 45 the next than 55 which is most starters work load. But could be dead wrong too. The Ranjerks had Shesterkin go to 35 in the 56 game Covid season after he'd been similar to Wolf the previous year for NHL games. Although Shesterkin was 25 instead of what will be 23, and 35 games with limited travel out of 56 compares a bit differently to say 55 in a full 82 with full travel.

Still you can't run Wolf with Vladar. Might not need to be Markstrom, but has to be a decent NHL goaltender. Yes I'm ready to cast Vladar aside...I don't think he's consistent enough to be a Rittich let alone anything more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 PM   #57
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Goalie skates are shorter as well
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:28 PM   #58
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The on ice helmet taps he looks closer to Coronato/Mangiapane height but if goalie skates are shorter that could explain it.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:30 PM   #59
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Goalie skates are shorter as well
Way shorter, I think this gets overlooked a lot. Goalies on ice standing next to players is like being in your flip flops standing next to people in Doc Martens.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:32 PM   #60
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't have a problem believing that Wolf is 6'0" (per Flames' website). It's not his height that makes him look small, it's the 166lbs and how much net that doesn't take up.

Our other two goalies are 6'6"/207lbs and 6'5"/209lbs. Those are some abnomally large humans to try to compare him to. He gives up half a foot and 50lbs to what our brains have become accustomed to seeing in goal.

I like the direction we're headed in right now. I like that he's currently the starter, and hope it stays like this for the rest of the season whether he starts to struggle again or not. Like I've said before, a sizable portion of a goalie's skillset is between their ears, and I want to know if he has that in addition to his obvious physical skills.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: