Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #41
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That's basically where I'm at with Bishop. He's probably the best option, but probably at the worst price.
He had a forgettable year and is entering UFA in an oversaturated goalie market. I am actually coming around to thinking that Bishop will struggle to find a contract with big dollars and term. If he can be signed for < $6.0 m for 3–4 years, then that is a workable situation for the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #42
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Pickard would be a great guy to get. He played well this year considering how horrible the Avs were. He would come cheap because the Avs are exposing him in the expansion draft.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #43
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

While I would like to take a chance on Darling, I voted Bishop. Just seems like the likeliest choice right now.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #44
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I will agree that the Elliott and Johnson acquisitions from last summer were not Treliving's first choices—and I think given his history Elliott was quite possibly "Plan C" after he was unable to pluck Murray, and then to trade for Ben Bishop.

Treliving's history actually suggests that his first preference will be to find a younger goalie who is ready to be a big-game starter, and to grow with the current core. I think that this is what he will again try to do for a third year in a row—this might be his best chance with upcoming the expansion draft. The UFA goalie market, or a trade for a seasoned, older starter like MA Fleury is probably still a backup plan.
You aren't wrong, I'm sure he would love to get a young starter that could grow with the team. I just think that after Hiller, Ramo (re-sign), Elliott & Johnson he might be under the microscope a bit to finally get this right. Or at least give the impression he has before the season starts.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pondered that list for awhile. Ideally we have a guy that is a two year stop gap until Parsons can take over. Then I looked at numbers and my choice became Mike Smith pretty easily. Guy plays for a very crappy Yotes team and stands on his head every night.
Imo one of the most underrated starters in the NHL and behind our D he should easily put up .920-.930 save %.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This really depends on who else the Flames are bringing in to help the team. Bring in Kovalchuk at 6 million and you still keep Stajan and Bouma around, well, chances are you can only afford Elliott at 3.5 million
not happening
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #47
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I pondered that list for awhile. Ideally we have a guy that is a two year stop gap until Parsons can take over. Then I looked at numbers and my choice became Mike Smith pretty easily. Guy plays for a very crappy Yotes team and stands on his head every night.
Imo one of the most underrated starters in the NHL and behind our D he should easily put up .920-.930 save %.
I wouldn't mind Smith either
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He had a forgettable year and is entering UFA in an oversaturated goalie market. I am actually coming around to thinking that Bishop will struggle to find a contract with big dollars and term. If he can be signed for < $6.0 m for 3–4 years, then that is a workable situation for the Flames.
That would be incredible, and would make me very happy. I'm thinking it will take 5 x $6 million, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Dallas
Philly
Winnipeg

I wonder how hard (if at all) those teams will go after him?

Vegas
Carolina
Vancouver
NY islanders
Arizona
Buffalo

I could also see kicking tires and then shuffling goalies a bit of they were to get him.

Could drive the price up for sure.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #49
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Korpisalo.

Young goalie with lots of potential and has shown he can be a solid stopper.

Plus I love his name.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving has his work cut out for him as even for a fan like me it's really hard to make a decision and I don't have to live with the consequences or have fans, media, or employers second guess my choice.

I went with Fleury but the caveat is that the asking price isn't exorbitant. If the price is reasonable I like that the team is only on the hook for two years and IMO he has proven that he can be a solid NHL starting goaltender. If Rutherford is still asking for a first round pick I hang up and don't call back. Even a 2nd round pick is steep given the Penguins have to move him.

I thought about Grubauer but he hasn't played a lot of games in any season and he's a backup goaltender on one of the top defensive teams in the NHL which can be a red flag (see Ben Scrivens). Does Treliving want to hitch his wagon to an unknown given if it doesn't work out there will be serious questions pointed towards him given the past three seasons? His AHL numbers also look very good so if the price is fair he may be worth taking a flyer on although an experienced backup would be a must in this scenario.

Probably the safest bet short term is to sign Bishop but right now all we can do is speculate on how much term he's going to demand and if there's a team more desperate than the Flames that may give it to him. I feel a $5 million x 5 year deal is the absolute maximum I could commit to him given his age and injury history of late and I don't know if that gets it done.

This will be one of the more intriguing NHL storylines going into the draft/free agency for sure and it's not going to be easy for the GM as there's as many question marks as there is options.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #51
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Saros.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #52
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

sooooo I meant to click bishop but hit bernier by mistake.....This pole is now compromised
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #53
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There are a lot of moving parts to consider.

The first priority for me would be to find a starter that you can get for shorter term and reasonable dollars. 2 years preferred, and no more than 3. This buys time for a more informed decision on Gilles long term, plus gives Parson's some time.

Ben Bishop for the right dollar figure and term would be my top choice. I'd be willing to do 2 years at 12 as a first choice. I think 16 million over 3 years is going to be the lowest he will go. But I'd likely do that contract if that was an option.

I know Ryan Miller is partial to the West coast, California in particular, but if you could get him for 2 years at 5'ish, than he would be okay as a second option.

If those don't work out, than I guess the trade route is next. I'm not too keen on targeting another backup in hopes that the player would become a starter unless the acquisition cost was really low.

If you can't get those guys on those types of terms, than I think you explore the trade market to see what exists there.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #54
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop is my first choice, Grubaur, Mrazek, Darling, Korpisalo and then MAF round out the list.

I want a legit #1 guy like Bishop who I think we should sign on July 1, I do think they should target one of the good younger ones before the expansion draft because there will be teams who need to make moves.

How good would it be to have 3 years of Bishop and Grubaur as the tandem until one of Gillies or Parsons come in.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
... I know Ryan Miller is partial to the West coast, California in particular, but if you could get him for 2 years at 5'ish, than he would be okay as a second option...
Ryan Miller has had a few impressive seasons playing in Vancouver now, but he is already nearly 37-years-old. I would be very concerned about how much he has left in him, and also am not keen on adding a +35 contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #56
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I picked Bishop because I think he is the best goalie on the list, but he would have to be for the right price and term (3yrs).

I was tempted to pick Elliott as I would have no issues with him coming back and i do believe he is a great goalie who was the victim of some very very bad puck luck in the Ducks series, but i think the fans and media have all but run him out of town.

I'd be okay with Fluery short term, same with Mason/Bernier/Smith till our homegrown guys are ready.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #57
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop. Don't screw this up trying to be smarter than everyone else thinking you're going to find the next Talbot. Not when there's a guy available that's been nominated for the Vezina last year. He had a down year, use that to knock the price down. Not even that concerned about term unless it's 5+ years.

I don't think the Flames have the luxury of messing this up again. This core will be entering it's prime soon we can't have another goalie acquisition flop on us

Last edited by btimbit; 04-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #58
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted for Halak. 1 year left, so keeps options open going forward. Fits into the team budget with a $5m cap hit.

Finished the year strong with a 7-1 record after he was brought up from the minors and the pressure to make the playoffs was intense! Has actually played super well through his entire career minus the 3-headed circus situation that he was put in earlier this year.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #59
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pick Korpisalo, but want Schneider out of New Jersey or tuuka rask
Old 04-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I think Pickard would be a great guy to get. He played well this year considering how horrible the Avs were. He would come cheap because the Avs are exposing him in the expansion draft.
He's intriguing as I thought he battled hard every night despite playing behind a sad sack team but assuming he could instantly come in and be a consistent starting goaltender for a team that fancies itself as a playoff team may require a leap of faith. I would be totally fine with him as the backup if the cost is low.
Closed Thread