Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Val Kilmer confirms cancer struggle on Reddit

Heres the reddit AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm..._val_kilmer_i/

Quote:
SUNDAY, APRIL 30, 2017

Actor Val Kilmer has finally confirmed longrunning reports suggesting he has been battling cancer, insisting his swollen tongue is “healing all the time”.

The Heat star’s health has been under scrutiny in recent years, and in January 2015, he was said to have checked into the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles to have a suspected tumour in his throat removed.

He fuelled the claims in October 2015, when he was photographed with a breathing aid around his neck, but he took to Facebook at the time to dismiss the cancer concerns and simply attributed his health struggles to an undisclosed “complication”.

The rumours continued to swirl, and last year, Kilmer denied the allegations once again after his The Ghost and the Darkness co-star Michael Douglas, who is in remission from tongue cancer, appeared to reveal his old pal had been diagnosed with the same ailment during an event in London. He told fans Kilmer was “dealing with exactly what I had, and things don’t look too good (sic) for him”, but in a post on Facebook, Kilmer insisted Douglas was “misinformed” and he had “no cancer whatsoever”.

Now, six months after Douglas’ remarks hit headlines, Kilmer has finally admitted he did suffer from the disease, but is adamant he is on the mend.

The 57-year-old made the admission during a recent Ask Me Anything exchange with fans on Reddit, after one person referred to Douglas’ cancer comments and asked, “What was the story behind that?”

“He was probably trying to help me cause press probably asked where I was these days, and I did have a healing of cancer, but my tongue is still swollen altho healing all the time (sic),” Kilmer replied.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oral cancer is no joke. It's on the rise with men and there are links to oral sex so if you have had a lot of mates and like to please you best be on guard.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Val is .. a bit weird these days, but Top Gun, Willow, HEAT, Tombstone.. some of my all time favourites growing up. Hopefully he is able to recover in time for Top Gun 2!!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hope he recovers, Ice Man is one of the best supporting characters in recent film history.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hollywood seems like such an odd place as he seemingly denies having an illness for years, then makes a public admission.

I wonder if he denied having any issues because eh was embarrassed, afraid of losing jobs or just in denial to himself.

hopefully things work out for him.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Oral cancer is no joke. It's on the rise with men and there are links to oral sex so if you have had a lot of mates and like to please you best be on guard.
You are a little more well-versed regarding oral cancer than I am entirely comfortable with.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Hollywood seems like such an odd place as he seemingly denies having an illness for years, then makes a public admission.

I wonder if he denied having any issues because eh was embarrassed, afraid of losing jobs or just in denial to himself.

hopefully things work out for him.
I think his physical appearance combined with being considered to be difficult to work with probably did more harm then cancer did.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Val is .. a bit weird these days, but Top Gun, Willow, HEAT, Tombstone.. some of my all time favourites growing up. Hopefully he is able to recover in time for Top Gun 2!!

I don't think its going to happen, its been floating around for about 3 years with no progress.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You are a little more well-versed regarding oral cancer than I am entirely comfortable with.
It gets a bit more recognition when actors like Kilmer, Michael Douglas get diagnosed but it's on the it's rising sharply in men and there are links to HPV which is sexually transmitted. It appears for men at least giving oral sex to your female partner just may be bad for your health so to those guys that don't like to do it you now have a somewhat valid excuse lol.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
It gets a bit more recognition when actors like Kilmer, Michael Douglas get diagnosed but it's on the it's rising sharply in men and there are links to HPV which is sexually transmitted. It appears for men at least giving oral sex to your female partner just may be bad for your health so to those guys that don't like to do it you now have a somewhat valid excuse lol.
Men can also get the HPV vaccine.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget Top Secret and The Doors. Two other great movies he was in.

Tombstone was great though. He was a real scene stealer in that.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In case you haven't fully read the AMA it's well worth it and one of the better ones on Reddit in a while. I think it was actually him typing and lots of fairly honest insight to his films if you're into that sort of thing.

It also looks like he took some time to comment on things in other subreddits.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
In case you haven't fully read the AMA it's well worth it and one of the better ones on Reddit in a while. I think it was actually him typing and lots of fairly honest insight to his films if you're into that sort of thing.

It also looks like he took some time to comment on things in other subreddits.
Was he asked about The Island of Dr. Moreau? Supposedly he nailed the director's wife, which caused him to have a nervous breakdown and go AWOL from the location in Australia.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I'm missing something but did Val Kilmer get cancer from giving oral sex? I mean, it's possible, but goddamn. . . kinda a sudden jump to a conclusion.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

EE just got a little caught up in his Top Gun fan fiction.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Don't forget Top Secret and The Doors. To other great movies he was in.

His performance as Jim Morrison is criminally underrated. Not only did he play the role to a T, and to the considerable satisfaction of the remaining Doors, but he sang the songs (well).
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Was he asked about The Island of Dr. Moreau? Supposedly he nailed the director's wife, which caused him to have a nervous breakdown and go AWOL from the location in Australia.
He wasn't asked specifically about that, but was asked about working with Brando. Still an interesting answer:

Brando was everything you want the major icon in your world to be, a genius and a gentleman. I was getting divorced at the time and he was so gracious about offering me time and considered thought. He offered to call my ex on behalf of the children. He was one of the funniest men on earth. I still laugh out loud about some of the things he said and did. i mean he literally wore a salad bowl over his head. Much has been said about how awful the experience was. There were several embarrassed execs who made it seem worse than it was to do because the film was so poorly received, and the replacement director was desperate for a comeback and blamed me for the films failure which doesn't hold water when you watch it because I die in the film and the whole last half is just as bad as when I was alive so how could I have made stuff I wasn't in not work? Doesn't make any sense. I worked like a dog to make that film as entertaining as I could because it was such a privilege to work with the greatest. He was not really respected tho and the film suffered greatly by not taking his suggestions. He always took major chances and that true daring always makes people nervous. He would improv, which I love, but they wouldn't film it or use what often did do. To be that great and that misunderstood. So sad... But I am so glad I did it. I begged the studio to film a documentary which I promised them was more interesting than what was happening in front of the camera, but no one ever took me up on it.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #18
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Don't forget Top Secret and The Doors. To other great movies he was in.

I liked him in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well. And he was hilarious as the villain in MacGruber.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #19
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

100 percent correct.
HPV related oral and esophageal cancers in men are on the rise significantly.
Have your kids, male and female, vaccinated.

Last edited by Dentoman; 05-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
His performance as Jim Morrison is criminally underrated. Not only did he play the role to a T, and to the considerable satisfaction of the remaining Doors, but he sang the songs (well).
Yeah, one of my favourites.

There was some controversy at the time when he was cast for the role. But he really nailed it.

I hope he pulls through this and makes a comeback.